Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Hi, I was just asked by a producer from a French public channel (France 3, I guess) to use a clip I made in his program. It's some sort of candid camera thingy. It was part of a video report of a school trip to London, and during our trip home, we did this with some friends as a practical joke.
I uploaded it to YouTube and that's where he found it.

Now he asked for a broadcast quality version, and he is willing to pay for research (which was basically an inspiration of the moment) and for the broadcast rights.

Obviously, I'm very new to this stuff. I prepared a DV stream and avi video of it. but what I wanted to ask you guys was wether I should charge anything, and if yes, how much.

Are there any other things I should know about this stuff?

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
2nyRiggz said:
Indeed, make some money(If he is willing to pay) plus beef up your resume. I can't give you a price but this could be a foot in the door for you so go easy with the price.

How about letting him decide how much to pay?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I would go with letting him decide but make sure that he is a reasonable person and not just a buisness man... he might under charge you and just use you... :-/ So in that case I would set a price

But if he is a good guy and a reasonable person, go ahead and let him set the price and have a happy deal :). This would probably allow better communication and yes, put your foot in the door. Sometimes meeting him face to face and help this. Give a good impression :)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Macnoviz said:
How about letting him decide how much to pay?
keep in mind, you're never going to be offered more than he thinks is too little....

i.e. take his offer, raise it by 30-40% and negotiate from there.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Well, didn't do that stuff for money or such, so anything is a welcome bonus, and he works as a producer for a production house, selling a program to a channel, so they will just pass on the costs. so, he's not losing money by offering me more.

It's not that big a deal anyways.

About putting any foots in doors, that would be great, but I highly doubt something like that. but like I said, we made that video for fun in about 5 minutes, (though I did get quite a kick in doing it.) and really, anything that comes from it is more than I ever hoped for.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Productions companies are not usually willing to pay top dollar for video unless it is super crucial to the story, half the time they will just steal it. I would think you could get a couple of hundred dollars out of him though, since he wants broadcast quality- keep in mind that he's trading in Euro's, which are going for almost $1.35 last time I looked, so dollars are relatively cheap and what you think might be high is low to him

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Productions companies are not usually willing to pay top dollar for video unless it is super crucial to the story, half the time they will just steal it. I would think you could get a couple of hundred dollars out of him though, since he wants broadcast quality- keep in mind that he's trading in Euro's, which are going for almost $1.35 last time I looked, so dollars are relatively cheap and what you think might be high is low to him

I'm from Belgium, so I use Euto's as well. (and we even pay more euro's than you pay dollars for Apple products, thanks to our wonderful taxes)

Anyways, I'm gonna let him offer what he wants. I never made it with the intention to make money, so anything is nice.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Aside from the money issue, you should consider limiting his right to use the work. Otherwise it may end up in any number of productions from any number of companies and you won't make another penny from it.

In the agreement specify what the clip will be used for (program title and production date) and the number of times it can be aired without additional compensation.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.