PDA

View Full Version : How difficult in FCP5?

lukemilnes
Oct 7, 2006, 07:01 AM
Im a newbie to the film making game, but i have been gifted the opportunity to make a small promo film for a band. I shot the tour last month and i now have 3 weeks to put together 3-5 mins of film from the 30 hours i took.

Im learning FCP in the process and i have some ideas, but i dont know how difficult it will be to achieve some of the things i have in mind.

I'd like to create an opening where i have a shot through a windscreen of the tour bus as it passes over tower bridge. The shot divides into a series of boxes (like a grid) with the boxes then becoming a shot of each individual gig, sort of moving thumbnail images all within one picture. Is this achievable?

Hope somebody out there can help!

FF_productions
Oct 7, 2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, it's possible, by turning on image+wireframe you move around the images and also keyframe them to make them smaller and turn it into an animation.

You can take the first shot, then shrink it via keyframes, then all the other shots surrounding it as it slowly zooms out to form something like a grid, is that what you are trying to achieve?

LethalWolfe
Oct 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
Once you get the hang of key framing and using the "scale", "crop", and "center" settings under the "motion" tab it's not hard, but it can be tedious and time consuming to get it exactly how you want it.

Lethal

ammon
Oct 11, 2006, 07:30 AM
I would suggest doing it in Motion.

It is possible to do it in FCP (as other readers have explained), but Motion makes it easier and quicker. It will take a couple hours to learn it, but in the end it will save you time!

PegasusMedia
Oct 11, 2006, 08:04 AM
30 hours of footage for a 3-5 minute promo? Dude, I hope you have a REALLY good coffee machine.

Ouch. 30 hours. That actually made me cringe in my seat as if I had been kicked in the you know what.

FF_productions
Oct 11, 2006, 04:36 PM
30 hours of footage for a 3-5 minute promo? Dude, I hope you have a REALLY good coffee machine.

Ouch. 30 hours. That actually made me cringe in my seat as if I had been kicked in the you know what.

Wow I forgot that little detail...

30 Hours? What the hell were u recording?:p