PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook black keyboard display problems

maxmac
Oct 13, 2006, 01:14 PM
I've just bought a PowerBook G4 (black keyboard) second hand with a display problem.

What it is, is sometimes strange rectangular grids appear around objects and eventually take over the whole screen. At first, it is a rectangle made up of couloured pixels next to the mouse and the the problem gets worse when the screen changes (open a program, hover over an icon in the Dock etc.) and then the whole screen is affected (i.e. it is difficult to do anything), leaving me with no choice but to turn it off. Any Ideas? Do you think it is a loose connection that is easily repaired?:confused:

ormandj
Oct 13, 2006, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a problem with the video device/logic board. If things change when you "do" things on the computer, it's not a loose connection (unless you're physically moving the computer itself.) You should return that laptop to the seller, no matter what the problem with it is. No deal is good enough to make that kind of problem worth it - and Apple isn't cheap when it comes to repairs.

cschreppel
Oct 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
I used to have that same laptop (the Titanium Powerbook). Great machine. When I had a problem with one of the hinges breaking I decided to repair it myself. To do this, I had to take apart the entire machine - so I know all the inner workings of it. Like ormandj said, it's probably something to do with the video device/logic board.

The connection from the logic board to the display is run through a small hole on the right hinge (if you're looking at the display while using it). They can easily be crimped if the hinge snaps or has excess weight on it. It's happened to several friends of mine who also have that machine.

I wouldn't suggest taking it apart and trying to fix it yourself. Again, ormandj's suggestion of returning it to the seller is probably your best bet.

maxmac
Oct 14, 2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys...I think it is the logic board (unfortunately). I am going to try to get the people @ my nearest apple store to do something with the current logic board , as I don't wont the procceser etc. replaced

This kind of describes my problem down to a tee:

http://macosx.com/tech-support/g4-powerbook-screen-problem/16442.html

I think I'll just get a Mac Mini now as the people in the apple store can't really do much with my laptop. They said they don't really deal with TiBooks anymore.

:(