Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time mac owner but i've used them a university for some time. I bought a PB12" from the US (i live in New Zealand) and two days after i started using it it won't boot. It started when i put it to sleep, then unpluged the power and a MS mouse. It wouldnt wake up at all, so i had to do a force reboot, and it hasn't booted since. The OSX restore DVD stalls on startup and the hardware test cd sits on "loading" for ateast 30 minutes (i didnt leave it any longer). What is up with this? anyone have any suggestions, before i take it in for service?
p.s. dispite this early mishap i love the computer and when i have been using MSWinXP on my PeeCee everything seems so slow and illogical..
Thanks, Hugo

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Brand new PB12 broken already!

Originally posted by hugov
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time mac owner but i've used them a university for some time. I bought a PB12" from the US (i live in New Zealand) and two days after i started using it it won't boot. It started when i put it to sleep, then unpluged the power and a MS mouse. It wouldnt wake up at all, so i had to do a force reboot, and it hasn't booted since. The OSX restore DVD stalls on startup and the hardware test cd sits on "loading" for ateast 30 minutes (i didnt leave it any longer). What is up with this? anyone have any suggestions, before i take it in for service?
p.s. dispite this early mishap i love the computer and when i have been using MSWinXP on my PeeCee everything seems so slow and illogical..
Thanks, Hugo

That's what AppleCare is for. If you were in the states this would be considered a DOA system and they would just replace it with a brand new one either on the spot or overnight.

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Agreed, take it back straight away. Do not delay.

If the service guys say the problem "Just went away" or couldn't be duplicated, ensure the problem is logged, for future reference.

Best to have these problems identified and fixed or replaced straight away.

So thank your lucky stars, you probably won't have this problem the day after the warranty expires.:)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
one thing you gotta watch out for, i dont know if apple changed this or not but you applecare isnt covered if you take it to another country. you ahve to go back to the states and have it fixed. but like i said, they may have changed the rules, ill try to find out for you.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.