Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
What's the history behind this site? Who started it and when? Does he/she still post here regularly too? (I imagine so but...)

Sorry if this has already been answered/or is obvious. Tried searching but...

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
katie ta achoo said:
I don't think so, but I'm pretty sure you can pick up a WWDC on the cheap.

Forgive my ignorance but what is a WWDC? (notice it says newbie up there ok...) ;)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
thedude110 said:
The history of MacRumors, as of 2003.

There's a much funnier history kicking around in the Archives forum, but drned if I can find it ...
If you're referring to the one with switzermac (sp) and his bid, I searched around, but he is no longer. There may be something in the unmentionable area.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
thedude110 said:
There's a much funnier history kicking around in the Archives forum, but drned if I can find it ...

Was it this?

The Five Eras of the Macrumors Forums

Chapter 1

In the beginning there was blakespot and he said "let there be forums" and there were forums. Thus the Macrumors forums were created. The ability to allow comments on news articles began to draw a community that soon swelled to near 1500 and there was rejoicing. Alongside the rejoicing came flamewars, but mostly rejoicing.

Chapter 2

But alas, not all was well in the Macrumors forums, the admins grew dissatisfied with the rather primitive comment system and thus the site integrated a new backend. Gone was the primitive comment system and in it's place stood the glorious pillar that was vBulliten. And so it came to pass that in April of the year of our lord 2001 all of the existing members departed on an exodus to the new forums.

Chapter 3

By August 2001 the ranks of Macrumors began to swell and many familiar faces such as dukestreet began to arrive. Over the next few months Macrumors enjoyed a massive influx of new sane users. But in Feburary 2002 the serenity was shattered. A chosen son was cast out of the glorious forums by God himself, never to return. The message was clear: "One cannot go aginst the word of God." And while most accepted this a few dissented and were exiled or fled.

Chapter 4

Community Discussion was enjoying it's golden age until it was shattered. A massive influx of posters with no other purpose then political discussion arrived. The sane members fled while a few were trapped by the Siren's call of flame bait. Finally the political threads were exiled to the darkest corner of the forums, in the hopes that they would never be seen again. The demi-gods began to roam the Earth alongside mortals in this time, it was a time of magic and strife. The Gods even delegated some of their powers to a few Chosen Ones.

Chapter 5

We now live in the fifth era. New members who somehow accumulate massive amounts in a short time continually amaze while Hell's minions still attempt their occasional attack on the forums.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/417351/

;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
MacRumours was created in 27 A.D. by the Romans. True story.

How much to buy MR from Arn? If he wants to sell it to me, I can buy it. He just needs to give me some time for my funds to clear, but once that part is done, I will have enough funds to pay for the site in full. Does he accept cheques?

-Abstract from Nigeria.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Abstract said:
If he wants to sell it to me, I can buy it.
As it turns out, site owners need 500,000 posts before they are eligible to use the MacRumors Marketplace to sell the site. That rule helps keep the riff-raff site owners out.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Blue Velvet said:
Was it this?

The Five Eras of the Macrumors Forums

Damn, hadn't seen that one - but since that post was almost 3 years ago we're into Chapter 6 by now, maybe even 7.

Death of a Mod, new age of Demis/Contributors - 1 then 2 million posts.... so much has happened.

And who's "dukestreet" :p

D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
spicyapple said:
One of switzermac's many "philanthropic" ventures. :)

You haven't been around here that long - how do you know about switzermac? :confused:

And I'm curious too, who is that in your avatar?

Mr. Anderson said:

That takes me back! Yeah, I remember that guy as well from my lurking/infant days on MR... ;)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I was a lurker since about 2003 then joined on Apple's birthday.Then later contributed..I have always had this weird yet funny suspicion that arn is Nick DePlume :D

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
And who's this longofest character that all of the sudden one day starts posting to the front-page? Maybe he's really swizermac, and its all a big conspiracy, and really MacRumors has been bought we just don't know it!

Or not...

la de da...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Mr. Anderson said:
Damn, hadn't seen that one - but since that post was almost 3 years ago we're into Chapter 6 by now, maybe even 7.

Death of a Mod, new age of Demis/Contributors - 1 then 2 million posts.... so much has happened.

D
Its time for the MR mini series.

Is it possible to get a timeline of Macrumors from Beginning to present.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.