PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator CS2 Shift-Scale Not Working, HELP!

RichP
Oct 7, 2006, 05:03 PM
I cant get things to scale proportionally in Illustrator CS2. Hold down shift, nothing happens, I can scale things however (not in proportion) I tried CS2 on my laptop, same damn thing.

WTF? Anyone have this happen?

Blue Velvet
Oct 7, 2006, 05:19 PM
This rings a bell; I think someone recently had the same prob. It may have been cured by restarting the Mac and/or discarding Illustrator's preferences.

RichP
Oct 7, 2006, 05:33 PM
This rings a bell; I think someone recently had the same prob. It may have been cured by restarting the Mac and/or discarding Illustrator's preferences.

How do I discard illustrators preferences? Restart didnt help.

Blue Velvet
Oct 7, 2006, 05:40 PM
Quit Illustrator and then move the Preferences file onto your desktop; don't trash it at this stage. If Illustrator starts working properly again then throw it away. When you've removed it, start Illustrator up again. If it doesn't work put your prefs file back.

It's in:
(Your) Home Folder>Library>Preferences>Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings>Adobe Illustrator Prefs

You could also try ditching that entire 'Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings' folder. It'll create a new one upon app startup again.

Always worth a try when an app starts misbehaving.

RichP
Oct 7, 2006, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately, it didnt work :( I appreciate your quick help though, and I learned something new about preference files.

My CS1 is working fine, I think I may just use that for now.

Blue Velvet
Oct 7, 2006, 05:49 PM
Not that I'm saying that this is the problem but it reminds me of a colleague recently having problems with some keyboard shortcuts in Quark. We tried everything; discarding preferences, reinstalling the app, running from different accounts etc.

It was at the end of a long day and we were both tired and trying to get work out the door so weren't thinking entirely at our best.

In the end it turned out his keyboard was broken. :D

iMeowbot
Oct 7, 2006, 08:20 PM
Here's (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=219316) the older thread where this problem came up, it may or may not be useful.

RichP
Oct 7, 2006, 08:57 PM
Here's (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=219316) the older thread where this problem came up, it may or may not be useful.

I OWE YOU A BEER!

I searched before I posted, to no avail.

I checked out that thread, and, sure enough, Entourage was the culprit (as expected, its an MS program). I quit Illustrator, quit Entourage, and relaunched Illustrator, and it worked fine!

Thanks again, you and Blue Velvet really helped me out!

iMeowbot
Oct 8, 2006, 11:31 PM
No fault of yours on the search thing, that's for sure! It took a few tries to track it down even knowing what was in there.

Someone really ought to lock the Ms and Adobe devs into a room until they hash this out. How in the world could Entourage manage to do that, and how could only Illustrator be affected?

RichP
Oct 9, 2006, 07:24 AM
No fault of yours on the search thing, that's for sure! It took a few tries to track it down even knowing what was in there.

Someone really ought to lock the Ms and Adobe devs into a room until they hash this out. How in the world could Entourage manage to do that, and how could only Illustrator be affected?

Actually, the shift-scale (constrain) doesnt work in Photoshop either when Entourage is running. Also appears to be only Entourage 2004 with CS2. My girlfriend has CS1 on her machine, and it would scale fine.

Its amazing, and it only appears to affect that one feature. Its amazing that the developers would overlook this, and that it doesnt cause a more program or systemwide instability.

JasonElise1983
Oct 9, 2006, 09:40 AM
Actually i had that same problem with CS1 back in the day. Became one of the may reasons i quit using Entourage. With me, it was an issue of which one was started first. If i started Entourage first, i would have that Scaling isuee. If I started Illustrator first, it would work. Go figure.

-JE

RichP
Oct 9, 2006, 01:12 PM
With mine, whenever Entourage is running, I cant use the feature. Soon as I shut it off, its fine.

itomi
Aug 28, 2008, 10:35 AM
I have the same problem in Illustrator CS3 with Leopard 10.5.4: shift-scale doesn't work and alt-duplicate too..
also if I try to press the spacebar to use the "hand" and move the document but it don't work..

I haven't entourage and I've tried to shut down and/or restart too.. without luck

damn I'm screwed.. I use that shortcuts everyday..

Any help??

thanks.

Definity
Aug 28, 2008, 10:49 AM
Have you got the bounding box on? If so, does it move at all?

itomi
Aug 28, 2008, 11:15 AM
Have you got the bounding box on? If so, does it move at all?

yes and yes.. it's the constrain feature that don't work at all.

jerryrock
Aug 28, 2008, 03:46 PM
Hold down Command+Option+Shift while starting Illustrator to reset preferences. This should be the first troubleshooting step.

Jerry

itomi
Aug 29, 2008, 04:10 AM
Hold down Command+Option+Shift while starting Illustrator to reset preferences. This should be the first troubleshooting step.

Still no luck

it seems that there are interferences from other programs running on the system, but I can't find the one that is ruining my shortcuts..

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5e601

I have the universal access turned down and no other strange activity in the activity monitor..

damn.. this is nuts.

itomi
Aug 29, 2008, 05:23 AM
FIXED!

It was Boxee, http://boxee.tv/ the mediacenter, there's a process related to Boxee also when it's not running.. kill that process with the Activity Monitor.

Damn, it seems that there's a lot of different programs that causes this problem..

Adobe need to fix this in the Illustrator side.. this is a major bug in my point of view, shortcuts are essential for my job.. :(

thanks to all.

lem0nayde
Sep 6, 2008, 11:52 PM
Found this thread while trying to solve the same problem. Just wanted to chime in to say that Boxee was the culprit for me too.

Killing the process in Activity Monitor didn't work for me, it kept restarting itself. So, I trashed the Boxee app, restarted and everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help! I was going bonkers.

phoenix1269
Oct 2, 2008, 11:39 AM
thank you thank you thank you...
i thought i was loosing my mind.

in my case it was Illustrator CS3, OSX 10.4 + Word & Entourage ... i almost never use word, but frequently have entourage running... I've tried it now with just one MS program, and i had no issues... but when both are open... pfft... no hand/scrolling; no opt-drag for duplicating...

it's all good now... thanks for putting me in the right ball park!

:D

cschoolland
Jan 26, 2010, 03:38 PM
It was Google Chrome for me! I waited til last to restart it because of all the forums I was referencing (and actual work I was trying to get done).

Version info:
- Google Chrome 4.0.249.49 (35163) beta
- Adobe Illustrator CS3 (13.0.2)

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has been having the same problem recently, and if Chrome is to blame....

Cheers!
Cory

khamla
Jan 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
I was going to start a post like this too, all of a sudden now I can't scale manually with the arrow tool on my CS2! I have a white box near the arrow tool is that something? I'm sure it is, what in the hell did i do? How do i fix this asap!!?

sageturk
Jan 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
same as the user above, google chrome was the culprit for me (latest chrome build, illustrator CS3). Had a mild panic attack - glad it wasn't something serious. Shame though - was really enjoying using Chrome but illustrator pulls rank 'mfraid.

khamla
Jan 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
same as the user above, google chrome was the culprit for me (latest chrome build, illustrator CS3). Had a mild panic attack - glad it wasn't something serious. Shame though - was really enjoying using Chrome but illustrator pulls rank 'mfraid.

What the heck is google chrome i think i just pushed some setting on my CS2 by accident. I can't even scale images using the black arrow tool. The Bounding box is missing!! You know like if i make a circle or logo if u click on it with your arrow there's a square bounding box to pull it to scale, nothing works. I can't scale nothing, i just have to do it by the transform thing by percentage but its annoying.

ALSO, i have CS4, but i'm working with my CS2 for now. Don't ask, just work with me here. My CS4 I can scale fine, but my CS2 i can't select it and drag it to scale, whats going on? Someone please help!!

(EDITED) FIXED!! I went to VIEW > Bounding box!!

See i knew it was something simple.

bandelier
Feb 1, 2010, 10:43 AM
This just started happening to me today - I was using Illustrator/Photoshop CS3 last night, everything was just fine. I woke up this morning, no control over the aspect ratio of anything when holding the shift key. I reset my Illustrator preferences, restarted my computer, nothing worked. I closed Entourage, deleted Boxee, still nothing.

This is nuts - HELP! I can't survive without this feature - is so key. What the heck could have possibly caused this???

hennaheto
Feb 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
hulu desktop was messing with me and illustrator CS4

nihilista
Mar 14, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hi.
I also began to experience problems with the keys from an update. In system monitor finishes processing universal access, then restart Illustrator and the problem was fixed.
I hope this information is useful

:apple: ppc g4 osx 10.4.11 illustrator cs3

gizmo1204
Mar 15, 2010, 02:36 PM
I have quit entourage, restarted my computer multiple times, restarted Illustrator (I have CS4) multiple times, I don't have boxeetv or hulu or google chrome on my comp, and I've deleted the prefs file multiple times.

Nothing works! The shift key will not scale proportionally. The only thing that does happen is when I reboot- the shift key works the way its supposed to for about 5 minutes before it stops scaling correctly...

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm really lost....

mac4rheel
Mar 15, 2010, 03:39 PM
Tried to think of any updates that I did recently and the only one was for my browser. Quit Firefox and voila, got my shift key back!

Gizmo, are you using Firefox as your browser?

gizmo1204
Mar 15, 2010, 04:03 PM
wow. you're right, it must be the update from firefox this am. Just quit it, and am using safari, and so far (knock wood) the shift key works again...

what could the problem be, and do we think they're gonna fix it? I hope so, firefox is my favorite...

mac4rheel
Mar 15, 2010, 05:01 PM
I have no idea what it could be. I'm sure it'll probably be addressed in the next update if someone reports it to them. I too prefer firefox.

nelaii
Mar 28, 2010, 03:24 PM
this just happened to me, but I wasn't running entourage or anything, then realised the only thing that I had dont that I don't normally do was turn on Facebook chat. Turned that off, quit firefox and Illustrator and restarted both and it worked again.

Sandragoras
Apr 10, 2010, 12:19 AM
Is this problem have something to do with Firefox update? I am at the verge of a nervous attack, with both Cs4 and Cs3 illustrator and indesign failures. It is not only about shift key... it wont duplicate, nor show certain tools! I'm going to shut down firefox now... and if it works, I'll love you people forever. :p

Thanks a lot!
Regards from Mexico City

molivier
Apr 14, 2010, 11:02 AM
This just started happening to me today - I was using Illustrator/Photoshop CS3 last night, everything was just fine. I woke up this morning, no control over the aspect ratio of anything when holding the shift key. I reset my Illustrator preferences, restarted my computer, nothing worked. I closed Entourage, deleted Boxee, still nothing.

This is nuts - HELP! I can't survive without this feature - is so key. What the heck could have possibly caused this???

I just started having the same issue again (resetting preferences helped once but not this time). Went through every other app that I had opened (I don't use Boxxee or Entourage) and it seems to happen if I have Firefox open and log into my gmail account...which is really fricking weird. Had Gmail open earlier, no problems then all of a sudden, problem with the Command and Shift short cut keys (for scaling, duplicating, etc.) in Illustrator. Narrowed it down to Gmail. Log out, it works, log in, it doesn't. Grrr....

molivier
Apr 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
Tried to think of any updates that I did recently and the only one was for my browser. Quit Firefox and voila, got my shift key back!

Gizmo, are you using Firefox as your browser?

Ditto here (thought it was just Gmail...but it was Firefox). Silly updates.

cschoolland
Apr 15, 2010, 02:40 AM
interesting ... Gmail (&c) is a rather unique web experience in that it enables keyboard shortcuts within the site. It would make sense if that implementation was somehow causing the Illustrator issue... anyone else have similar Google-related experiences?

yo curtdog
Aug 26, 2010, 04:28 PM
After reading through the thread I realized that what was actually happening was that we were not completely leaving other programs/internet windows when returning to illustrator or photoshop.

EASY FIX!!!! use the key command Command + Tab to switch programs out of illustrator and then back in and it will work fine.

:):):)

68-east
Sep 23, 2010, 08:01 AM
illustrator CS3, OS 10.4.1

closing down Firefox 3.6.3 fixes the constrain issue instantly without having to restart Illustrator.

Thanks folks!

Kristy Ewing
Oct 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
Thank you to all those who posted their solutions. It appears browsers in general are creating havoc. I was experiencing the same problem with Firefox being the offender. As soon as I quit Firefox the ability to scale images proportionately while holding down the shift key was restored. It continues to work as advertised even after restarting Firefox. Go figure. For the record, I am using Illustrator CS3 on a new Intel Core laptop Mac OSX 10.6.4. and Firefox version 3.6.10.

Shoesy
Oct 6, 2010, 05:45 PM
Just a little hint for those whose problems were not resolved by the browser talk...

I was using ctrl B on my windows PC to select bold type in office apps- the same shortcut turns the bounding box off in inDesign and illustrator. Try pressing it again to set it back.

I know it is a little off topic but hope it helps someone one day. ;)

Sdashiki
Dec 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
since this just happened to me and googling brought me here for it, I thought id update on this issue.

using Illustrator CS5, iMac running 10.6.5

Shift-aspect was not working at all.

Firefox 3.6.3, quit it and illustrator goes back to normal. Reopened FF, still normal.

So there ya go, try quitting your web browsers first...

nelly9527
Jan 26, 2011, 07:23 PM
(EDITED) FIXED!! I went to VIEW > Bounding box!!

You are a legend!!!thank you so much...such a simple fix...

hdubdesign
Feb 17, 2011, 01:10 PM
I was having these same AI CS3 issues all the sudden. Space bar (hand) scroll didn't work, nor the shift/scale, or even the bounding box snapping to different degrees holding shift key. Nor did the option/drag feature to duplicate. With Illustrator still running I just turned off all other apps that were running (ps3 and Firefox..not that it matters) My illustrator functions all worked fine without even a restart of illustrator. Then I booted Photoshop and Firefox back up and the problem is still fixed.

Dodged a bullet on that one.

Poolboy
Mar 7, 2011, 10:41 PM
Was having the same issue until I quit Fetch (FTP client). Seems to work fine now.

maly
Mar 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
Shift constrain and duplicate completely non functional. Deleted preferences, deleted settings, no other apps running other than illustrator CS4 nothing works.
Running Illustrator CS4, Mac OS X 10.5.8. Please help, any suggestions welcome?

irishgrizzly
Mar 31, 2011, 05:14 AM
Shift constrain and duplicate completely non functional. Deleted preferences, deleted settings, no other apps running other than illustrator CS4 nothing works.
Running Illustrator CS4, Mac OS X 10.5.8. Please help, any suggestions welcome?

I had this problem yesterday on CS5, was fixed after a restart later in the day, but while I didn't have time to look for a fix I used the scale option to resize elements.

Meifiower
Sep 6, 2011, 08:30 PM
After reading through this forum, I shut down every program one by one and tried relaunching Illustrator and pressing Option + Command + Shift after each in the below order...

1. Entourage
2. Word
3. Excel
4. Adobe
5. Photoshop
6. Chrome

...and Google Chrome was definitely the issue. Was totally ******** myself over the loss of hotkeys functionality so thanks guys for all the pointers!

The Beatles
Sep 6, 2011, 09:02 PM
unbelievable. I dont understand why the system or application won't/can't tell you that theres a conflict with another application. And i thought all apps ran in there own sand box or memory space.

I don't know, this sounds like OS8 to me. Dark ages.

vivcenzo
Oct 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
Same thing happened to me. As soon as I quit Firefox, the problem was solved. I didn't even have to restart Illustrator. Weird!

dotheDVDeed
Oct 20, 2011, 01:11 PM
Firefox effed me up as well.

But before then I trashed preferences. Quit Entourage. But none of those worked until I quit Firefox.

Thanks for all before who posted here.

Idelsy
Feb 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
Yup - Google chrome seems to be what caused the trouble for me too

HBSteve
Mar 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
Illustrator CS5.1
OS 10.7.3

Nothing running except illustrator... trashed prefs, no luck,
Didn't have any of the other apps mentioned above...

Did notice an adobe flash update that had popped up... ignored it

Nothing worked... and as I was writing this I closed a few menu bar items, and well it fixed it (closed a calendar, drive mounting , a battery monitor, and mobile mouse)... weird how that happens.. thought I'd share since i tried everything listed above with no luck.

Wish I could pinpoint it more, but like everyone else, so far this problem has no rhyme or reason and we have seen quite a few 'fixes' here.

HBSteve
Mar 31, 2012, 06:48 PM
Happened again...

This time i did the same as before but checked illustrator after each process to be closed...

this time the culprit was google chrome.. now for us to find the complete culprit did anyone with no extensions on chrome have this happen or perhaps is it an extension perhaps..

Im currently running the following:
Adblock Plus
Adblock+ Element Hiding Helper
Craigslist Preview
Eye Dropper
Skype Links
TinEye
Ultimate YouTube Downloader
Unshorten.it
WOT
YouTube Downloader

So Anyone else having same issue using these extensions or perhaps none at all?