PDA

View Full Version : Possible to still get a Wii if i did not preorder at EB/Gamestop?

mac000
Oct 13, 2006, 04:31 PM
So i've been reading the news today and it looks like a lot of the gamestops and ebgames have been selling out of preorders for the Wii that started today. First, for sure I thought with nintendo supplying 2+ million units on launch day there should be no reason to have to preorder right?

Well lets say you want to preorder, but ebgames/gamestops are sold out of preorders. I mean Walmarts, Circuitcity's, Targets, ToysRus + other retail stores are going to have to have the systems available too right?

Will EBgames/Gamestops have more available than just what is for preorder at the moment, and this was just more or less a "test" situation to discover the real interest of consumers and the system(s)?

Motley
Oct 13, 2006, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't be too worried. Maybe it'll be hard to get in the first week or two, but from the sounds of it there should still be plenty of Wii's to go around.

zap2
Oct 13, 2006, 05:47 PM
I'd say go to Walmart, target or Best Buy to get one! They have not pre order any..so they will have more!

MattyMac
Oct 13, 2006, 05:58 PM
In my opinion the only things you will have trouble getting this holiday season are those TMX Elmo's and PS3's. Other than that, the Wii shouldn't be a problem...I've been hearing that there will be numerous shipments before Christmas.

OldSkoolNJ
Oct 13, 2006, 07:26 PM
Well I was one of the lucky ones and did get my pre pay today. However this is the way I look at it. Todays pre pays across many stores went in minutes. I think you will still have the same problems as we did with the 360 and PS3. Sure there are alot more being produced for sale but I think the demand will be 4-5 times as high. You have a game system at about half the price, with alot more support right away, a much bigger name in gaming than anyone else and a much bigger promise. So I would guarantee the same fiasco will happen with these as the others. There will be the huge lines at all the stores and camping out and all that fun. DOnt let those big numbers fool you.

Kevin

technocoy
Oct 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
that other game makers have created with short supply.

There (if rumors are to be believed) ALREADY 2 million+ units manufactured by the end of september.

So, with the rest of october and part of november left, you may not even have a hard time getting one at launch, and I would be pretty certain you could get one after that.

Nintendo estimates something like 6-7 million by the end of the year.

I wouldn't sweat it.

good luck.

eva01
Oct 13, 2006, 08:44 PM
The strawberries that is near me is still taking preorders on the wii and have been for the past month or so

actually quite a bit more

i preordered mine on the 29th of july

bobber205
Oct 13, 2006, 09:10 PM
If I'm allowed to get one, I'll likely get mine from my favorite store... Wal-Mart.

hahaahahahaha

Just kidding. I hate that store. But it's my only local option.

Jovian9
Oct 13, 2006, 09:47 PM
I DO want one on launch day but did not want to go sit in line for hours to pre-order....and I'm not to worried about it. I think they will be available and if not on launch day within the next month before Christmas.

barkins
Oct 13, 2006, 09:49 PM
Pfft, I live in LA - I'll walk into any Best Buy on launch day and pick one up. No problem. :cool:

white89gt
Oct 13, 2006, 10:18 PM
I got my pre-order taken care of at 10 am this morning. There wasn't any line and I was quite taken aback. I thought for sure that they would go quick, but I was first on their list.

Cameront9
Oct 13, 2006, 10:19 PM
If it's like the recent DS Lite launch, Gamestop and EB games will be sold out because they only got as many systems as they preordered, while you will be able to walk into any Best Buy, Target, Walmart, TRU, etc. and pick one up.

Seriously, the entire "Pre-Order" scheme is just a money-making plot by Gamestop/EB Games. The entire purpose is to create some kind of hype around the product that makes consumers (wrongly) think that they will need to preorder to get one.

sikkinixx
Oct 13, 2006, 10:59 PM
Seriously, the entire "Pre-Order" scheme is just a money-making plot by Gamestop/EB Games. The entire purpose is to create some kind of hype around the product that makes consumers (wrongly) think that they will need to preorder to get one.

right because everyone knows how fun it was to stand in line since the wee hours of the morning to try and get a 360 on launch without a pre-order in most of NA :rolleyes:

SamIchi
Oct 13, 2006, 11:40 PM
that other game makers have created with short supply.

There (if rumors are to be believed) ALREADY 2 million+ units manufactured by the end of september.

So, with the rest of october and part of november left, you may not even have a hard time getting one at launch, and I would be pretty certain you could get one after that.

Nintendo estimates something like 6-7 million by the end of the year.

I wouldn't sweat it.

good luck.

6-7 Million? Is that worldwide or just US?

bobber205
Oct 13, 2006, 11:50 PM
6-7 Million? Is that worldwide or just US?

Worldwide.

ReanimationLP
Oct 13, 2006, 11:56 PM
I'll guarantee you they'll be easy to find at these retailers :

Best Buy
Wal-Mart
Target
Circuit City (Good luck getting out of there, the CC employees here are nimrods)
Probably your local game shops.

bobber205
Oct 14, 2006, 12:00 AM
I'm calling SamGoody sometime tomorrow and asking if they're taking preorders. I'll report tomorrow.

If they are, guess where i'm immediately going!

Malus
Oct 14, 2006, 12:23 AM
So i've been reading the news today and it looks like a lot of the gamestops and ebgames have been selling out of preorders for the Wii that started today. First, for sure I thought with nintendo supplying 2+ million units on launch day there should be no reason to have to preorder right?

Well lets say you want to preorder, but ebgames/gamestops are sold out of preorders. I mean Walmarts, Circuitcity's, Targets, ToysRus + other retail stores are going to have to have the systems available too right?

Will EBgames/Gamestops have more available than just what is for preorder at the moment, and this was just more or less a "test" situation to discover the real interest of consumers and the system(s)?

I asked today. The dude said that they will only be getting whatever corprate said they would get on launch day (mine was 12). He said that there will be no more wii's til the next shipment which would probably be a week or two prior to the actual lauch day.

I''m just gonna try my luck at walmart, actually gonna try k-mart first, cause about 5 people shop there, true story.

it5five
Oct 14, 2006, 12:34 AM
right because everyone knows how fun it was to stand in line since the wee hours of the morning to try and get a 360 on launch without a pre-order in most of NA :rolleyes:

Very different situation. Nintendo has plenty of consoles available for a launch, whereas Microsoft didn't have any. :rolleyes:

rockthecasbah
Oct 14, 2006, 09:14 AM
I'm calling SamGoody sometime tomorrow and asking if they're taking preorders. I'll report tomorrow.

If they are, guess where i'm immediately going!
I thought SamGoody went bankrupt! All their stores in my area closed...:p

I had been contemplating the idea of preordering a Wii but i'll just wait another month, have people test out the games, and then get it for Chanukah with my brother or something :)