Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filipp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
Ok, now that Apple has released this bluetooth-mouse-and-keyboard-support in the 10.2.5 I have one question:

What bluetooth mouse would you guys recommend?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The info on 10.2.5 only says it works with Microsoft Bluetooth mice and keyboards, so I'd go with one of them. Other than that, I don't have any recommendations.

JW

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse seem to work fine so far. Each has its own AA batteries, which came in the box and each device can work independently or without the other without plugging anything into the computer. Range seems to be about 8 feet. Wierd to see things work with absolutely nothing plugged in, especially with the 17" running on battery also.
Just one problem. I have to keep remembering to stop reaching over the bluetooth keyboard to type on the 17"!!!
If Apple comes out with a cooler color like aluminum or clear or white I can always return this within 2 weeks...but if Apple comes out with a single button bluetooth mouse I will just laugh and keep what I have.
A USB bluetooth adapter was also supplied for printers and such. I will try and see if it works.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well last time i checked microsoft are the only ones with blueooth keyboards and mice.

iJon

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
Sorry, my bad; that BT adapter is only for laptops without Bluetooth devices, not printers and such. Also there seems to be an occasional skip sometimes during mouse movement, although not enough to make me return it.

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
I am getting annoyed at the jumping BT mouse, especially with games. Looks like I will be taking it back unless someone has any suggestions. My Logitech USB mouse works flawlessly.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
a blue tooth mouse for a keyboard...that would rock!! ...maybe someday

filipp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
I see, then MS is the way to go for now. How about delays when moving mouse, is it noticable? Do they generally feel slow compared to wired ones?

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
My Logitech USB wireless mouse is great. I don't feel any delay or slowness in the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard. But the BT mouse can give jerky movement at times and seems to go to sleep if not moved for a given length of time. It takes some moving to wake it up. Either the OSX software does not agree with it or BT is just not what it is supposed to be. I will probably return the BT combo, since they came together in a box, or at least hold onto them for 12 or 13 days in the hope that the Apple versions will come out. CompUSA has a 14 day full refund policy.

Philinator

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
I purchased the MS Bluetooth Desktop Combo for my 17" Albook, and it took a couple of tries to get the book to see it, but it eventually did. The only thing I don't like so far is that I can't remap the keys, and as a video editor, I've memorized many, many keyboard shortcuts that no longer work. The combo did not come with mac drivers, so apparently I'm stuck with the MS key layout, which means no apple key. I've just dl'd the MS software for a generic wireless keyboard, and I'm going to give it a try.

Philinator

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
If your laptop has built in BT you don't need to attach anything to it to get the mouse to work. Also longer range in BT. That's no big deal, just more convienience, no dongles to carry.

Philinator

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
Originally posted by WilliamGates
PHILINATOR, does your BT mouse skip or act erratically at all?

Actually, yes. I'm not very impressed at all. I just used it a lot for the first time today, and it got really annoying, not to mention the software problem. Microsoft really needs to release the software for Mac now, if they don't want everyone returning them. I still haven't used the mouse for any precise uses, like photoshop selections, so I don't know how it will react to that. I'll do that next with a good optical mouse pad and see if it still jumps.

Philinator

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.