PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook SuperDrive problem HELP!

nickelbackmac
Oct 8, 2006, 10:06 AM
It's a SuperDrive but it acts like a CD-ROM drive! I inserted a DVD so I could burn a project on it, and it makes a few funny sounds then ejects the DVD. Doesn't find it or indentify it or anything, it just ejects it. And the settings for when a blank DVD is inserted is to open Finder, so it shouldn't just eject the disc.

Anybody know what to do?

BTW it burns and reads CD's fine, plays DVD's but just won't accept blank ones.

nickelbackmac
Oct 8, 2006, 01:22 PM
C'mon people! I want to use the DVD burning feature as well!

devman
Oct 8, 2006, 02:06 PM
Have you tried other DVD media? Are you sure your drive supports the media (e.g. DVD-RW or DVD+RW etc.)? Run System Profiler and click on Disc Burning to see the support types.

nickelbackmac
Oct 8, 2006, 02:21 PM
Have you tried other DVD media? Are you sure your drive supports the media (e.g. DVD-RW or DVD+RW etc.)? Run System Profiler and click on Disc Burning to see the support types.

It says...

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815:

Firmware Revision: DWDB
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

nickelbackmac
Oct 8, 2006, 05:53 PM
OK, now it works!

leroy84
Oct 30, 2006, 02:44 AM
Nickelbackmac- How can you end the story like that!

Mine is going through the same problems- how did you fix yours!
Please Help :confused:

Regards
Leroy

NewSc2
Oct 30, 2006, 03:24 AM
I had that drive. It was really picky with media, or so I've heard. I always used Made in Japan Fuji DVD-R's. You could always use the expensive Apple DVD-R's to check.

Buzzaki
Nov 5, 2006, 09:52 AM
I had the same problem, and realized that I was operating under the false assumption that my PowerBook G4 was equipped with a superdrive. After all, it burns CDs, plays DVDs, and it came with iDVD.

Not the case. I've got a combo.