Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two additional movie studios are planning on joining the online iTunes Store in the next 6 months, according to Piper Jaffray & Co. analyst Gene Munster.

The two unnamed film companies will join Walt Disney Co., the only studio now selling through iTunes, after the holiday season, Munster wrote in a note today after meeting with ``four of the six major film studios.''

Munster does not believe any studios will sign on before Christmas as this may disturb retail DVD sales.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
So I recently finished watching the special free download from ABC of one of their hit shows during their "Million Hit Lowdown" promotion. At the end was an ad to buy that show on DVD.

Interesting idea. An ad for the DVD release at the end of the iTunes version. I can see that as something they do on movies as well.

"Buy the DVD, and get all these special features!!"

Or in the DVD package, a code that gives you a $5.00 discount on the iTunes version.

"Want to watch this on your iPod or {iTV}? Download it from iTunes. Type in this code for a special price!"

This second option would make a lot of sense for the new HD formats (HD-DVD and BluRay,) since they are (supposedly) more secure against ripping. Although for the average user, ripping a DVD is essentially impossible as well. (Not "impossible", but "essentially impossible". I've seen enough average users that can't even import their CDs onto their computer; or didn't know they could, that ripping a DVD with less-than-legal software is in the realm of impossibility for them.)

parenthesis

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2003
Here and there
I think that it's strange that studios think that online sales are going to cannibalize DVD sales.

1) Most likely, the people that are going to buy a movie from iTunes wouldn't have bought the DVD anyway

2) Distribution costs are virtually nothing.... so the profit margin should be a lot higher for a downloaded movie.

I haven't studied the economics of DVD manufacturing and distribution, but I would imagine that accounts for a large portion of the total DVD price.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
parenthesis said:
I think that it's strange that studios think that online sales are going to cannibalize DVD sales.

1) Most likely, the people that are going to buy a movie from iTunes wouldn't have bought the DVD anyway

2) Distribution costs are virtually nothing.... so the profit margin should be a lot higher for a downloaded movie.

I haven't studied the economics of DVD manufacturing and distribution, but I would imagine that accounts for a large portion of the total DVD price.

I don't think the studios are the reluctant ones, but the retailers. (see Wal-Mart - Target stories)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i think they'll all join in sooner than later. they're a company, they have a product and so they'll want to distribute it in as many places as possible.

I don't buy the fear from target and wal-mart. the ppl who will to buy x dvd will buy it anyways b/c of the special features etc.. some fringe folks may dload, but they may buy the dvd too.

but who cares!

We can't dload squat for movies in Canada (yet) ;)

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
colocolo said:
I don't think the studios are the reluctant ones, but the retailers. (see Wal-Mart - Target stories)

That, too. I'm still inclined to believe that the iTMS dealings with the record studios -- and the very public squabble between Jobs and a few execs last year -- have come around to bite Apple in the bum. I think the movie execs are afraid of Apple/iTunes and being set into a pricing scheme that they don't feel is fair or flexible (long-term). Bullies tend to clash with other bullies.

That's not to say, of course, that they won't sign on, I'm just thinking they're waiting for competition to ramp up. Remember that UnBox has a cat's meow of the studios on board.

Cowinacape

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Surrey B.C. Canada
twoodcc said:
well the more studios the better. sounds like good news to me

great news if you live in the U.S of A, the rest of the world seems to get forgotten about though, aperantly Apple, doesn't know people outside of the U.S. watch T.V. and movies and such I guess :p

slidingjon

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2005
Coralville, Iowa
If iTunes can become the #5 retailer of audio music (proposed for 1st quarter 2007), then why don't the movie distributors see this as a potential avenue for success?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
slidingjon said:
If iTunes can become the #5 retailer of audio music (proposed for 1st quarter 2007), then why don't the movie distributors see this as a potential avenue for success?
I thought they were already #5 and are expecting to be #4 by next year, when they surpass Amazon (Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy are the other 3 top music retailers). And you wonder why those companies are opposing Apple's rise in every way they can...

B

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
Based on the success of movie downloads so far, it is only a matter of time for the rest to join in. But I guess I'm just stating the obvious.

Screw Wal*Mart and Target. Call their bluff.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
parenthesis said:
The cost of manufacturing and distributing DVDs isn't much compared to the cost of creating the content on the DVDs.

Lethal

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Cowinacape said:
great news if you live in the U.S of A, the rest of the world seems to get forgotten about though, aperantly Apple, doesn't know people outside of the U.S. watch T.V. and movies and such I guess :p

I'm hoping you're joking, because I can't imagine Apple sitting in their offices saying, "Gee, let's pass up millions of dollars on international buyers." Considering that they just got one whole studio set up in the US, it doesn't surprise me the international market hasn't materialized. The US version has barely started. I think we have to stop and think about just how much legal work is being done in the background. Now imagine Apple trying to replicate those efforts around the world. It takes time.

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
LethalWolfe said:
The cost of manufacturing and distributing DVDs isn't much compared to the cost of creating the content on the DVDs.

Lethal

It's one of those things where a single unit doesn't cost much to produce, but that first one cost millions of dollars.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
LethalWolfe said:

Lethal

No, but with the cost of the designers, printing, materials, packaging, shipping, storage, and all the employees along the way, the cost is at least a few bucks per DVD.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Lixivial said:
That, too. I'm still inclined to believe that the iTMS dealings with the record studios -- and the very public squabble between Jobs and a few execs last year -- have come around to bite Apple in the bum. I think the movie execs are afraid of Apple/iTunes and being set into a pricing scheme that they don't feel is fair or flexible (long-term). Bullies tend to clash with other bullies.

That's not to say, of course, that they won't sign on, I'm just thinking they're waiting for competition to ramp up. Remember that UnBox has a cat's meow of the studios on board.

I know for a fact that you are correct. The movie studios havent shied away from licensing content to some other online video services. But Record companies have had a very difficult time being able to price their product as they see fit. it is their content, and unlike being able to set different list prices for albums or individual singles like they can for retail stores, Apple has been very restrictive in what they will allow. This has hurt record companies ability to lower price for old catalog albums and charge more for a single hit song if people dont want to buy a full album.

Now Movie studios are in the same boat when Apple comes to them for deals. How do they like their number #1 retailers for dvd's like Walmart, Bestbuy and target complaining that movies are cheaper online than for them?

Personally I believe forcing people to BUY movies for itunes is wrong. We should also have ability to rent a movie. store it for a month, on mac/pc or video ipod, and watch it for a 24 hour window.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
mahonmeister said:
Based on the success of movie downloads so far, it is only a matter of time for the rest to join in. But I guess I'm just stating the obvious.

Retailers DO add value. Besides the real benefit of non-online folks having access to the media, there are significant advantages to browsing, and to impulse buying.

This benefits consumers, dealers, and studios.

I for one hope the DVD's offer value adds the download does not offer. A mini-poster for example. One significant aspect of CD and DVD and vinyl record artifacts is COLLECTING. Something that is lost on downloaded items to a degree.

All the studios have to, to maintain a good pass-through of artifact sales, is offer some additional artifact aspect that simply cannot be downloaded.

Rocketman

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
I don't think I'm alone in this, but I really don't see DVD sales taking a monster hit from the iTunes store. Let's face it... even IF there's a widescreen video iPod in the pipeline, and it gets rushed out in November, the studios are still going to make their bucks of the iTunes sales, and the percentage of customers they lose to online sales is really going to be fairly negligable for this holiday season.

My guess is that even if the fabled video iPod comes along soon, and it's a BOOMING success, somewhere around 75-80% of customers will still prefer to have their movies on DVD for now than on their iPod. Especially since a large portion of video iPod users will probably be more inclined to rip their own DVDs (like me) than buy from iTunes. It just doesn't make sense to rail against a company like Apple who always seems to be one step ahead of the curve. Why not jump on board and ride their coat tails. Everyone stands to benefit.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
mahonmeister said:

I agree... They will keep selling their DVD's as usual. If one of them stopped doing it, do you really think the other would too? This would only increase the sales of the one left. They are just bluffing for sure.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
clintob said:
I don't think I'm alone in this, but I really don't see DVD sales taking a monster hit from the iTunes store. Let's face it... even IF there's a widescreen video iPod in the pipeline, and it gets rushed out in November, the studios are still going to make their bucks of the iTunes sales, and the percentage of customers they lose to online sales is really going to be fairly negligable for this holiday season.

My guess is that even if the fabled video iPod comes along soon, and it's a BOOMING success, somewhere around 75-80% of customers will still prefer to have their movies on DVD for now than on their iPod. Especially since a large portion of video iPod users will probably be more inclined to rip their own DVDs (like me) than buy from iTunes. It just doesn't make sense to rail against a company like Apple who always seems to be one step ahead of the curve. Why not jump on board and ride their coat tails. Everyone stands to benefit.

I agree with you for now... Once the quality is DVD quality, iTV is out, and HD space keeps getting bigger and bigger, THEN they may see an impact. But, most people just like to buy something tangible. Me, I buy more on convenience. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.