Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

Lau

Original poster
Jelly sparks toxic waste alert

The suspicious substance had been left behind after a wedding party
A pile of jelly left by a road in Germany caused a major security alert after it was mistaken for toxic waste.

A large area near the town of Halle was cordoned off after a "flabby red, orange and green substance" was found by the road, Reuters reported.

Fire officers in protective suits spent two hours inspecting the substance before concluding it was jelly.

"The fire brigade always has to assume a worst-case scenario," a fire brigade spokesman told the news agency.

"We conducted a variety of tests and figured out it was jelly."

The spillage was traced to a wedding party. The newly-wed groom, who was woken up and informed of the alert, promised to clean up the mess.

Link.

Excellent. :D

Coming up next "Oh my gosh, it's confectioner's custard in a railway station". :p

OzMo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Australia
Soooo ... begs some questions ...

How did they test it? With or without ice cream?
How did it get there ... ?
What was the "newly-wed groom" doing asleep?
How would they react to a pile of trifle?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
This reminds me of a running gag in the 3rd Rock From the Sun sitcom from a few years ago. For those who aren't familiar:

the Solomons' belief that Jell-O is an offshoot of a hostile amorphous carnivorous species they have often encountered, prompting them to go into hysterics whenever they see it served and attempt to destroy it.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Jaffa Cake said:
Was anyone taken into custardy?

Sorry.

SodaPopMonster said:
I heard the substance caused a pretty big jam.

I am Jellous of your witty responses. I guess you two come from a unique mold. I am too set in my ways to be as funny as you guys. However, I scream-ed with laughter on reading your posts

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
A large area near the town of Halle was cordoned off after a "flabby red, orange and green substance" was found by the road, Reuters reported.

At least it wasn't this... :D

_414837_blobby150.jpg

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
On a similar 'food mistaken for something dangerous' theme, my brother's wife found out that her mothers recipes for Christmas pudding has the same density and characteristics as semtex when viewed through an airport bag scanner on a trip through a German airport a couple of years ago.

L

Lau

Original poster
mpw said:
On a similar 'food mistaken for something dangerous' theme, my brother's wife found out that her mothers recipes for Christmas pudding has the same density and characteristics as semtex when viewed through an airport bag scanner on a trip through a German airport a couple of years ago.

It's quite dense than? :p

My granny had a similar thing. She had her bag pulled out because she had a box of drawing pastels in her bag, which happen to have lead in them. A line of small cylindrical metal objects in a line worried them somewhat, for some reason. The idea of my granny going crazy on the plane and shooting rounds into the air amused me highly at the time.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Lau said:
It's quite dense than? :p

My granny had a similar thing. She had her bag pulled out because she had a box of drawing pastels in her bag, which happen to have lead in them. A line of small cylindrical metal objects in a line worried them somewhat, for some reason. The idea of my granny going crazy on the plane and shooting rounds into the air amused me highly at the time.

Golf balls x-ray funny too - I have had my golf bag searched -- here is Japan they x-ray all bags to be checked BEFORE you check in, yes, you get your stuff x-rayed before waiting in line to check-in -- I have been told it was implemented because of the activists in Japan in the 1970's-80's the Red Army.

My point is that my golf balls can either be found in my golf bag (as was the case at the airport) or in the water hazzard on the 5th hole! But never in the middle of the fairway, or anywhere near the pin on a tee shot on a par 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.