Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smitty078

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I have been very sad since last week when I dropped my powerbook :-( Unfortunately no good story to go with it, it was just a plain simple accident. I did get very lucky though.. it still works.. however, it will no longer latch. The screen doesn't line up with the main part of the computer. The best I can describe it is that the hinges are no longer aligned properly (they don't seem broken though).

I brought it to the apple store and they said it would require a new part (the "clutches" as they call them.. as I understand it the actual hinges that attach the screen). They quoted me "around $300" and told me I would be without my computer for 3-5 days. I can not really afford the 300 and even worse than that, I can't afford to be without my computer for possibly 5 days as it is my only computer.

Granted the problem that resulted from the drop is mostly cosmetic, it doesn't affect sleep on lid close or it staying asleep, and I have a sleeve to keep it closed, I opted to live with it for now.

The advice I'm looking for is on what to do. My thought is to somehow order the hinges for the screen and do the repair myself, but I need advice on where/how to get the parts. Also, I have removed the top case myself and replaced the optical drive and hard drive and didn 't have any problem really at all. Does anyone have any experience removing/replacing any parts of the screen or screen bezel? If so how, difficult is it for a person already comfortable with removing the top case and working inside a laptop? Does anyone think it's worth it to just suck it up and deal with the repair cost/time frame from apple? Are there any alternative laptop repair services that might do it cheaper/quicker than apple?

Relevant info:
- Powerbook 15"/1.5 Ghz - the PPC model before they went HD and bumped to 1.67ghz
- I plan on keeping this as my one and only computer for at least the next year, it fits my needs and has always been reliable
- I live in the Philadelphia area (if this might have any bearing on available other service options anyone might come up with)

Thanks in advance for any advice/words of wisdom/anything!

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Personally, I'd bite the bullet and get it fixed. Schedule a time when you can be w/out it for a few days, drop it off, and be done with it.

You might also call around to Apple resllers in town. Some might be able to give you a quicker turn-around and/or a better price. Mac Resource here in Hunstville quoted me "up to two days" for a HDD replacement, for example, and actually did it in about half an hour. I was stunned.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
The main thing I would worry about would be the damage getting worse... Is it in a fragile state where it will possibly fall apart even more?

$300 is dirt cheap.. I have a 17" powerbook that fell while in a case and landed on concrete on a corner.. it has a dent in it but it still works. Sometimes optical disks have problems mounting, physically, but everything works. It would cost $800 to replace the bottom part of the case. Just the metal.. so I did not do it, and don't regret it. It works fine. The disk problem went away...

This is why I wish apple had the equivalent of Dell's Complete Care (or whatever they call it nowadays..) with that level of support, if you dropped your laptop on purpose, Dell would be onsite the next day and replace everything that was broken. I would pay $450 or $500 for that level of coverage for three or four years. Considering that I pay $300 for coverage that you nearly need to beg apple to fix something.

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
You should have dropped it on the power connecter, that way they'd give you a MacBook Pro! You may think I'm crazy but I dropped mine (like how I suggested) and the backlight died. Instead of repairing it they just gave me a MBP because it cost the same as the repairs, and all I had to pay was $A500 to the insurance company. :D

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
neonblue2 said:
You should have dropped it on the power connecter, that way they'd give you a MacBook Pro! You may think I'm crazy but I dropped mine (like how I suggested) and the backlight died. Instead of repairing it they just gave me a MBP because it cost the same as the repairs, and all I had to pay was $A500 to the insurance company. :D

o.o'

Wow, thats kinda neat, but also kinda wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.