PDA

View Full Version : RAM usage by Final Cut Pro

eXan
Oct 14, 2006, 04:13 AM
Hey guys I have a question.

In the Buying Advice section ppl say that for video editing you need at least 2-4 gigs of RAM. May I ask what for? My FCP (5.1.2) doesnt take more than 150 MBs of RAM!

Is it normal for FCP?

FF_productions
Oct 14, 2006, 07:52 AM
Hey guys I have a question.

In the Buying Advice section ppl say that for video editing you need at least 2-4 gigs of RAM. May I ask what for? My FCP (5.1.2) doesnt take more than 150 MBs of RAM!

Is it normal for FCP?

Depends on what you are doing, if you have several sequences open, lots of footage, then Final Cut will be eating away your ram. Also when trying to play back stuff in RT, the ram will start kicking in.

Don't worry about ram usage, when it needs it, it will use it.

Final Cut Pro uses a maximum of 2.5 gigs of ram for its self because it is a 32 bit app and that's just what Apple says.

eXan
Oct 14, 2006, 08:15 AM
Depends on what you are doing, if you have several sequences open, lots of footage, then Final Cut will be eating away your ram. Also when trying to play back stuff in RT, the ram will start kicking in.

Don't worry about ram usage, when it needs it, it will use it.

Final Cut Pro uses a maximum of 2.5 gigs of ram for its self because it is a 32 bit app and that's just what Apple says.

I have 2 sequences open, one is full of footage, transitions, audio. Safe RT is on, but I do not have many effects - I do that stuff in Motion. Maximum I've seen FCP use is 151 MB :confused:

bigbossbmb
Oct 14, 2006, 11:37 AM
when you get into color correction and other filters (and put it on unlimited RT) you'll definitely see that number go up.

CanadaRAM
Oct 14, 2006, 11:39 AM
Also, FCP is the final test for showing up poor quality RAM. If the RAM is substandard, even if it passes Apple Hardware Test, Rember and Techtool, it'll crash FCP.

THanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

eXan
Oct 14, 2006, 08:13 PM
Also, FCP is the final test for showing up poor quality RAM. If the RAM is substandard, even if it passes Apple Hardware Test, Rember and Techtool, it'll crash FCP.

THanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

:D I didnt know that ;)

Mydriasis
Oct 15, 2006, 04:22 PM
FCP is very good at handling RAM, and it doesn't need alot. But you can change the amount of RAM it can use in FCP<Systempreferences.

Garden Knowm
Oct 15, 2006, 08:47 PM
I am cutting a 1 hour show now.. with Motion 2 and FCP 5.0 open nearly all the time. I just started watching "Menu Meters" 3 days ago.. I have never seen Ram usage go beyond 750mb.. I have 6GB of ram in my dual 2.5 G5..

using OS 10.4.8..

iloveyou

eXan
Oct 15, 2006, 10:57 PM
I am cutting a 1 hour show now.. with Motion 2 and FCP 5.0 open nearly all the time. I just started watching "Menu Meters" 3 days ago.. I have never seen Ram usage go beyond 750mb.. I have 6GB of ram in my dual 2.5 G5..

using OS 10.4.8..

iloveyou

Motion starts to eat RAM in gigs once you do a RAM preview of a large (or complex) file. It eats all my RAM (1.5 GB) when doing a RAM preview of a 400-frame clip (PAL)

PowerMike G5
Oct 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
I believe Motion will maximize use of your RAM, espscially when doing RAM previews ...