PDA

View Full Version : Buying powerbook from private party

renikm
Apr 11, 2003, 01:26 PM
I'm looking to buy a 12" powerbook for from a private party and it is in box/factory sealed. Do I have anything to worry about if i buy it from him without a receipt? I get AppleCare and all that even without the receipt, right?

What do you guys think, is it scetchy? The guy seems legit, i'm just a little paranoid that's all! Any advice anyone on the transaction and all?!

thanks!

hugemullens
Apr 11, 2003, 01:37 PM
I think you'd need atleast his reciept. Apple care is transferable so you should give him the money, have him buy apple care, then buy it. (be sure to check the screen before actually paying for it). Apple tracks the serial numbers of computers sold and might frown if you bought apple care for a stolen powerbook.

renikm
Apr 11, 2003, 01:53 PM
Well, you don't have to buy Apple Care though. You get 1 year of free Apple Care with every powerbook. I wonder if the reciept matters or not though.

macktheknife
Apr 11, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by renikm
I'm looking to buy a 12" powerbook for from a private party and it is in box/factory sealed. Do I have anything to worry about if i buy it from him without a receipt? I get AppleCare and all that even without the receipt, right?

What do you guys think, is it scetchy? The guy seems legit, i'm just a little paranoid that's all! Any advice anyone on the transaction and all?!

thanks!

Where is this deal coming from? Through eBay? Through an online ad? You should also be wary of deals that sound too good to be true. Also DO NOT pay with Western Union.

renikm
Apr 11, 2003, 02:02 PM
It's from a craigslist posting, so it's totally local. I'm going to go over to the guy's house and buy it cash. Doesn't that make it less sketchy. Also it was bought with an educational discount so the price is right ie: he's not losing money on the deal/

any other thoughts?

ryme4reson
Apr 11, 2003, 02:57 PM
I have found that one of the best things to do is make sure you call Apple (from the guys house if you want) and verify the serial number with them that its not stolen, and that the unit has a clear SN. That way you are sure everything is straight. I have found buying on clist is the best way to go, face to face transactions are the best.

renikm
Apr 11, 2003, 02:59 PM
Is the SN on the box, or do you have to open it up?