Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret reports that the long-awaited iPod revisions will be coming by months' end:

A re-designed Apple iPod in two new hard drive sizes with control buttons and a docking/charging station will be announced toward the end of April, sources have confirmed to Think Secret. The new models will be available in 15GB and 30GB sizes, as the 5GB and 20GB models will be discontinued.

ThinkSecret also posts an artist rendition of the new case design and docking station. Another new feature reported includes USB 2.0 (for PC users). ThinkSecret pegs the update for the last week of April and expects Apple's rumored Music service to be introduced at the same time.

This correlates with the April 28th date offered by Appleinsider as the day Apple will unveil the new service.

The last iPod revision was on July 17, 2002.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Well I'm glad that I've got the old style button setup, but I hope we don't get a lot of flat-earthers complaining about the change in styling. It's not that big of a deal. It's just Apple's way of making the older model look, well, old so you'll go out and buy a new one.

The docking station seems downright silly, though, unless they put the port on the bottom. I'm sure the readout on the display will flip, but it will still look funny. Just what I need is another chunk of plastic to kick around my desk. :rolleyes:

RLB

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Interesting since there has been no talk of a 15 and 30 gb ipod. Either way, I can't wait. I just hope we don't have to wait another 3 months until they ship.

hulele

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
The only thing that seems to be interesting to me is the USB port. But only if I could hook up my digicam to that little beauty and download pics....

Well, but then I think I read somewhere that USB is not peer-to-peer, but rather requires a computer....

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I'm all for the new buttons but it will take away the sexiness of the player. that is it of this thing is for real. And what happened to Ozzy saying he had a 40GB ipod?

I'm planning on selling my Cd based mp3 player to get one if they do end coming out.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I don't like the design. The buttons should be surrounding the wheel. It looks much more simpler, which is what the iPod is supposed to be like.

And I don't think you're supposed to believe everything Ozzy says... come on, it's Ozzy! :D

irmongoose

Hozie

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah, I agree about the buttons. Th old ones not only look better, but are undoubtedly more functional as you'd have to shift the 'Pod in your hand to reach the buttons in the new model, as TS indicates.

I must say that I don't see the point of having a cradle. What good is that going to do? Anyway, 15 and 30 gig seem like good sizes to me...

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Cynical: the new design seems like a step BACKWARD in ergonomics. I thought the drives used in the iPod are available in 40GB, not 30GB. And USB2 on an Apple product? I don't think so. Sure, for Windows users, but why not continue to promote the Firewire standard: if you want an iPod you have to drop a very small amount of money on a Firewire PCI card.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by sanford
Cynical: the new design seems like a step BACKWARD in ergonomics. I thought the drives used in the iPod are available in 40GB, not 30GB. And USB2 on an Apple product? I don't think so. Sure, for Windows users, but why not continue to promote the Firewire standard: if you want an iPod you have to drop a very small amount of money on a Firewire PCI card.

Maybe apple concluded that firewire is stifling the Windows version sales, so they put on USB2. Sort of odd, though, since it means no one could take a windows pod and switch to mac with it, since, as we know, apple refuses to support usb2. (although I agree -- what does a firewire card cost, $30?) (Edit: Looking at the rendering, maybe the cradle allows the pod itself to be interface neutral, and the cradle is either USB2 or Firewire, so all you'd need is a new cradle; of course, that makes using the pod as a portable drive a PITA)

As for the cradle, we'll have to see the implementation. If they put the FW/USB plug on the bottom, and design a cradle a la a palm or cell phone, it would be even more convenient than plugging it in. Although only marginally so. (Edit: From the "artist's rendering" it looks like the cradle has the connection in the center, whereas the 'pod has it on the top right -- maybe there's a second connector on the bottom for docking in the cradle, so the 'pod won't be "upside down" during docking).

Datazoid

macrumors regular
May 10, 2002
Got to agree...this new design, while Im sure it looks fine...just....isnt as "revolutionary". Seems more normal, more expected, and less ergonomic, as others have said. Sorry to be a "flat-earther"....but I like my iPod just the way it is. It makes me a little more happy that I didn't wait, though...

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
"New" Design

It certainly doesn't make sense that Apple would go to a standard button design when the current one has been one of the things that has made the iPod so great. I don't believe the pics are accurate. It's a step backwards and makes the iPod ordinary.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
It definitely does not seem very Apple-like to do this -- there's no ergonomic or aesthetic advantage; in fact, it is a step backward in both areas (at least I think most people would agree).

I wish TS would explain the basis for this rumor, and especially the basis for the artist's rendition.

Also, is the 15/30gb part of the rumor consistent with OEM specs? I.e., are these drives available in the right size?

Monkeypoo

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2003
90 - 30
no! no! no!

I honestly hate the look of the "thinksecret commissioned artist rendering" (seems fancy for "I asked my son to doodle it out last night") and don't see why they thought that would happen and hoping they're 100% wrong. I also hope they're wrong about dropping the 20 since I was hoping there would be a price drop if a higher one was released. If their prediction is right, then I still have to spend the most money for the pod I want. I didn't want a 10 but rather a 20 so why would I buy a 15? Anyone know think secrets's track record on rumor accuracy?
oh and since I was hoping to get it at best buy, I'd be getting the new revision version though I'm aware of a slim possibility of getting the 20 cheaper if think secret happens to be right

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Re: no! no! no!

Originally posted by Monkeypoo
Anyone know think secrets's track record on rumor accuracy?

As far as I'm concerned, they generally run a very good system and get a lot of what they say right. But their MacWorld predictions have been a bit askew, recently, I think. What I read on think secret I consider as highly likely. That's why I find this article so jarring. Like everyone's said, the button arrangement just doesn't seem very Apple, and the docking station.. eh. It could just be a result of mis-communication between what they know and what the artist envisioned. I for one don't think the iPod needs much in the way of an interface overhaul, it's great, simple and elegant as it is. :)

Adurbe

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2003
Wales
Why on earth would apple use USB2?!

One its not firewire, so the iPod could not charge via the computer, you would need to plug it into the mains

Two apple has not supported it on any apple product, why would the bother on the iPod?

Three its slower! And dont say USB2 runs @ 480, thats its theoretical max and it cant even nearly reach that if it is transmitting power at the same time

WestCoast

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
Aberystwyth
USB/Firewire cable

Does anyone remember talk of an unusual cable - one with Firewire one end and Firewire/USB at the other a few weeks back. Could this be for compatibility for use on Mac/Windows machines?

Just a thought ...

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Ha!

Has no one scorned this rumor yet? Not one mention of how silly iPod rumors are? Sure, this one might be true about the date (the other stuff seems questionable to me - incongruent with many other rumor), but come on, someone needs to scoff and laugh at any iPod rumor making front page.

Please!

cdburrows

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
just a thought - no where in this design is there any menu button... strange:confused: I think this rumour is nonsense... really why not make Panther OS9:mad: I don't think so...

Apple would never take this route, lets wait and see...

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
this is a small list of toshiba drive avavliable in the 9.5 mm format.
15 and 30 seems unlikly as the 20 40 60 give people more choices. seeing that a lot of newer drive have droped in price. lacies own pocket firewire drives cost range very from 190 for 20
to 350 for a 60.

15GB capacity
9.5mm High
13ms Average Seek Time
ATA-5 Interface
100MB/sec_ Transfer Rate
2,048KB Buffer
300,000 MTTF Hours

20GB capacity
9.5mm High
13ms Average Seek Time
ATA-5 Interface
100MB/sec_ Transfer Rate
2,048KB Buffer
300,000 MTTF Hours

30GB capacity
9.5mm High
13ms Average Seek Time
ATA-5 Interface
100MB/sec_ Transfer Rate
2,048KB Buffer
300,000 MTTF Hours

40GB capacity
9.5mm High
13ms Average Seek Time
ATA-5 Interface
100MB/sec_ Transfer Rate
2,048KB Buffer
300,000 MTTF Hours

60GB capacity
Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) motor drive
9.5mm High
12ms Average Seek Time
ATA-5 Interface
100MB/sec_ Transfer Rate
2,048KB Buffer
300,000 MTTF Hours

i am just hoping the go 20 40 60

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Hey I though the "iPods Next Tuesday" threads were dead!:p Eventhough I would like to see (and buy) a new iPod soon, I won't be suprised if we still don't have new iPods by the 30th. I'd also expect to see rumors about an iTunes update and more on Apples Music purchasing service.

Raid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.