Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Link

James Cameron is trying to bring 3-D movies back into the mainstream with his latest Titanic tale, “Ghosts of the Abyss.” But this isn’t your father’s 3-D, with gimmicky plots and headache-inducing perspectives. Rather than reviving 1950s technology, “Ghosts of the Abyss” introduces 21st-century tricks that Cameron believes could well save Hollywood from its Internet nightmares.

Looks pretty cool IMO.

Lethal

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I haven't been to a movie theatre in almost 20 years! "Ghosts of the Abyss" by James Cameron in 3D is a movie that has attracted my interest. I saw "Titanic" DVD on my Power Mac.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by wdlove
I haven't been to a movie theatre in almost 20 years! "Ghosts of the Abyss" by James Cameron in 3D is a movie that has attracted my interest. I saw "Titanic" DVD on my Power Mac.

3D movies are ok, but I'm not that big of a fan of having to wear goggles or a head set that someone else has been wearing before me.

wdlove - you should make an effort to go see a movie if you haven't been in 20 years. Every once in a while seeing something on the big screen is quite impressive.

I'd definitely go see Matrix Reloaded at the theater, one film that won't work as well on the tv or computer....

D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by dukestreet
3D movies are ok, but I'm not that big of a fan of having to wear goggles or a head set that someone else has been wearing before me.

wdlove - you should make an effort to go see a movie if you haven't been in 20 years. Every once in a while seeing something on the big screen is quite impressive.

I'd definitely go see Matrix Reloaded at the theater, one film that won't work as well on the tv or computer....

D

I've seen 2 3D movies. One was at an Imax theater and it was about an boy immagrant and his family coming to NY in the early 1900's the other was the Terminator attraction at Universal pictures in LA. Both times you just had to wear this oversized bozo-looking plastic"glasses." The thing at the Imax was okay, but the Terminator "ride" was freakin' awesome. I think any aciton or adventure movie would totally kick @ss in 3D.

Lethal

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
I heart there will be a cinema opening, which has this 3d screen.
But is that possible ? a show is nothing else than projected light. But perhaps it will one day be possible to do something like that. Who knows.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
I wish James Cameron would go onto some new subject matter. The guy is a genius and he needs to start making some kickass movies again. Don't go for the drama angle again James. You have a tin ear for it.
Somebody has to say it.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Imax 3D in more cinemas & 3D in digital

In the last two weeks I read that James Cameron is persuading cinemas to upgrade their screens & projectors to show Ghosts Of The Abyss the way it was meant to be shown. We could very well see more movies released in the same Imax 3D format which personally I really enjoy (except for the high prices compared to the average movie).

I wonder if normal aspect cinema screens can also do 3D using similar technology as the Imax 3D system. Perhaps this is something that could be more economically feasible with digital projectors that need less space (since the movies come on hard drives, not film) and can play back more frames per second (since the format is digital).

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
Hmmm....

Okay, I have to get this obligatory few words out to James Cameron: MOVE ON!!!!

Okay, that feels better. Ahem! Besides that, I really enjoy his films. Saw Aliens probably 3-4 times back to back when it came out. Maybe he should concentrate on Avatar or something like that.

The funny thing, in Albert Brook's film, THE MUSE, Cameron makes a cameo wherein Sharon Stone plays a muse who gives him and Martin Scorcese some helpful advice. Her advise to Cameron? "Stay away from the water."

Well, it looks like that's an impossibility for Cameron. Hmmm. Interesting.

I'll probably go see the 3D show at some point, but I just don't find the hook to draw me. Feels like a "been there, done that" scenario, if you know what I mean. :D

Perci Mac

macrumors member
Originally posted by wdlove

Dude, what about Lord of the Rings? If you haven't see The Two Towers on bigscreen, you missin' out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.