PDA

View Full Version : MS Zune battles iPod: Will consumers rent their music librar...

MacBytes
Oct 9, 2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: MS Zune battles iPod: Will consumers rent their music library? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061009180607)
Description:: Microsoft is counting on its optional subscription download model to appeal to consumers. Do you want to rent your music library? If not, little sets Zune apart from Apple's champion player.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

billyboy
Oct 9, 2006, 08:37 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: MS Zune battles iPod: Will consumers rent their music library? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061009180607)
Description:: Microsoft is counting on its optional subscription download model to appeal to consumers. Do you want to rent your music library? If not, little sets Zune apart from Apple's champion player.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Seems like another bad idea from Redmond. Although if it does take off with subscriptions, I expect Apple have a new iPod button and a website mod ready and waiting so they can introduce, overnight, the subscription option too.

But nobody has asked for rent a music so far in enough numbers to convince Apple to change their tune, so just revert to the original thought - bad idea MS, you are doomed on this one too!

Analog Kid
Oct 9, 2006, 10:57 PM
So, I'm becoming convinced that Apple's finished the video iPod and that the reason we didn't see it with the movie store is because Apple is timing it to undercut the Zune. Question is, does it make more sense to release it right before or right after the Zune release?

I'm voting for right before-- as in days before.

OdduWon
Oct 10, 2006, 12:22 AM
So, I'm becoming convinced that Apple's finished the video iPod and that the reason we didn't see it with the movie store is because Apple is timing it to undercut the Zune. Question is, does it make more sense to release it right before or right after the Zune release?

tihs is why we say the weak update to ipod. they let off a bit to see how zune will preform. they want to compete to give justification to the horrid get a mac ads. zune need to be fairly good to a) slow the profits or macrocrap since they will sell at or below cost and b) so that apple doesn't look like the bad guy smashing the competion with the sexy premptive zune flusher...TelePod :cool:

calculus
Oct 10, 2006, 12:44 AM

Well if the release of the true video iPod is dependent on a microsoft release we may never see it!

OdduWon
Oct 10, 2006, 12:45 AM
zune exists. i saw it fallout of a cows butt the other day :D

macman2790
Oct 10, 2006, 12:46 AM
why would someone want to rent their music library?

redAPPLE
Oct 10, 2006, 12:52 AM
why would someone want to rent their music library?

same thing i ask everyday, "why would anyone blindly trust micro$oft?".

plinkoman
Oct 10, 2006, 01:01 AM
what exactly has microsoft been doing these past few years where every single subscription music store has been completely pwn3d by iTunes? yea, it could be just because of the iPod, but if everyone wanted subscriptions, somehow I doubt the iPod and iTunes would be in the position they're in now.

OdduWon
Oct 10, 2006, 01:36 AM
the ipod is candy. candy that releases a new flavor every 6 months. and it all tastes good but you still want to know what the new one tastes like. but then you stop chewing on your ipods because it's harder to sell them when theres bite markes all over them. :D

Analog Kid
Oct 10, 2006, 02:36 AM
So, I'm curious... Anyone know how the rental model is going to work? There are times, (horrid, desolate times) when I'm away from a network for 30 days or more-- would my Zune become useless in that time?

Chundles
Oct 10, 2006, 02:55 AM
So, I'm curious... Anyone know how the rental model is going to work? There are times, (horrid, desolate times) when I'm away from a network for 30 days or more-- would my Zune become useless in that time?

Depends how they implement the subscription model. If you're required to plug your device into the computer during that 30 day period then yes, all your music would vanish over night.

Horrible way to handle music "ownership" - even with DRM'd music files from the iTunes Store I can't find anything that's stopping me using the files however I want.

Subscription/rental for music = a proven bad idea.

For movies however it's a different story.

sunfast
Oct 10, 2006, 03:18 AM
No way would I wish to rent my music library. IT'S MASSIVE!

whooleytoo
Oct 10, 2006, 08:00 AM

Actually, that logic is the wrong way around, if I understand MS's model correctly.

With a subscription model, it doesn't matter how big your 'library' is, it's the same price. It's with Apple's model you need to pay a lot to have a large library.

OdduWon
Oct 10, 2006, 11:36 AM
i'm sure ms will take this music sharing thing and turn it in to a multi teared multi priced service that ripps people off and disconnects when people try to down load anything good. they'll pretend to have all this music to get people in but when they try to download it will not work and the thye ms bot will send you an email asking you to update to the "real" service for more % yea macrocrap!

Bibulous
Oct 10, 2006, 11:58 AM
I would like to be able to rent content from the iTunes store. I'm taking a long trip and would love to be able to pay $15 to fill up my iPod or powerbook with music for the month. If they included all the music, audio books, TV shoes and movies I might pay $30-$50 to be able to use 30GB-80GB for a month, as long as there are no long term contracts. Make it easy to mark items for purchase later if I like it and I think they would have a winner.

OdduWon
Oct 10, 2006, 12:02 PM
i think irent is comming also. but not till we see itunes mobile store for TelePod running on intel Xserve. october hold many treats and tricks fou us macnuts. :D

XNine
Oct 10, 2006, 12:27 PM
Actually, that logic is the wrong way around, if I understand MS's model correctly.

With a subscription model, it doesn't matter how big your 'library' is, it's the same price. It's with Apple's model you need to pay a lot to have a large library.

Except not only do you have to pay a subscription fee, you also have to pay any time you want to burn a song or transfer it. You don't actually own it, at all. That's why subscription is NOT cheaper than actually purchasing it out right.

OdduWon
Oct 10, 2006, 01:43 PM
the zune despite it's menu lag, looks pretty cool. there is a lot more stuff going on IN the device. More on the go personalization. more time spent using it. they will attract many developers for this and enhance thir phone market and do a microsoft-bill world communications take over. battles will be waged and stock lost and many try to rise against...but, too late. Zune got a head start on the market and people were forced to like it because it was what everyone was familar with. the fabled true video ipod is the only wepon that will be able to deflect the creature that's comming, ZUNE.

iJaz
Oct 10, 2006, 02:07 PM
who should own your music, you or bill...?
is it hard to find an answer to that?

qtip919
Oct 10, 2006, 03:57 PM

A music subscription service to people with massive online purchased music is not really the main scenario.

Its already an accepted fact that the vast majority of music on ipods is either:

1. legally obtained "ripped" music
2. illegally obtained music

The itms supplied music is a very distant third place.

So, for the few people who have spent 100-300 dollars or more on the itms, they are non-ideal customers. But they are also the smaller percentage of customers.

qtip919
Oct 10, 2006, 03:59 PM
Except not only do you have to pay a subscription fee, you also have to pay any time you want to burn a song or transfer it. You don't actually own it, at all. That's why subscription is NOT cheaper than actually purchasing it out right.

everyone is still forgetting that the device totally supports .mp3 files that are burned from discs that you already own. The subscription service is a perfectly legitimate way to supplement and already large existing burned library.

qtip919
Oct 10, 2006, 03:59 PM
who should own your music, you or bill...?
is it hard to find an answer to that?

Actually, its owned by the RIAA

iJaz
Oct 10, 2006, 04:29 PM
Actually, its owned by the RIAA

So it might be, but if Microsoft all of a sudden decides to raise the monthly fee, after they have wiped out all of the competition, I wouldn't be laughing if I was subscribing. It's not an unrealistic scenario.

qtip919
Oct 10, 2006, 04:41 PM
So it might be, but if Microsoft all of a sudden decides to raise the monthly fee, after they have wiped out all of the competition, I wouldn't be laughing if I was subscribing. It's not an unrealistic scenario.

I highly doubt they would "wipe out" the competition, Apple is able to adapt to this or any other model. It would literally be a matter of flipping switches if they wanted to offer this as an alternative to purchasing songs at 99 cents each.

I know I would be the first one subscribing to such an option, as long as it worked for my ipod...but hey, I love subscriptions...If the subscription is 19.95/month up to maybe 24ish a month, I would easily do this. I purchase alot of CDs and I have been very hesitant lately to purchase any more CDs on itms. Lately, I just make sure to purchase only one or two songs, and I am very careful not to buy songs from an album that has a high likelyhood of getting purchased...its kinda lame...

applebum
Oct 10, 2006, 09:10 PM

Actually it can be much cheaper - you just have to know exactly what you are getting into with a rental service. Now that I have a Windows laptop, I am using the Yahoo service. I paid the $10 a month for a year up front ($120) so I can download anything they have and put it on my "plays for sure" San Disk (I prefer my Shuffle, but it doesn't work with Yahoo). I can then take my "rented" music with me and listen to it enough to know whether I want to buy it. This actually saves me money. Here's how: just this month I downloaded The Frays album via Yahoo. I liked How to Save a Life and Over My Head, but wasn't sure whether I would like the rest of the songs or not. I am now listening to that album (I have a year) to see whether it is worth paying for. Also this month I have downloaded the latest from Journey and Survivor (yeah I love those 80's bands) and so far there are only 2 songs on each of those albums that I like. Now, if I weren't "renting" my music, I would have spent $30 on these 3 albums this month; so far I have only spent $10. Let's say by the end of the month I determine that there are only 6 songs total that I want from these 3 albums - I then go buy them from iTunes. Add that $6 to the $10 I spent on the rental service, and that is a total of $16 I spent this month as opposed to $30 - a savings of $14. Thus you can save money with rentals and still own the music you want.

I would be more than happy to rent from iTunes if they allowed it. 30 second previews are just not enough to determine whether you want to buy a song or not. Also, we all know there are plenty of songs out there that you like at first, but after several listens they get old really quickly. Renting keeps you from paying for those as well.

OdduWon
Oct 10, 2006, 09:49 PM
has anyone seen this yet
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/jonathaniliff/k51.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/jonathaniliff/k52.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/jonathaniliff/k53.jpg
there is a very mac 84 like video on the samsung site. also they came out with a 10 megapxl phone too.