PDA

View Full Version : Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree

MacBytes
Oct 15, 2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061015104736)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

relimw
Oct 15, 2006, 09:57 AM
For a guy that claims he's smart, Larry Bodine is an idiot.
I shouldn't have to point out that you can do stuff like saving a print set from the print dialog, three keys to take a snapshot of the desktop, or any of the silliness that he claims he had to download third party utilities to accomplish.

If he has his websites optimized for IE and expects the rest of the world to be able to make use of all the ActiveX crap, he's an idiot too. :rolleyes:

stevehp
Oct 15, 2006, 10:01 AM
:eek:

He'll have fun with that HP or Dell, let me tell you.

Shadow
Oct 15, 2006, 10:03 AM
:eek:

He'll have fun with that HP or Dell, let me tell you.
HP arn't that bad. I've had 0 problems with mine (thats the hardware, the Windows bit, well, you don't wanna know... HPs are built solidly, its just a shame they run Windows). Dell on the other hand...

Oh dear.

dbonesyl
Oct 15, 2006, 10:06 AM
This guy is really not intelligent at all. He couldn't figure out how to plug his 2 button mouse into the keyboard?

Safari doesnt' work with Flash? News to me, since I was just on 2 different flash sites.

Wow, possibly the most idiotic "tech" article I've ever read.

Eraserhead
Oct 15, 2006, 10:06 AM
He is an idiot, he thinks iCal and Mail require .Mac, and clearly with the beachballing hasn't added a decent amount of RAM to the G5 :rolleyes:.

kretzy
Oct 15, 2006, 10:08 AM
Taking screen shots requires software? That's news to me.

The whole thing was a load of tripe. :rolleyes:

Allotriophagy
Oct 15, 2006, 10:09 AM
Seriously, nobody should read this crud. It is full of factually wrong assertations and errors.

aranhamo
Oct 15, 2006, 10:25 AM
Reminds me of the Kim Commando review of the G4 iMac where she complained about being forced to use Netscape to browse the internet, when of course the G4 iMacs never came with Netscape, and in fact shipped with IE and Safari preinstalled. She made several other complaints about the G4 iMac which were items that were only true under OS 9, making it obvious that she wrote her review without ever actually using the iMac.

Sounds like this guy is just as clueless and is just complaining that Macs don't work just like Windows.

BrianMojo
Oct 15, 2006, 10:27 AM
ARGH! I hate this crap. I want to e-mail the guy and tell him how big of an idiot he is, but I know it won't help anything but my conscience. Oi.

Lau
Oct 15, 2006, 10:33 AM
I think the author's just a bit thick, bless him.

However, it does raise the point that people like him perhaps shouldn't use a Mac, because he obviously isn't very good at learning new things. The way Windows does screenshots and printing isn't any more intuitive, he's just used to it. But if he (and other people who can't learn new things very easily) has learnt that way, he'll find it easier. Fine. Shame people like that are allowed to write biased articles pretending to be the truth though.

I suspect some of the other stuff like needing a .mac account and not being able to figure out Word came from getting frustrated by some of the different stuff, and then not looking into things properly, really.

Oh, and I had a lot of problems with Safari and Flash not every time, but more so than in other browsers like Camino.

SMM
Oct 15, 2006, 10:44 AM
You say, "I'm smart..". What a laugh. I find it incredible anyone would allow you to write about technology. You know zip about it. Your article is raising a million laughs right now amongst the readers of several dozen websites. Unfortunately, your name is not being bandied about with respect, but instead with laughter. Maybe some site will have an annual Bodine Award for the dumbest post? Just because you cannot figure something out on the first try should not cause you to throw a temper tantrum. I bet your mother used to coddle you and say, "it's OK, pumpkin. Don't cry. Those Legos are just as mean as the Tinker Toys were.

jackmac13
Oct 15, 2006, 11:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that, from the looks of the picture posted here, that this man might be breaking a law. Unless it's a special pickup by his local garbage service, I don't believe that you can dispose of a computer this way due to it's hazardous nature.:p

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1160730321685

Daringescape
Oct 15, 2006, 11:22 AM
The Guy is using aol???? what do you expect.

GeeYouEye
Oct 15, 2006, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure that, from the looks of the picture posted here, that this man might be breaking a law. Unless it's a special pickup by his local garbage service, I don't believe that you can dispose of a computer this way due to it's hazardous nature.:p

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1160730321685

It can't be real. It's not possible to lift a G5 one-handed without it digging into one's flesh.

Good lord this guy is an idiot. Can't read Flash? Neither can IE out of the box. Need software for a screencap? cmnd-shift-3, to say nothing of cmnd-shift-4, which is often more useful. Sadly, lawyers like this often become politicians.

bigbossbmb
Oct 15, 2006, 11:31 AM
wow.....wow.....

There are so many things wrong with this article it is hard to find a place to start. I love when people dislike the one button mouse and don't even bother to find out if they can buy a $5 usb mouse with two buttons. I think my favorite part was that Safari can't view Flash. And how did he spend $4500 on a dual 2.7ghz five months ago? if he is including an ACD, then he is a complete moron for not understanding that he can use that beautiful screen on his HP.

steve_hill4
Oct 15, 2006, 11:35 AM
He also seems to think that his Dual 2.7GHz will be lucky to raise half it's value in resale. When he lists and gets almost all his money back, perhaps he will complain a little less.

How about he also stuck with the stock 512MB RAM and that's why he saw his machine beachballing so much.

funkychunkz
Oct 15, 2006, 12:02 PM
Mac G5: $4,552.71. Microsoft office: $399. Law school, $300,000.

Technology columninst not being able to figure out a mac: Priceless.

... the same guy saying he's 'smart': is somebody paying me to read this?

BlueRevolution
Oct 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
It can't be real. It's not possible to lift a G5 one-handed without it digging into one's flesh.

Good lord this guy is an idiot. Can't read Flash? Neither can IE out of the box. Need software for a screencap? cmnd-shift-3, to say nothing of cmnd-shift-4, which is often more useful. Sadly, lawyers like this often become politicians.

*cough* bunch of tubes. :D

zephead
Oct 15, 2006, 12:34 PM
That just goes to show that not everyone is ready for a Mac. If you're stubborn, don't like to try new things, and don't bother to research them before you bitch about 'em, then a Mac is definitely not for you.

brianus
Oct 15, 2006, 12:45 PM
He also seems to think that his Dual 2.7GHz will be lucky to raise half it's value in resale. When he lists and gets almost all his money back, perhaps he will complain a little less.

How about he also stuck with the stock 512MB RAM and that's why he saw his machine beachballing so much.

I love that he bought an obsolete 2.7GHz G5, obviously used or refurb, in May of this year (and for $4500?? I hope that included a monitor!). The guy doesn't do anything that could ever remotely require a PowerMac; an iMac (Core Duo) would have been fine for him, cheaper and come with a 2-button mouse of its own (though he probably never would have figured out that you need to enable the second button in System Preferences), not to mention the ability to run his much loved Windows. But no doubt he just looked at the GHz and ended his research there; probably not even aware of the Intel switch.

Also, what's this about Alt+Print Screen? It doesn't do anything on any of my PCs...

Silentwave
Oct 15, 2006, 12:58 PM
alt-prt scrn (in some cases like my hp laptop, it is function-prt scrn) copies a screenshot to the clipboard. you have to paste it into something to save it.

gerardrj
Oct 15, 2006, 01:10 PM
As far as I can tell by visiting Larry's web site, he's not a lawyer at all; so why he's published on a law web site I have no idea.

The most delicious part is that he is a MARKETING SPEAKER. He teaches people how to market their products, services and business in general. I think the thing that gets me most is that he fell for marketing hype. I'm not saying the hype isn't correct, I love all my Macs, bust the idea that a person would purchase a businesses critical computer based solely on suggestion and not do ANY research or try the machine out in a store first is simply unfathomable to me.

Does he also purchase 10 tons of the snack foods that his junior high friends tell him are good? Does he drive the car his artists friends recommended, sight unseen?

This guy's actions were just plain stupid, his claim to be smart to the contrary.

whooleytoo
Oct 15, 2006, 01:28 PM
Long post, but I had to respond:

The signs of doom were there on day one, but I ignored them. I pretended that I liked the one button mouse. I quickly started using click + command keys (and other keyboard shortcuts). I really missed the little scrolling wheel in the center of the mouse.

A multi-button mouse with a scroll ball (better than a scroll wheel) is available was an option when you bought your Mac. If you wanted it, you should have chosen it.

I did like the Finder because it was quick in locating files, but it would turn up a lot of false hits. It was comparable to the Google Desktop searcher on my PC.

False hits? I've never had one, nor heard of anyone else who has. Perhaps you don't realise Spotlight is very powerful, and searches not just filenames and content, but also metadata which can contain the "hit".

What drove me nuts was that I would open Word for Mac and couldn't delete files while I was in Word. There is no File | Delete option. So the documents took up space on my hard drive, until someone told me I had to find the document in Finder and then move it into the trash from there. This seemed stupid to me; I just wanted to highlight a file and tap "delete."

This is an application feature - if you want it you should request it from the application developer, Microsoft. (Personally, it's one I'd rather do without. I think file management isn't something my word processor should be taking on, or my games, or my calculator. Otherwise you're left in a situation where each app has a different menu option for deleting files, possibly in different menus, possibly with different keystrokes. Nightmare).

Word files transferred from the Mac were missing pictures. PowerPoint files transferred from the Mac would lose their formatting. PCs and Macs are not compatible, regardless of what they say.

That's an application bug, you should contact the applications' developer, Microsoft in both cases. Incidentally, having formatting issues with two applications doesn't make two machines incompatible.

The multiple clicking to accomplish simple tasks was a constant annoyance. Things I could do with a PC in two keystrokes took four or five clicks with the Mac. To do a "fast print" required clicking File, Print, find Copies & Pages, click Paper Type/Quality, click Normal and finally clicking Fast Draft. And there was no way to leave the setting as the default. I had to do it manually every time.

I can only assume this is a HP specific issue, as my (standard OSX) print dialog doesn't even have a "Paper Type/Quality" setting. I'd suggest you contact the printer developer, HP.

Doing a simple screen capture was an immense chore. On a PC you just press Alt and tap PrtScr. With the Mac I had to download and launch special programs to accomplish this simple task.

Command-Shift 3, or Command-Shift 4.

I didn't even bother with the Mac's iCal or Mail, which required me to buy an @mac.com address.

Wrong, and wrong.

For me the killer was the Web browser. Safari simply cannot read Flash.

Quite correct, Safari can't read Flash, it's the Adobe Flash plugin which does so, and it does quite well.

It is, quite simply, a second-rate browser.

Interesting. Considering its market share is (percentage wise) the fastest growing out there, you'd have to wonder how quickly it would be growing if it were "first rate". :rolleyes:

Incidentally, your (apparently) beloved Internet Explorer is losing market share, hand over fist. Whether that's because people are switching to other browsers, or simply because their PCs have been obliterated by countless trojans, viruses and worms thanks to IE's myriad vulnerabilities, who knows?

I even called Apple headquarters and asked when a better version would be available and was told that Apple is in no hurry to improve it.

Really? I called Microsoft, and they said they're improving IE for me right now. Even offered me a coffee and a head massage while I wait.

On the suggestions of friends, I downloaded Netscape and Firefox, which were no better.

So, Netscape and Firefox, which are nearly identical to the PC equivalents, don't suit you. Safari, doesn't suit you. It sounds like the only thing which might suit you is... Internet Explorer, the world's worst browser.

I scraped along with Internet Explorer 5.0 for Mac, and then discovered in 2006 that Microsoft would no longer support the Mac version. You can't do WSYWIG on Typepad (where many folks create their blogs), which you can on a PC.

I run several Web sites, all optimized for IE 5.5 or higher. I couldn't operate my own Web sites with the Mac. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Please. Pleaaaaaase don't make me laugh so hard again. My doctor says it'll be the end of me.

(Forgive the upper case, but it's necessary in this case). YOU OPTIMIZED ALL YOUR SITES FOR ONE BROWSER, AND NOW YOU'RE SURPRISED WHEN THEY DON'T WORK PROPERLY ON ANOTHER???????!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Dr. Whooleytoo says: I understand your pain and suffering. Perhaps if you, and other web site designers, stopped using all the browser specific features of IE, and thus creating the kinds of incompatibilities you're complaining about, you might just save yourself a lot of hassle.

You might even have time to take up a new hobby, like using Philips screws in every room in your house, then complaining in your blog that your stupid regular screwdriver is now incompatible.

Then the hard drive croaked on me after only three months of owning the machine. I couldn't tell what was going wrong and had to hire someone for $125 an hour to come over and tell me what the heck was happening. Apple replaced it for free, but I became leery of what other hardware would fail unexpectedly.

I could tell you what hardware will fail unexpectedly, but then it would be expectedly, and thus nothing would fail unexpectedly. (Wow, that was deep.)

Hardware fails on every kind of machine, not just Macs. Macs tend to have better than average failure rates, as Apple don't use bargain basement components.

I let the repaired shiny Mac sit on the floor for weeks, and instead used my reliable IBM ThinkPad, and rediscovered how much I enjoy it. Wish me luck on selling the Mac.

If it's so worthless, I'll buy it as a big paperweight. Sell it to me for a fiver?

Here's a deal: in spite of a considerable legal library at my disposal (several episodes of Matlock, some of which I've watched), I'm willing to promise never, ever to give legal advice to you if you promise never, ever, to give technical advice to me. Deal?

parenthesis
Oct 15, 2006, 02:32 PM
I've had people be confused about setting up Mail and iChat, because they thought that they needed a .Mac account -- The first dropdown in the account setup wizard is pre-selected at .Mac. That's confusing for people that don't know the real functionality of the programs. I really wish that Apple would stop trying to over-promote the service.

Sesshi
Oct 15, 2006, 04:08 PM
Even Windows Fanboy here says that article was written by an idiot. Well, except for web browsing being crap.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 15, 2006, 04:24 PM

Bingo, these are the type of clowns who infest our govt. This guy couldnt even find the delete key. Clearly he's out of his league. He should stick with paper and pencil if given instructions like dont put into eye and that kind of thing, or paper can cut.

killmoms
Oct 15, 2006, 04:42 PM
I'm sure it was a waste of time, but I just sent a very long e-mail to Mr. Bodine, calmly explaining and pointing out the inaccuracies in his article and offering solutions/explanations for things he clearly didn't investigate on his own. I got an automated response telling me he was out of the office until Tuesday. I'm not sure if that's because he's really gone, or he got buried under the piles of angry e-mails... but I hope he reads mine eventually and offers a retraction or corrections at least. I won't be holding my breath though.

SC68Cal
Oct 15, 2006, 05:52 PM
Someone went through Windows withdraw, but didn't stick it out long enough for it to leave his system.

Going cold turkey is tough. Been there done that.

IJ Reilly
Oct 15, 2006, 06:17 PM
What I want to know is: Who holds Larry's fork while he eats?

whooleytoo
Oct 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
I got an automated response telling me he was out of the office until Tuesday. I'm not sure if that's because he's really gone, or he got buried under the piles of angry e-mails...

..or he still hasn't figured out how Mail works..

ironjaw
Oct 15, 2006, 07:16 PM
I sent him a loong reply to, basically i was soo appalled that I wrote

"The Law teaches us to be unbiased and consider each argument whether opposing or defending you should have taken that into consideration when you posted your article."

He cleary does not have the necesssary understanding of Technology. he is blaming everything on Software. Can you say MI-CRO-SOFT.

You just cannot post crap on the Net. If he really wanted to make a mark, he should have RESEARCHED and understood the area and given solid arguments that could not be rebutted. All his assertions are factually wrong!

pilotgi
Oct 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
Previous posts have already debunked this clearly factually inaccurate article, but I just had to say what a good laugh I got from this on a boring rainy Sunday.

I'm surprised no one has suggested that Microsoft paid this guy to write it.

Silencio
Oct 15, 2006, 11:52 PM
Previous posts have already debunked this clearly factually inaccurate article, but I just had to say what a good laugh I got from this on a boring rainy Sunday.

I'm surprised no one has suggested that Microsoft paid this guy to write it.

There are some people in this world who are so stupid, they clearly deserve Windows. The author of this article being one of 'em.

zephead
Oct 15, 2006, 11:57 PM
There are some people in this world who are so stupid, they clearly deserve Windows. The author of this article being one of 'em.
I agree, Silencio. :D

mdntcallr
Oct 16, 2006, 12:08 AM
yes, some people deserve to use windows pc's.

not only did he not properly learn how to use the mac. he is dumb for a lawyer.

ie, you don't need to buy .mac to use mail program.

what a retard

jackc
Oct 16, 2006, 12:41 AM
Hilarious article.

iJaz
Oct 16, 2006, 02:54 AM
Interesting that there was a link on the page
"Related Items:
Can a Lawyer Get the Job Done With a Macintosh?"
which links to a very good article written by Ed Siebel on September 22 http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLTN.jsp?id=1158829528257
Why didn't this moron Larry Bodine just ask Ed Siebel for help? Obviously there seems to be smart guys writing for the site also.

BenRoethig
Oct 16, 2006, 08:17 AM
CMD-delete to put something in the trash
CMD-shift-delete to empty the trash.

It sounds like this guy expected the Mac to have the same exact keystrokes as a PC. He didn't make an effort to learn how to use a Mac.

backspinner
Oct 16, 2006, 10:07 AM
or choose "move to trash" from the action button.
taking screen shots can also by a default program from the utilities folder.

what I don't get is that he bought the most expensive model to start with... without even researching how to use it. clearly lawyers earn too much money :D

Oct 16, 2006, 04:42 PM
The guy's website looks like he sells anti-aging pills or something. I guess besides being an idiot, he's also a quite the marketing genius.

jettredmont
Oct 16, 2006, 08:44 PM
By Larry Bodine

http://www.larrybodine.com/
Web and Marketing Consultant

I run several Web sites, all optimized for IE 5.5 or higher. I couldn't operate my own Web sites with the Mac.

Sigh. What a maroon. Great sales pitch, there, Larry. "I am a web consultant, and I advise all my clients to only support Windows IE because other browsers like Firefox and Safari (not to mention Opera and the various wrapped-engine projects like Camino and OmniWeb) don't exist in my little world." Yes, far better to pretend other browsers don't exist rather than admit you've been selling crap work to law firms for the past several years.

If he can't figure out that the "Presets" dropdown on the Print dialog contains a "Save" option then he has no business touching computers to do anything more complicated than writing office memos to see who made off with the blue eyeshadow (if you don't know what I'm talking about, consider yourself luck and do NOT go looking around his website).

IMHO, I'm not sure how that website looks any better in IE. Maybe it has a blinking marquee running across the top that I'm missing in Safari.