Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hello,
I capture MPG2 off Eye TV and then I need to export it to another format before importing it into iMovie, then import the movie into iDVD to burn.
I want to keep the video at the best quality.
Questions:
1. What format should I export the video out of Eye TV?
2. I have tried both .dv and .mov but it takes about 2 hours to import the video into iMovie. Why? What is the native format for iMovie so it doesn't have problems importing? What should I use to render the video for best quality for iDVD?
3. My captured video is in 2 parts so I thought I could just import both parts into iDVD and create my own chapters but I can't get this to work. I just want to create a start button for the first movie and have it flow to the second video but when I import both videos it creates 2 start menu's. How can I do this?
Thanks for your help.

Stormybot

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
brewser said:
Hello,
I capture MPG2 off Eye TV and then I need to export it to another format before importing it into iMovie, then import the movie into iDVD to burn.
I want to keep the video at the best quality.
Questions:
1. What format should I export the video out of Eye TV?
2. I have tried both .dv and .mov but it takes about 2 hours to import the video into iMovie. Why? What is the native format for iMovie so it doesn't have problems importing? What should I use to render the video for best quality for iDVD?
3. My captured video is in 2 parts so I thought I could just import both parts into iDVD and create my own chapters but I can't get this to work. I just want to create a start button for the first movie and have it flow to the second video but when I import both videos it creates 2 start menu's. How can I do this?
Thanks for your help.

1) If you can do .dv, do that. iMovie converts to .dv anyways.
2) Try this: Create a blank iMovie project, save, and then close it. Then go to it in the Finder and ctrl+click (or left click) the project to bring up the menu and select Show Package Contents. Navigate to the Media folder and put your .dv files in there. Then open your iMovie project again and it will tell you that there are some movies in the trash. These are the ones that you places in the Media folder. Show the trash contents and just drag them out into iMovie and you can edit.
3) Combine the two movies in iMovie and drag the entire iMovie project to iDVD.

Hope this helps. Others may have better answers since I am somewhat new to video editing on a Mac. But this is what I have done for old DVD's that I am trying to edit.

brewser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
That works great. Thanks for the tip.
Those .dv files get to be huge. I wish there was an easier way then converting to .dv and then have iDVD convert back to mpg2. It seems like such a waste. Any other products out there that do a better job?
In the Windows world I used TMPeg DVD program that was easy and very quick. I could remove the commercials and it would rebuild the mpg2 file and burn to disk in about 30 min. for a 2 hour DVD. I wish they made a product for mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.