PDA

View Full Version : No Chrome on iPods?

MacRumors
Apr 11, 2003, 08:27 AM
One unverified rumor claims the new iPods will not have a chrome backing.

Escher
Apr 11, 2003, 08:33 AM
No Chrome = less scratches and less fingerprints = good!

I've resisted buying an iPod up to now, but I think I will jump on the bandwagon with this revision.

Escher

melchior
Apr 11, 2003, 08:52 AM
i was planning on getting an engraving, but i would prefer to go without the metal. it scratches so bad.

can't wait to get one. i wonder when they will be available in japan... quickly, i hope.

oh, and escher, i agree with your signature. we need a sub-notebook. half the size of the 12"... i'd snap one up in a second!

Tiauguinho
Apr 11, 2003, 09:04 AM
Oh uh... no more Airplane signaling with the Chrome Back... :(

FelixDerKater
Apr 11, 2003, 09:08 AM
Aluminum or brushed metal (which Apple loves so much these days) would be nice.

buseman
Apr 11, 2003, 09:09 AM
Now we know where all the titanium went:D

StealthRider
Apr 11, 2003, 09:38 AM
i would say that they should do the back the same material and color as the front, with the iMac's chrome apple on the back at a fairly large size.

melchior
Apr 11, 2003, 10:01 AM
stealth> i can see the cool-factor in that...

davy the bunny
Apr 11, 2003, 10:51 AM
I don't know about lucite (or plastic) or whatever on the back, but the thought of some scratch-resistant (not proof) aluminum would be very nice, I think. . .

Gren
Apr 11, 2003, 11:20 AM
I hope this is true. The chrome on the current iPod looks great when you take it out of the box. But, if you are going to actually use the iPod it soon looks battered and you love it less ? This is the one design feature that Jonathan Ive was wron to include. Otherwise the iPod is damn near a perfect design. Ive should win the British "designer of the year" award.

With all that said, why are they changing the (almost perfect) design and moving the buttons?

OSeXy!
Apr 11, 2003, 11:49 AM
Chrome's a bit limited as far as 'dynamic appearance changes' are concerned...

nagromme
Apr 11, 2003, 11:51 AM
This is a HUGE STEP BACKWARDS. Why would Apple make a non-chrome-back iPod if every other MP3 player already has a non-chrome-back??? The awad-winning design of the iPod is what makes it worth the money. If Apple is this stupid, NOBODY will buy one. I am thinking of switching to Windows before Apple goes bankrupt. Chrome is SO much easier to use! Why, Apple?!?!

[/end parody] :eek:

On the other hand... the new button placement (if true) has 2 advantages that I can see:

1. Easier to use with one hand. No Awkward reaching down towards the bottom of the iPod with your thumb. The main functions are now right under the screen, and with any luck they put the skip forward and skip back buttons next to each other.

2. No more hitting the volume wheel when you just want to skip or pause.

Gren
Apr 11, 2003, 12:00 PM
Gotcha. Somtimes Apple are guilty of vanity design. Chrome is a good mirror I suppose :)

JSRockit
Apr 11, 2003, 12:24 PM
Do you guys really think the new iPod will br ugly...palease...ok, in all seriousness...Just wait the 2 weeks and you'll see that it is very nice. Apple won't f up when it comes to a current winning design.

Gren
Apr 11, 2003, 12:38 PM
Good industrial design is often not what the product looks like. rather, it's in the way the product is designed to be used - Form and function. The iPod is fantastic because it makes a pretty complicated device beguilingly easy to use. I owned a Rio before the iPod, you just have to use both to realize what a triumph Apple's player really is. The disposition of the controls around the jog dial (a inspired solution to navigating the software) is visually economical and reflects this thinking.

The chrome is my only issue. If just isn't 'fit for purpose'.

Apple do break their own rules this sometimes. I've got a battleship surround on my Safari browser. it's not that pinstripes is any better, just that in design terms one should be used to the exclusion of the other.

rant over.

GPTurismo
Apr 11, 2003, 12:39 PM
Wasn't the metal used as a heat conductor for the HDD and Battery?

Gren
Apr 11, 2003, 12:42 PM
If that is true, well...

JSRockit
Apr 11, 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by GPTurismo
Wasn't the metal used as a heat conductor for the HDD and Battery?

Not sure...but my iPod doesn't get hot at all...so i don't see a problem with getting rid of it.

DreaminDirector
Apr 11, 2003, 12:57 PM
No chrome would be nice, but what "thinksecrets" rendering with the four buttons (if it's true)? I'd rather have chrome that scratches than four ugly buttons. Eh, I dunno....

JSRockit
Apr 11, 2003, 01:19 PM
What is wrong with the buttons on the supposedly new iPod? More functional then the current iPod.

RBMaraman
Apr 11, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by JSRockit
What is wrong with the buttons on the supposedly new iPod? More functional then the current iPod.

I have to agree with you. While I do love the design of the current iPod, I think the 4-button design is more functional. It seems like whenever I scroll the volume up, I accidently hit the skip forward button. Putting the buttons away from the scroll wheel is a great idea.

I'm anxious to see what Apple does to the iPod! Does anyone think they'll be calling the revision "iPod 2" (That is, if they change the case design)?

pyrotoaster
Apr 11, 2003, 01:39 PM
I don't mind if Apple gets rid of the chrome, but please don't make it white plastic! More for your own good than mine (I'm happy with my 5 GB Pod).

I've had two iPods (my original was just a whole lot defective), and on both the plastic has taken more damage than the chrome. The plastic scrapes and smashes with minor drops. Sure the metal gets smudges, but the all-black carrying case does a great job of hiding that.

From what I've seen, Apple could be taking a step backwards. The Think Secret rendering only gives you an idea of the form, not the overall look. The new iPods could have an innovative new design to them. We'll have to wait and see.

As for the buttons moving, I think it detracts from the iPod's cool look. I could see the possible benefits of such a change with the touch sensitve scrollwheel models, but it really does look better the way it is now.

Then again, we don't know what this will really look like, so it's hard to say anything definate about the design... yet.

Hemingray
Apr 11, 2003, 01:54 PM
Not sure...but my iPod doesn't get hot at all...so i don't see a problem with getting rid of it.

Even when you let it charge through your comp's FW port? Mine sure as heck does. That's why I never charge it through my computer. I always use the external adapter.

maradong
Apr 11, 2003, 02:29 PM
What the hell? Is the ipod gonna get a color display? I hope not, that wil just be energy consuming and will not give any real advantage.
i m not sure if it will get one,m but a friend of mine told me so....

MacFan25
Apr 11, 2003, 02:43 PM
It would be a good idea if Apple didn't have the chrome on the back, because it seems like (from the iPods that I have seen), that fingerprints can easily be seen on the chrome. What about a white back?

wsteineker
Apr 11, 2003, 02:53 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!? Are you guys kidding here? Part of the reason that the iPod sells so well over other mp3 players with competitive feature sets (Creative Nomad, etc.) is it's aesthetic! This whole "new buttons, no chrome" look is simply atrotious. I want an iPod badly, but I'm getting a 10 GB refurb if these rumors are true. :(

nagromme
Apr 11, 2003, 03:34 PM
Now people are just taking ALL the wind out of the sails of my parody :p

cubist
Apr 11, 2003, 05:52 PM
... maybe they are blister-type or touch-activated recessed, so they are sealed. With rubber caps for the connectors, we could make the iPod waterproof (not for diving, but to protect it from splashes). I think that would be a plus.

shadowfax
Apr 11, 2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by wsteineker
WHAT?!?!?!?!? Are you guys kidding here? Part of the reason that the iPod sells so well over other mp3 players with competitive feature sets (Creative Nomad, etc.) is it's aesthetic! This whole "new buttons, no chrome" look is simply atrotious. I want an iPod badly, but I'm getting a 10 GB refurb if these rumors are true. :( did you already see the new look? how do you know it's atrocious?

wsteineker
Apr 11, 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
did you already see the new look? how do you know it's atrocious?

Ok, fair enough. I have only the mock-ups at Think Secret and Loop Rumors to go on. If they're true to form, though, I think it's a real shame that Apple would let such a major design step backward see the light of day.

DreaminDirector
Apr 11, 2003, 08:48 PM
ok, I, too, was judging off of the buttons on the mockup from ThinkSecret. I supposed I did jump the gun, but just look at the beautiful scroll wheel and functionality of the ipod's interface as a whole. It's so simple that it's beautiful.

But, yes, I do leave it up to Apple to create something that will be as equally eye catching. Not a rendering at ThinkSecret.

JSRockit
Apr 11, 2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Even when you let it charge through your comp's FW port? Mine sure as heck does. That's why I never charge it through my computer. I always use the external adapter.

Actually...you are right. In use it doesn't, but I forgot about charging it.

sawaguchishinji
Apr 11, 2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by wsteineker
WHAT?!?!?!?!? Are you guys kidding here? Part of the reason that the iPod sells so well over other mp3 players with competitive feature sets (Creative Nomad, etc.) is it's aesthetic! This whole "new buttons, no chrome" look is simply atrotious. I want an iPod badly, but I'm getting a 10 GB refurb if these rumors are true. :(

Apple probably is going to be price-competitive with these new iPods. They will keep the 10GB iPod (the best selling one) and introduce these two new iPods with higher capacity and affordable to gain a lot more marketshare.

Hemingray
Apr 12, 2003, 04:18 AM
Actually...you are right. In use it doesn't, but I forgot about charging it.

Okay, whew, so it's not just me then! :D

Not to change subjects, but I wonder why that is....? Anybody wanna have a guess? I have absolutely no clue why the iPod would get hot when being charged through my comp's FW port, but not when being charged with the external adapter.

The only reason I can possibly think of is when it's plugged into the comp it doesn't allow the HD to spin down? Never tried unmounting the iPod but keeping it plugged into my comp, maybe I should try that sometime. :p

JSRockit
Apr 12, 2003, 08:13 AM
[i] Never tried unmounting the iPod but keeping it plugged into my comp, maybe I should try that sometime. :p [/B]

I do this each time...and it still gets hot. I wouldn't worry about it though...it is normal. If Apple does not use the chrome on the new iPods...I guess we know the reason they are going toward the base.

Akira
Apr 12, 2003, 09:58 AM
You know what's so great aboudt the current button layout? The iPod looks a bit like a speaker.
Anyway, I don't ever have problems with the button placement, so why change it?

About the chrome, when you're charging your iPod, you'll notice the back gets hot, the chrome functions as a heat conductor, the battery is connected to the back so that it conducts the heat from the battery to the back and out of the iPod.

But hey, if you complain about scratching your iPod's back, try scratching it some more, and you'll have a cool brushed metal back :p

MacWhispers
Apr 12, 2003, 01:19 PM
Unless Apple will be contracting the supposed new plastic back covers from a different injection plant than now makes the fronts, this rumor simply is not true.

Apple explored the white plastic back idea, even going so far as to create functional prototypes and obtaining firm costing from the plastic injection shop last Fall. After that, there was no further activity toward a plastic back.

Interestingly, the stamping plant that makes the current nickel-stainless back had dramatic reductions in production orders in January through February. But, that has now passed, and production has been ramped back to "early 2002 levels" again on the shiny pack covers, for "over a month.".

iJon
Apr 12, 2003, 01:34 PM
good im glad, not it wont scatch and girls cant take it from me so they can do their hair.

iJon

Nabber
Apr 13, 2003, 12:37 AM
Geez! What's the big deal about the looks? I'd rather have function over form. A 40gb HD rather than a 30GB and gold plated doodads, Light weight and a plastic backing rather than a heavy stainless steel plating and an added 8 oz, or anything that allows for a smaller size. Sound like you guys are trying to use these things to pick up chicks or someting! If it looks great, that's an added bonus for me but in no way will button position or the choice of materials keep me from buying the new version.

iJon
Apr 13, 2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Nabber
Geez! What's the big deal about the looks? I'd rather have function over form. A 40gb HD rather than a 30GB and gold plated doodads, Light weight and a plastic backing rather than a heavy stainless steel plating and an added 8 oz, or anything that allows for a smaller size. Sound like you guys are trying to use these things to pick up chicks or someting! If it looks great, that's an added bonus for me but in no way will button position or the choice of materials keep me from buying the new version.
well, while we are trying to pick up chicks with our pimp ipods you can go get you creative archos jukebox, its 40gb.

iJon

wsteineker
Apr 13, 2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by iJon
well, while we are trying to pick up chicks with our pimp ipods you can go get you creative archos jukebox, its 40gb.

iJon

You know, he's got a point... ;)

MetallicPenguin
Apr 13, 2003, 12:58 PM
I totally disagree with Nabber abot the look thing, I can't stand something all chunky and stuff, Apple Stands for style, creativity, and productivity. Either way I only need like 1 gigabyte! I have 16 songs. So I guess I can substitute the 40 gigs for more style, I'm just worried because I'm the one looking at the iPod, so I should enjoy it

MetallicPenguin
Apr 13, 2003, 02:06 PM
wow wait, here's a ipod mock-up someone made, and I have to admit it doesn't look that bad, but still

wsteineker
Apr 13, 2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by MetallicPenguin
wow wait, here's a ipod mock-up someone made, and I have to admit it doesn't look that bad, but still

No, not bad. Not too "good" either, though...

MetallicPenguin
Apr 13, 2003, 03:53 PM
yeah I know, but I could live with it, at times like this I think of stuff like that I am fortunate to be able to afford stuff like this.

But then either way I end up selling it later

damax452
Apr 13, 2003, 07:40 PM
I was under the impression that the back of the iPod was metal for cooling purposes. I don't think a plastic backing would work with this device. I like the chrome look of ipods, but i dont own one so i havent had to deal with scratches. What I would like to see is an aluminum backing. It doesnt have to be polished to a mirror finish to look cool either. Aluminum can be anodized in nearly any color. It can also be hard anodized to make it very tough and diffacult to scratch. As for the front of the new iPods, I don't like 'em. The old design was great, I hope these mock ups are inacurrate. We'll see. :rolleyes:

iJon
Apr 13, 2003, 07:45 PM
personally i would like the whole ipod to white, no need to mix color, make it like the ibook.

iJon

Nabber
Apr 13, 2003, 07:46 PM

iJon

iJon, your logic is flawed.

Just because I don't get wobbly knees from the looks of a $400 MP3 player doesn't mean I don't like other *FEATURES* of the iPod. Such things as user interface, quality DSP (see article I posted on page 1 about the audition), small size, low weight, Firewire transfers, integration with my DP QuickSilver... Shall I go on?

I think it's safe to say Apple will most likely release something that is at least appealing to a majority of it's market. Why everyone freaks out over some 8th grader's drawing of an imaginary product is beyond me. (Actually, I think the LoopRumors rendition looks awesome!)

iJon
Apr 13, 2003, 08:00 PM
iJon, your logic is flawed.

Just because I don't get wobbly knees from the looks of a $400 MP3 player doesn't mean I don't like other *FEATURES* of the iPod. Such things as user interface, quality DSP (see article I posted on page 1 about the audition), small size, low weight, Firewire transfers, integration with my DP QuickSilver... Shall I go on?

I think it's safe to say Apple will most likely release something that is at least appealing to a majority of it's market. Why everyone freaks out over some 8th grader's drawing of an imaginary product is beyond me. (Actually, I think the LoopRumors rendition looks awesome!)
lol, i was just making a fun comment, no hard feelings, i just sounded funny at the time.

iJon

boardbuff2
Apr 13, 2003, 09:07 PM
How about stainless steal?

Nabber
Apr 13, 2003, 10:45 PM
lol, i was just making a fun comment, no hard feelings, i just sounded funny at the time.

iJon

Fair enough iJon. Sorry to get so defensive. I got to thinking that I didn't articulate my comments well enough (which is common!) :)

iJon
Apr 13, 2003, 11:07 PM
Fair enough iJon. Sorry to get so defensive. I got to thinking that I didn't articulate my comments well enough (which is common!) :)
no problem, you probably thought i was making fun of you or something, i just had to say it.

iJon

iMook
Apr 13, 2003, 11:31 PM
THe new iPod button layout doesn't look too hot. But, to say that you'd rather keep the old layout (on which the button layout makes for accidental selections) purely for aesthetics is a bit over the top, IMHO.

Though this isn't exactly aesthetically shagadelic, I'm currently thinking of a layout that has the touchwheel pretty much unchanged, and has two buttons at 9 o'clock, and two buttons at 3 o'clock. They wouldn't be round, but would form a semicircle on each side (sorta like Mickey Mouse ears... okay, bad analogy). If they have recessed centers, each button can be clearly differentiated by touch, and accidental bumpings would become less frequent, since I think that most people change volume by brushng the sides of their touchwheels, as opposed to to the top.

Just some late-night mental knee pushups.

iJon
Apr 13, 2003, 11:37 PM
i wonder what it would be like to have buttons on the side, control the scroll with your thumb and press other buttons with your fingers, probably wouldnt be to great thinking of it know. i like the mickey mouse idea but thinking of it in my head makes it look ugly. i get the best ideas of stuff browsing spymac and seeing the renders people do, they got some great ideas over there.

iJon

iMook
Apr 14, 2003, 08:21 PM
buttons and scrollwheel on the side, IMHO, would make it another smaller Zen or Sony player.

I'm not good with Photoshop, but i might be able to make a render one of these days. It does look sorta ugly, so I'm thinking of ways to modify my idea. a la diff button shapes/number of buttons.

Hey, maybe a 5-way hat at the center of the currrent wheel.
It doesn't need to stick out, just be grippy, resistive enough, and slightly clicky (just enough so you can feel it). Then, you wouldn't accidentally activate it when controlling volume. Have the icons for the fucntions where the current buttons are, but just have a white rubber disc at the center like a joystick.

thunderchimp
Apr 14, 2003, 11:15 PM
don't you think that a plastic backing would have heat problems. :eek:

anonymous161
Apr 15, 2003, 02:46 PM
Just a thought for my first post: The idea of 4 buttons at the top of the iPod seemed kind of stupid at first, but the more I have thought about it, it does seem more functional. It is however, less pleasing to the eye, but I think I would get over it if the 4 buttons had fiber optic backlights like the new PowerBook keyboard.