Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmouredGuitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Canada
I just installed boot camp/windows. everything is going perfectly, the games I want to play, play. But there is one problem. My Macpro's internal speaker is always on and running, is there a way to disable it?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
ArmouredGuitar said:
I just installed boot camp/windows. everything is going perfectly, the games I want to play, play. But there is one problem. My Macpro's internal speaker is always on and running, is there a way to disable it?

Why do you want it 'off'?

If you want it off turn the sound down or plug in some other speakers so it will go off and sound will play through the new speakers.

ArmouredGuitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Canada
stuartluff said:

If you want it off turn the sound down or plug in some other speakers so it will go off and sound will play through the new speakers.

I have a Set of Logitech z5500 surround sound speakers plugged into the digital and just want to disable the internal mac speaker

testtry

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
stuartluff said:

but, does the mac's internal speaker make this sound each time you turn on the machine? My iMac does even though I have external speakers attached to it.

alien2108

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2005
Maribor, Slovenia
ArmouredGuitar@

Known issue if you use SPDIF optical output. just open Windows Volume Control (down right corner, the speaker icon) and slide "Master Volume" all the way down. Internal speaker is now dead silent and it doesn't influence optical output.

drval

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
I believe all of this is "Windows compliant" as of v1.1.1.

The Master Volume will work to raise the level of any of the sub-controllers. I don't use SPDIF at this time, on my MacBook Pro, so I can't directly test THAT behavior, but the rest is compliant as far as I can tell.

jephyb

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I am also having this problem and it is very annoying. I am running the Boot Camp 1.1.1 upgrade and even though I have speakers plugged into the analog output (1/8") jack in the back, sound still comes out of the internal speaker. If I turn the volume all the way down, I get no sound what-so-ever out the front, or from my speakers. Very frustrating. :mad:

barber107

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Same deal here...

jephyb said:
I am also having this problem and it is very annoying. I am running the Boot Camp 1.1.1 upgrade and even though I have speakers plugged into the analog output (1/8") jack in the back, sound still comes out of the internal speaker. If I turn the volume all the way down, I get no sound what-so-ever out the front, or from my speakers. Very frustrating. :mad:

I have the exact same problem...and I have to unplug/replug my speakers in the back to get them to work.

drval

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
I'm working on a MacBook Pro so can't say much about the iMac implementations.

In Windows, sound controllers vary depending on the resource being controlled. So MP3, WAV, WMA for instance are all mapped through the WAV controller in the Mixer Panel. On the other hand MID files are mapped through the SW Synth subcontroller of the same Mixer Panel.

Use WMP and select a MID file to Play. Pop-up the Mixer Panel (double click on the speaker icon on the Task Bar. If no icon is there use Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and select to show the icon on the Task Bar -- or click on the Advanced tab next to that selection to pop-up the Mixer Panel now.).

Once the Mixer Panel is up -- and the MID resource is playing with WMP -- try sliding the SW Synth control up and down. You'll hear the volume change. Now try sliding the WAV control up and down -- no effect on the volume of MID output. Now use the Master Volume and you'll also hear an effect. The Master sets the overall ceiling whereas the individual slider sets a ceiling "up to or below" that overall ceiling on a device by device basis.

Now load an MP3 resource. Try the same tests and you'll see that the SW Synth control has no effect, whereas the WAV controller does.

You'll also notice that there is NO sub-control for SPDIF output only for Recording. We need to wait for the driver folks to come up with v1.1.2 or whartever before getting that feature, I guess.

jephyb

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland, OH
@drval

With all do respect, I do not understand how your post pertains to the topic at hand?? Also, this thread is based around the Mac Pro, not the MacBook Pro or even the iMac you mentioned at the beginning of your reply.

drval

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
I'm just trying to provide some troubleshooting tips -- from the Windows side -- that I've found helpful in the past with such issues IN Windows.

It's just a FWIW and, as another FWIW, I ALSO haven't seen that problem on Macpro implementations that I've used to prototype XP performance. But I haven't done as much testing in that specific environment, and even less in iMacs.

I've it doesn't help then DELETE -- or is that (actually) BACKSPACE...

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
As of Boot Camp drivers 1.1.2 the issue is not solved. Only known solution: plug something into the front headphone port. (this has been discussed a number of times before BTW)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.