Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
The new iPod did not come with a charger that I can plug into a wall outlet to charge. Can I use the wall charger to my husband's 4th Gen?

Also, wondering if/how to play the iPod contents through my PC at work. Can't download iTunes (not allowed any downloads) and don't know what would happen if I took the USB connecter and plugged it in to the PC. Anybody know?

Also wondering how to tell what generation this iPod is. I assumed 5th Gen, but somebody has posted something about a 5.5 gen. What is that?

Thanks in advance!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
You should be able to use the charger from the 4G iPod, since (I believe) the output current and voltage requirements are the same.

As for iTunes, if you can't download at work, could you download at home, pop it on a USB drive, then install at work, or are you not allowed to install software at work either? If not, I guess you'll have to listen to your iPod the old-fashioned way.

If you just bought the iPod, it's indeed the 5th generation, but the newest have an update to play higher-definition video and some new searching ability, so people around here are calling it a 5.5 generation.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
skybolt said:
Also wondering how to tell what generation this iPod is. I assumed 5th Gen, but somebody has posted something about a 5.5 gen. What is that?
The fastest way to determine if you have a 5.5G iPod is to go to Music, and see if Search shows up at the bottom of the menu. If it is there, then you have the 5.5. If not, you have the original 5G.

irregardless

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
all around you
skybolt said:
The new iPod did not come with a charger that I can plug into a wall outlet to charge. Can I use the wall charger to my husband's 4th Gen?

You sure can charge with any previously released wall charger. Even Firewire dock connector cables can be used for charging. You can't use them to sync with your computer though; only USB for that.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
skybolt said:
Also, wondering if/how to play the iPod contents through my PC at work. Can't download iTunes (not allowed any downloads) and don't know what would happen if I took the USB connecter and plugged it in to the PC. Anybody know?

If you are only banned from installing applications Sharepod will let you play songs from your iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.