PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent Doesn’t Get More Simple Than This: Transmission 0...

MacBytes
Oct 11, 2006, 09:38 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Bittorrent Doesn’t Get More Simple Than This: Transmission 0.7 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061011223824)
Description:: Transmission is an open-source bittorrent client which is pretty popular among the Mac community. I got my hands on the Beta version of Transmission 0.7 and checked out some of it’s cool new features.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mord
Oct 12, 2006, 04:50 AM
but does the code still suck?

most trackers I use ban this client.

MacBoobsPro
Oct 12, 2006, 04:54 AM
but does the code still suck?

most trackers I use ban this client.

Its the only torrent client i use. I dont download that often but Ive never had a problem with it.

Mord
Oct 12, 2006, 05:31 AM
The trouble is the way it interacts with the tracker, it's hugely disruptive, your better off just useing the official client if you can't be bothered to configure azureus.

sunfast
Oct 12, 2006, 05:58 AM
I don't download much either but I love Transmission.

generik
Oct 12, 2006, 07:58 AM
What is wrong with Azureus?

Mord
Oct 12, 2006, 08:02 AM
ease of use.

killmoms
Oct 12, 2006, 08:02 AM
I'll recommend Azureus over anything else on the Mac until uTorrent gets ported. Why? Transport encryption. Helping our friends behind packet-shaped networks since it was added a year or so ago (heck, maybe not even that long).

generik
Oct 12, 2006, 09:00 AM
ease of use.

Oh yeah, I forgot... Mac users are people who click "yes" when asked if they want to install spyware. :rolleyes:

What's so bad about azereus? It is pretty simple. Just the port configuration and done!

MacBoobsPro
Oct 12, 2006, 09:07 AM
I tried azureus but it just would not work for me. :(

Sdashiki
Oct 12, 2006, 09:10 AM
gotta change your ports.

and port forwarding can speed things up too.

MacBoobsPro
Oct 12, 2006, 09:13 AM
gotta change your ports.

and port forwarding can speed things up too.

I did but still nothing. In the end I went with Transmission. At first it was dead slow (about 10kbps) so I forwarded the ports like in their tutorial and regularly get over 300kbps.

iJaz
Oct 12, 2006, 09:46 AM
What is wrong with Azureus?

I use Azureus, I find it the best torrent program out there. But my computer gets considerably slower when it's up and running. It's a java program, isn't it?

Sdashiki
Oct 12, 2006, 10:06 AM
I use Azureus, I find it the best torrent program out there. But my computer gets considerably slower when it's up and running. It's a java program, isn't it?

yes, but it shouldnt be draining your resources really, check activity viewer for the CPU % useage.

Mord
Oct 12, 2006, 12:31 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot... Mac users are people who click "yes" when asked if they want to install spyware. :rolleyes:

What's so bad about azereus? It is pretty simple. Just the port configuration and done!

I've never been able to get it to work, and I've done CCNA it does not play nice with all routers and it's a pain to set up and use.

freebooter
Oct 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
For me transmission had a hard time finding seeds. Azureus (after much tinkering) works very well indeed.

jephrey
Oct 12, 2006, 02:56 PM
I'm a heavy user, and I use azureus. I did a fresh install recently and all I had to do was forward ports to get ti going (and at a good speed). the tinkering I did later just made it easier to create torrents, and configured what to do at different stages of downloading/uploading. Many say it's difficult, but I don't see it. I've tried transmission, tomato, the original, bits on wheels (pretty cool), and a few others that I can't remember. I always go back to Azureus.

but the statement that transmission is very simple is true.

J

TwitchOSX
Oct 12, 2006, 03:21 PM
What is all this "forwarding ports" things you guys speak of? Every time I try to get a torrent because of a personal DVD issue, the torrent either wont download or its horribly slow. Trying transmission right now..

TwitchOSX
Oct 12, 2006, 03:28 PM
All I'm getting is about 5k/sec (on a "Good" ) torrent. We have a 3mb cable connection here...

spydr
Oct 12, 2006, 04:10 PM
All I'm getting is about 5k/sec (on a "Good" ) torrent. We have a 3mb cable connection here...
If you are using a router between the modem and your computer, then you would have to assign and open some ports in the router for the torrent application to function at full speed.
I also didn't know that for a while and gave up after I was getting 5kbps downloads. Now azureus goes upto 400Kbps (if you have a good number of seeds)! I get a lot past season TV shows this way. Awesome!

Eidorian
Oct 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
I find Transmission nice but rather lacking. I still find myself using Azureus exclusively. I really love the features it has.

TwitchOSX
Oct 12, 2006, 04:23 PM
If you are using a router between the modem and your computer, then you would have to assign and open some ports in the router for the torrent application to function at full speed.
I also didn't know that for a while and gave up after I was getting 5kbps downloads. Now azureus goes upto 400Kbps (if you have a good number of seeds)! I get a lot past season TV shows this way. Awesome!

Hmm.. how do I go about opening up the ports in the router? Standard 8 port wired linksys..

Still currently getting 5.3k/sec.. I should be getting faster than that.

topgun072003
Oct 12, 2006, 04:37 PM
Hmm.. how do I go about opening up the ports in the router? Standard 8 port wired linksys..

Still currently getting 5.3k/sec.. I should be getting faster than that.

yeah I just currently installed Azureus and I don't know how to configure the ports. It does a test before it completes the install but it gave me a NAT error. What should I do? I have a powerbook using an airport extreme to get wireless connection.

faital
Oct 13, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

crashlock
Oct 13, 2006, 02:37 AM
I use Bits On Wheels. It's been excellent for me. Good speeds. Lots of successful downloads and also gives you a cool 3D interactive map.:cool: