PDA

View Full Version : 3,000,000 Post Apple Advertisement Contest

Doctor Q
Oct 15, 2006, 02:46 PM
MacRumors Forums is approaching its three millionth post. To celebrate, we are having an Apple Advertisement Contest. The contest runs from today, Monday, October 16, 2006, through the moment of the 3,000,000th post in the MacRumors forums.

Contestants are to create and submit an invented advertisement for an Apple product or service. Winners will be chosen in two categories: Best Apple Print Ad
Best Apple Video Ad
Print Ads are ones Apple might print or display on a billboard, poster, static web page, etc. You get to invent the graphic design, do any photo work, add text or a clever slogan, and so on.

Video Ads are ones Apple might show on TV or let you play on a web page. They can be live action or animations.

You may create an ad for a real Apple product or for an imaginary Apple product. You can invent your own ad theme or imitate a real Apple campaign, e.g., PC and Mac, Think Different, Switch, 1984, iPod ads, etc. You may use whatever tools you have available (graphics programs, iMovie, etc.). It must be your own work.

Each winner will receive two prizes: Bragging rights

A special symbol that will appear below their user title next to all of their posts
Finalists and winners will be chosen by polls of the members, with contest entrants divided randomly into pools. All active MacRumors members are eligible to compete and to vote in the pools and final poll.

We are providing the server space for all contest entries. We reserve the right to store and display each entry during the contest and in a gallery after the contest.

Entries do not have to be professional-quality masterpieces. Amateurs are invited to try their hand. The contest is for fun, so good luck and enjoy yourselves!

To see the contest entries as they accumulate, display the 3,000,000 Post Contest forum.

Doctor Q
Oct 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
Please read through these rules. They will answer most of your questions.

1. Eligibility. Any MacRumors member with any active member status can enter. You can submit as many entries as you like.

2. Originality. Submissions must be new work done by you, not previously seen on the MacRumors boards.

3. Files. Each entry must be a single file.Print ads should be in a graphic format displayable by web browsers: jpg, png, or gif. Any reasonable filesize or pixel size is acceptable. In particular, the attachment size limit in the forums does not apply.

Video ads can be at most 30 seconds long and 15MB in size. The file may be a movie in QuickTime format, a non-interactive Flash file, or an animated gif file. File formats: mov, mp4, m4v, swf, gif.
4. Submission. Uploading your file submits your contest entry and creates a new thread in the 3,000,000 Post Contest forum. Here are the steps: Go to the Contest Upload Page (http://att.macrumors.com/contest.php).
Click Choose File.
Navigate to your file and double-click it.
Click Upload - that's it!The original filename does not matter. The file will be stored on our server and assigned a URL, e.g., http://att.macrumors.com/contest/0BC245.gif. A thread in the 3,000,000 Post Contest forum will be created, with a post by you containing that URL, and that post will be displayed.
5. Your comments. You do not need to post again, but you are welcome to post again (post #2 and later) in the newly created contest thread. Nitpickers note: the usual forum rule against making two consecutive posts within a short time does not apply when a post is auto-generated in this way. In your posts you can explain how you came up with the idea
comment on how you made your ad
report who starred in your movie
identify your team members (see number 7 below)
tell us a title we can use for your entry in the contest gallery, e.g.,Title: Dalmatian iPodsOtherwise, we will assign your entry a title.No matter what you put in post #2 and later, your entry for official purposes is the file you uploaded at the URL shown in post #1.6. Other comments. Anyone can post comments in anybody else's contest thread to talk about that entry.

7. Collaborative entries. You may join with one or a few other qualified MacRumors members and create and submit an entry together. Each member must contribute to the work in a nontrivial way. One member should submit the entry and state clearly in post #2 who is on the team. Please include live links to those members' MacRumors profiles, e.g.,Team: Mr. Anderson, edesignukAll team members will be considered equal participants for that entry and will receive any prize it wins.

8. Changes. You cannot change an ad after you submit it. If you revise it, submit it as a separate contest entry. If you want to delete a previously submitted entry while the contest entry period is still open, PM a moderator.

9. Suitability. Keep it clean. The usual forum rules about good taste apply. If you even question whether or not an entry is appropriate, do not submit it. PM a moderator and ask about it first.

10. Entry period. The period for contest entries starts Monday, October 16, 2006. It ends the moment of post number 3,000,000, which we estimate to be sometime before the end of the month. The exact moment depends on posting rates, which vary day to day. There will be an announcement here when the entry period is over.

11. Pools. At the close of the entry period, the moderators will assemble all contest entries, review eligibility, divide the entries randomly into pools for each of the two categories, and post polls in which all active members can vote. This process may take a couple of days.The number of pools and the number of entries per pool will be determined based on the total number of contest entries. Each poll will be open for at least 3 days. Ties, if they occur, will be handled as co-winners.

We may choose not to include entries that are substantially the same as another entry by the same member, with an intention to exhibit their best work.
12. Voting. We encourage voting based on creativeness, craftsmanship, realism (compared to real Apple ads), and/or humor, but because voting is public members may make their own judgements for their own reasons. We ask that there be no voting based on personal popularity, member status, or other factors not related to the contest entry. We discourage you from actively campaigning for your own entries or for or against others, other than reasonable praise or constructive criticism in comments.

13. Finals. After the pool voting period ends, two final polls, one for each contest category, will be posted by the moderators, to determine the overall winner in each category. An individual forum member will be allowed at most one contest entry in the finals. Again, all active members can vote.

14. Winners. Entries with the most votes during the voting period will win the contest. The moderators will verify winners and handle any unforeseen circumstances. Their decisions on all issues and interpretation of the rules are final.

15. Prizes. Finalists get enviable bragging rights. Winners get even more enviable bragging rights, and a small Contest Winner graphic under their user title (above their avatar, if any), which will remain indefinitely.

16. Rules. If you don't follow the contest rules, your entry will not be eligible to be in the voting pools. A mistake in following rules may or may not be noticed or pointed out to you during the entry period. If you have comments or questions about the contest rules, post them in this thread.

17. Legal mumbo jumbo. There is no legal mumbo jumbo. We're doing this just for fun! When in doubt, we'll use common sense and you should too.

LimeiBook86
Oct 16, 2006, 03:50 PM
Oh man this sounds like a lot of fun. :D I can't wait to see some of the entries! :)

h?
Oct 16, 2006, 04:11 PM
That link to the upload page is invalid Q.

wmmk
Oct 16, 2006, 05:01 PM
i'm pretty sure i read this carefully, but how many entries may each member have?

WildCowboy
Oct 16, 2006, 05:02 PM
i'm pretty sure i read this carefully, but how many entries may each member have?

Rule #1:

You can submit as many entries as you like.

wmmk
Oct 16, 2006, 05:07 PM
Rule #1:
dur-duh-dur!!!!!:o
maybe i got a really bad concussion from that bike accident!;)

WildCowboy
Oct 16, 2006, 05:11 PM
dur-duh-dur!!!!!:o
maybe i got a really bad concussion from that bike accident!;)

Yeah...we'll let it slide this time. No mocking the guy in the cervical collar! ;) :D

Doctor Q
Oct 16, 2006, 05:22 PM
That link to the upload page is invalid Q.We need a third opinion, please. Can others see the Contest Upload (http://att.macrumors.com/contest.php) page? One answer is sufficient, thank you.

LimeiBook86
Oct 16, 2006, 05:23 PM
We need a third opinion, please. Can others see the Contest Upload (http://att.macrumors.com/contest.php) page? One answer is sufficient, thank you.
Yup looks great! :D :)

amacgenius
Oct 16, 2006, 05:32 PM
Question: skoker and I already posted our entries, can we also use that thread for bloopers (we had a ton) but they're not contest entries?

liketom
Oct 16, 2006, 05:41 PM
lol you are just asking for me to do another one of my vids :D

great contest btw

Doctor Q
Oct 16, 2006, 05:46 PM
Question: skoker and I already posted our entries, can we also use that thread for bloopers (we had a ton) but they're not contest entries?Sure. Anything else in the thread should have something to do with your contest entry, and that certainly qualifies.

Allotriophagy
Oct 16, 2006, 06:10 PM
MacRumors Forums is approaching its three millionth post.

Clearly, this is including all the "I WANT C2D LAPTOPS" threads.

DJ OJ
Oct 16, 2006, 07:25 PM
What do you win? LOL :D Oh, I see it now. SORRY!

count chocula
Oct 16, 2006, 07:55 PM
doc. Q, I'm having a little trouble uploading my second entry.. the first one took about a second, but this one gets stuck on contacting.. :confused:

edit: nevermind, i waited a few minutes and tried again. success.

skoker
Oct 16, 2006, 08:22 PM
Should this have anything to do with/ any mention of MacRumors?

If not, we're redoing ours. (well, we will anyways, but...)

Doctor Q
Oct 16, 2006, 08:46 PM
Should this have anything to do with/ any mention of MacRumors?It doesn't have to have any connection with MacRumors, only with Apple products.

Kingsly
Oct 17, 2006, 11:09 AM
Video ads can be at most 30 seconds long and 15MB in size. The file may be a movie in QuickTime format, a non-interactive Flash file, or an animated gif file. File formats: mov, mp4, m4v, swf, gif.
Any chance of this becoming 1 minute if I were to use my own server? :)

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?

Doctor Q
Oct 17, 2006, 11:43 AM
Any chance of this becoming 1 minute if I were to use my own server? :)

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?We're trying to limit not only the total storage space but the time it takes people to receive the movies for viewing.

I suggest scaling the pixel size or shortening it for submitting as a contest entry, so it meets the rules, and then posting a link in your contest thread to a larger version on your own server. That way people can see it in its full size splendor if they choose to, or use the modest-bandwidth version stored on the MacRumors server.

dmw007
Oct 17, 2006, 02:54 PM
Clearly, this is including all the "I WANT C2D LAPTOPS" threads.

Yes, all 100,000 of them. :p ;) :D

amacgenius
Oct 17, 2006, 05:49 PM
Ok, my 1.9mb PNG is STILL uploading (5 mins) according to the contest entry page, which is still going...

Edit: I stopped and I'm trying again and it's still not going, Q any ideas?

Kingsly
Oct 17, 2006, 06:39 PM
We're trying to limit not only the total storage space but the time it takes people to receive the movies for viewing.

I suggest scaling the pixel size or shortening it for submitting as a contest entry, so it meets the rules, and then posting a link in your contest thread to a larger version on your own server. That way people can see it in its full size splendor if they choose to, or use the modest-bandwidth version stored on the MacRumors server.
w00t!

*preps greenscreen*

Doctor Q
Oct 17, 2006, 07:04 PM
I stopped and I'm trying again and it's still not going, Q any ideas?I've never met a 1.9mb png before, so perhaps there's something odd about that kind of file, but that doesn't seem likely. After all, file transfer shouldn't care and the server doesn't analyze the file content, just the file type.

Did you try it a 2nd time? That's what I'd do. You can always ask us to delete a duplicate entry if you accidentally succeed more than once.

Lau
Oct 17, 2006, 10:46 PM
I have a question. It says it has to be your own work, and so I assumed we had to create the music ourselves too, but I've noticed commercial music on other people's entries. Do we have to make our own music or can we use commercial tracks?

I know a track that would fit mine perfectly, but I don't know if I could use it or not. No worries if not, as I can get a-Garagebanding if need be...

monke
Oct 17, 2006, 10:54 PM
I have a question. It says it has to be your own work, and so I assumed we had to create the music ourselves too, but I've noticed commercial music on other people's entries. Do we have to make our own music or can we use commercial tracks?

I know a track that would fit mine perfectly, but I don't know if I could use it or not. No worries if not, as I can get a-Garagebanding if need be...

Exactly, I had almost the exact same question.

Can we use pictures, say of an iPod from Apple's site, and use them?
Also can we use their description/titles too?

Butthead
Oct 18, 2006, 11:13 AM
MacRumors Forums is approaching its three millionth post. To celebrate, we are having an Apple Advertisement Contest. The contest runs from today, Monday, October 16, 2006, through the moment of the 3,000,000th post in the MacRumors forums.

Each winner will receive two prizes: Bragging rights

A special symbol that will appear below their user title next to all of their posts

What, no avatar for newer members? Hardly seems worth the efforting then (not that I'd want an avatar associated with this particular acct :p ...well except maybe a really obnoxious strobe-flashing-animated gif avatar ).

What does this special symbol look like? And if the winner doesn't like it, can they have it removed?

Doctor Q
Oct 18, 2006, 02:19 PM
Lau and monke: We can't grant contestants permission to use licensed or copyrighted raw materials for their imitation ads, so it is each entrant's responsibility to use such material only as "fair use" laws permits, or to obtain any necessary permission. You'll have to decide if the soundtrack for your movie qualifies as "fair use" as it is usually defined (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html) (that's about the U.S. version). An image used for the purposes of parody of or commentary on the original is often considered fair use. But these issues are open to debate, and they depend on the work and the context, so we cannot make legal judgments ourselves. Each member is therefore responsible for that judgement call.

Butthead: Avatars are not prizes for this contest both because we wanted to do something differently than in the past and because many members already have avatars. We hope winners will like the "special symbol" but we will remove it if they choose not to "wear" it.

liketom
Oct 18, 2006, 03:08 PM
i'm having problems uploading - it uploads and takes me back to the choose upload window?

.Mov file 8.4mb

Help:o

Lau
Oct 18, 2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Doctor Q. I think for the purposes of this one, I'd better use Garageband. :)

WildCowboy
Oct 18, 2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Doctor Q. I think for the purposes of this one, I'd better use Garageband. :)

It's more work, but it's also more fun! It's good experience/practice, too.

Lau
Oct 18, 2006, 03:30 PM
It's more work, but it's also more fun! It's good experience/practice, too.

I'm actually looking forward to it I had my first try at it a while ago for a particularly silly animation, and in spite of having no musical sense whatsoever, it had very amusing results indeed. This should be fun. :D

monke
Oct 18, 2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Doctor Q.

x2'ed :)

macEfan
Oct 19, 2006, 08:14 PM
ooo sounds like fun!

*cranks up the photoshop brain cells*

can we also make movies on apple's history? would that count?

Doctor Q
Oct 19, 2006, 08:29 PM
can we also make movies on apple's history? would that count?The contest theme is "Apple Advertisements" but we won't exclude an Apple history movie if you submit it. That doesn't mean people are likely to vote for it as "Best Apple Ad", but you and others might still have fun.

ATD
Oct 19, 2006, 08:32 PM
Quick question, if I want to replace the image (very slight tweaks) I have in my entry post how would I do it? The tweaks are very slight so no reason to start a new thread.

Doctor Q
Oct 19, 2006, 11:11 PM
Start a new thread anyway; that's how the system is set up. If you want the old thread not counted for the contest, post in either thread and say so, or PM me.

monke
Oct 19, 2006, 11:21 PM
I'm guessing that every entry submitted is being logged and kept in a seperate place so that the judges can go and vote for them without having to go through every thread. That's why we have the 'contest' page now.

Kingsly
Oct 20, 2006, 01:12 PM
Okay Q, I found a perfect place to cut it but it leaves me at 35 seconds... Am I disqualified from submitting? :o

Also, can someone suggest some nifty compression settings for me to achieve the 30 mb limit with decent quality?

Doctor Q
Oct 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
Okay Q, I found a perfect place to cut it but it leaves me at 35 seconds... Am I disqualified from submitting? :o

Also, can someone suggest some nifty compression settings for me to achieve the 30 mb limit with decent quality?Rule revision: The maximum is exactly and precisely 30 seconds, plus or minus a reasonable fudge factor. Five seconds is reasonable. :)

liketom
Oct 20, 2006, 01:55 PM
Rule revision: The maximum is exactly and precisely 30 seconds, plus or minus a reasonable fudge factor. Five seconds is reasonable. :)
LOL 2 hours of hard cutting down the secs to get my new one to 30 sec and Q say's that

blah :D

Kingsly
Oct 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
Rule revision: The maximum is exactly and precisely 30 seconds, plus or minus a reasonable fudge factor. Five seconds is reasonable. :)
Thanks Doctor! :D

Anyone have insights into a good compression setting?

EDIT: 6.7 MB... and its taking fo-evar to upload! :o

hob
Oct 20, 2006, 09:58 PM
That's funny. I'm re-editing the piece I submitted. It was originally for a uni project I did over the summer, which had to be 30 seconds long. The point being that you learn to work to a set criteria.

I was like *YES!* i can finally use the 32 second mix I did, and add the apple logo for a bit longer, but now I feel I should leave it at 30!

decksnap
Oct 21, 2006, 04:14 PM
i'm having problems uploading - it uploads and takes me back to the choose upload window?

.Mov file 8.4mb

Help:o

I'm having the same issue... it just stops or times out or something and refreshes the upload page. Any idea how to solve?

decksnap
Oct 21, 2006, 08:16 PM
Nobody else is having this problem? It worked fine for me previously. Now, my activity monitor shows the entire thing get uploaded, then it just refreshes the upload page. Any ideas at all?

cleanup
Oct 22, 2006, 03:58 AM
How can we observe how many posts are left before we reach 3,000,000? I want to know approximately how much time I have left to work on my entry. :)

liketom
Oct 22, 2006, 04:03 AM
Nobody else is having this problem? It worked fine for me previously. Now, my activity monitor shows the entire thing get uploaded, then it just refreshes the upload page. Any ideas at all?
i have to problem on H.264 Mov files - so i had to either use Mp4 without H.264 or convert to m4v format

it uploads fine then - but with all of my movies Mp4 add's the text extension to the end (dummy.Mp4.txt)

iMeowbot
Oct 22, 2006, 05:06 AM
How can we observe how many posts are left before we reach 3,000,000? I want to know approximately how much time I have left to work on my entry. :)
Try the Forum Spy. When you hover over the most recent post, it will show you the latest number (within a few) in the status bar.

decksnap
Oct 22, 2006, 10:14 AM
i have to problem on H.264 Mov files - so i had to either use Mp4 without H.264 or convert to m4v format

it uploads fine then - but with all of my movies Mp4 add's the text extension to the end (dummy.Mp4.txt)

My previous entry was an .h264 wrapped in mov, and it went up fine. I wonder if there is some other restriction? This file is about 11mb, 720x480 h264 mov. I hope it's not a dimension thing, because it looks horrible if I scale it.

Kingsly
Oct 22, 2006, 11:39 AM
Try the Forum Spy. When you hover over the most recent post, it will show you the latest number (within a few) in the status bar.
Could you just tell us? I tried spy and it didn't work.

iMeowbot
Oct 22, 2006, 11:44 AM
Could you just tell us? I tried spy and it didn't work.
What I mean is, the URL for newest article contains the article number. As I write this, the newest article is http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2968635#post2968635 which means, the post count is 2968635. You could use the regular New Post link the same way, just look at the number in the newest. This is only approximate because things like s00per s3krit demi forum spam won't show up for mortals (numbers will be the same, but some numbers will be apparently skipped).

Knox
Oct 23, 2006, 06:47 AM
My previous entry was an .h264 wrapped in mov, and it went up fine. I wonder if there is some other restriction? This file is about 11mb, 720x480 h264 mov. I hope it's not a dimension thing, because it looks horrible if I scale it.

The upload page doesn't do any processing or checking other than the file size (15MB) and filename so it shouldn't care about the actual encoding or dimensions.

If you are having problems uploading and it fails more than once, the first thing to try would be a different browser, and if possible, a different connection. If all else fails you can upload it to somewhere like www.yousendit.com, PM me the link and I'll upload it for you. (Obviously only do this if you've tried and failed to upload normally :))

decksnap
Oct 23, 2006, 08:02 AM
The upload page doesn't do any processing or checking other than the file size (15MB) and filename so it shouldn't care about the actual encoding or dimensions.

If you are having problems uploading and it fails more than once, the first thing to try would be a different browser, and if possible, a different connection. If all else fails you can upload it to somewhere like www.yousendit.com, PM me the link and I'll upload it for you. (Obviously only do this if you've tried and failed to upload normally :))

Thanks Knox. I did try different browsers, settings, etc. I have posted a link to the video in my other video thread. If you could create a real thread and all that for it, that would be great!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=244463

vniow
Oct 30, 2006, 02:20 PM
Ooh, we're getting close. 2,999,006 as of this post.

Looks like this'll happen within a few days.

bigandy
Oct 30, 2006, 02:49 PM
Ooh, we're getting close. 2,999,006 as of this post.

Looks like this'll happen within a few days.

a few days???!!?

with mad jew around, surely it'll happen before the day is out (3hrs for me)... :rolleyes:

decksnap
Oct 30, 2006, 06:20 PM
It looks like the 3,000,000th post will happen somewhere in the next few minutes. Unless I can't read.

monke
Oct 30, 2006, 06:22 PM
It looks like the 3,000,000th post will happen somewhere in the next few minutes. Unless I can't read.

Within about 40 posts. :eek:

Does this mean the contest will end?

Doctor Q
Oct 30, 2006, 06:38 PM
The 3,000,000 Post Apple Advertisement Contest is now closed to new submissions. See news story (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061030193510.shtml).

We'll survey all contest entries, verify qualifications, and announce when voting for finalists will begin.

Doctor Q
Oct 31, 2006, 06:02 PM
You can now vote for Best Apple Print Ad and Best Apple Video Ad. There were 90 eligible entries in the contest (70 print ads, 20 video ads).

First round:There are 12 polls, 8 for Best Apple Print Ad and 4 for Best Apple Video Ad. You may vote for one entry in each poll: Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #1
Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #2
Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #3
Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #4
Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #5
Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #6
Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #7
Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #8

Best Apple Video Ad: Pool #1
Best Apple Video Ad: Pool #2
Best Apple Video Ad: Pool #3
Best Apple Video Ad: Pool #4
These polls will be open through the night of Wednesday November 1 (closing at midnight EST). The poll assignments were made randomly, except that we kept entries by a single member in separate polls where possible.

Note that some of the contest entries are multi-megabyte files, so you have to be patient to let them download.
Best Apple Print Ad semi-finals:Based on vote counts, the top two entries in each Best Apple Print Ad first-round poll will advance to the semi-final round. These 4 semi-final polls will be open Thursday November 2 until midnight EST.
Best Apple Video Ad finals:Based on vote counts, the top entry in each Best Apple Video Ad first-round poll will advance to the finals. This Best Apple Video Ad final poll will be open Thursday November 2 and Friday November 3 until midnight EST. The winner will be determined by that poll.
Best Apple Print Ad finals:Based on vote counts, the top entry in each Best Apple Print Ad semi-final poll will advance to the finals. This Best Apple Print Ad final poll will be open Friday November 3 until midnight EST. The winner will be determined by that poll.
All active members are eligible to vote once in each poll in each round. Please make your choices based on creativeness, craftsmanship, realism compared to real Apple ads, humor, etc., rather than based on personal popularity, member status, or other factors not related to the contest entry. Refer to the contest rules for details.

If we've made errors, such as mis-associating member names with contest entries, please send me a Private Message. Also PM me if you have questions about eligibility or other issues related to this phase of the contest. Note that each ad was given a title based on the ad content or a name assigned by its author, although a few were shortened.

We are very impressed by the inventiveness of our members, the sense of humor and fun that many have shown, and the professional qualify of some of the ads. Thanks to all who participated, and good luck in the contest!

decksnap
Oct 31, 2006, 07:47 PM
Forgive my stupidity... I don't even know how to PM...:o

But is there any way you can add my other entry to the contest? I could never get it to upload through the system so I linked to it from my first entry. (See my other posts in this thread).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=244463

vniow
Oct 31, 2006, 07:55 PM
You may vote for one entry in each poll: Best Apple Print Ad: Pool #1

Pool?

WildCowboy
Oct 31, 2006, 07:57 PM
Pool?

Pools, like groups...like "pool play" in international sporting tournaments. But these pools have polls associated with them.

Confusing? Yes. :D

Doctor Q
Oct 31, 2006, 10:52 PM
Forgive my stupidity... I don't even know how to PM...:o

But is there any way you can add my other entry to the contest? I could never get it to upload through the system so I linked to it from my first entry. (See my other posts in this thread).Your other ad is a good one, but I don't think it would be fair to others if we didn't follow the eligibility rules now that the contest entry period is over. It's too bad that it wasn't submitted successfully. I hope people take a look at it anyway.

Tip: If you ever want to send a Private Message to a specific administrator or moderator, you can click one of the SendPM buttons on the Show Groups page (http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php). You can also contact "the next available moderator" to report a problem by clicking the Report Bad Post icon http://forums.macrumors.com/images/buttons/report.gif next to any post.

decksnap
Nov 1, 2006, 07:46 AM
OK. No worries. I did post it like a week ago though. It's just that the upload feature was broken, so I had to host it elsewhere.

Doctor Q
Nov 1, 2006, 11:04 PM
The first-round polls are now closed. Congratulations to those who will move on to the next rounds, and thanks to everyone who participated.

The next round of polls will be prepared for the voting on Thursday and Friday.

Doctor Q
Nov 2, 2006, 03:07 PM
Five new polls are now open. Please vote once in each:Best Apple Print Ad Semi-Final #1
Best Apple Print Ad Semi-Final #2
Best Apple Print Ad Semi-Final #3
Best Apple Print Ad Semi-Final #4

Best Apple Video Ad Run-OffWe decided to add a run-off for the Best Apple Video Ad contest because of the unusual circumstances in the results in the Best Apple Video Ad first-round pools, based on our rule that each contestant is allowed only one entry in the finals. Where a member won more than one pool, our intent was to have their top-voted entry move to the finals. However, in one pool that resulted in the pool being "won" by the entry with the third-highest vote count, even though 3 entries in other pools got more votes. Although each pool was to be independent, this might not be considered fair, but neither would omitting that entry in favor of the 2nd-place finisher from another pool.

Therefore, after much discussion among the moderators, we added the run-off, and its winner will move to the finals against entries by the pool winners: Kingsly, decksnap, and spicyapple.

To accommodate the run-off, and because it took the moderators some time to discuss and set up the run-off, we are extending the schedule. The semi-finals of the Best Print Ad contest and the run-off for the Best Video Ad contest will run through the end of Sunday, November 5. The finals of both contests will start next Monday November 6.

liketom
Nov 2, 2006, 05:50 PM
which spicyapple vid got through?
i liked them both :cool:

Doctor Q
Nov 2, 2006, 06:00 PM
which spicyapple vid got through?The entries with the most votes will go to the finals. For spicyapple, that was "Together/Kiss". For Kingsly, it was "Best Of". decksnap's entry is named "Break Down, Baby".

spicyapple
Nov 2, 2006, 07:30 PM
We decided to add a run-off for the Best Apple Video Ad contest because of the unusual circumstances in the results in the Best Apple Video Ad first-round pools, based on our rule that each contestant is allowed only one entry in the finals.
Actually, may I have a say which of my two pool winning videos makes it to the finals? I prefer generations over together/kiss because even though the latter got more votes, it was either a) a very strong entry, or b) the rest were weaker (as compared to overall entries).

The generations video had tougher competition against kingsly's Go Pro entry, so it had fewer votes. It's unfortunate my two entries weren't switched in the pools.

ps. the winner in this pool (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=247471) didn't make it into the semi-finals? :confused: Are the ad final and video final considered one or two separate entities?

Whatever the mods decide, this contest is fun and good luck to all finalists. :)

Doctor Q
Nov 2, 2006, 07:56 PM
Actually, may I have a say which of my two pool winning videos makes it to the finals?We'll be glad to discuss that question, since it's true that one shouldn't assume that all pools were equal. We didn't want to put you in the hotseat position of deciding (as a result of your preference) which other members would advance; the moderators should be the ones to take the heat for their decisions about that.

ps. the winner in this pool (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=247471) didn't make it into the semi-finals? :confused: Are the ad final and video final considered one or two separate entities?The two contests are independent except for the rule about one finalist per member. That's to allow the maximum number of members to be in the finals, even where we see a single member has talent well beyond average. I hope everyone noticed your generations (http://att.macrumors.com/contest/50F1FE.jpg) Print Ad and appreciated it.

spicyapple
Nov 2, 2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I figured I'd up my odds. :)

liketom
Nov 3, 2006, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I figured I'd up my odds. :)

i'd think you and Kingsly will get a good metion at the end of the voting for excellent work :cool:

generations vid is still stuck in my head :D

good luck to all though all was excellent entrys

Doctor Q
Nov 3, 2006, 02:21 PM
We have added one more run-off:Best Apple Video Ad: spicyapple Run-Offto determine which entry by spicyapple will be in the finals, since both won their first-round pools but only one can advance to the finals.

Please vote in that poll as well as in the previously announced polls:Best Apple Print Ad Semi-Final #1
Best Apple Print Ad Semi-Final #2
Best Apple Print Ad Semi-Final #3
Best Apple Print Ad Semi-Final #4

Best Apple Video Ad Run-OffAll 6 polls will run through the end of Sunday, November 5. The finals of both contests will start next Monday November 6.

monke
Nov 5, 2006, 11:39 PM
Unless I am mistaken, or read wrong, shouldn't the polls have ended 39 minutes ago. :confused:

WildCowboy
Nov 5, 2006, 11:43 PM
Unless I am mistaken, or read wrong, shouldn't the polls have ended 39 minutes ago. :confused:

The polls are closed...don't know when it happened though. Doctor Q is pretty good about keeping track of these sorts of things.

monke
Nov 5, 2006, 11:47 PM
The polls are closed...don't know when it happened though. Doctor Q is pretty good about keeping track of these sorts of things.

Oops didn't notice. Usually Q has an update for us within a few seconds of the event, not this time though. :mad: :p

Woah just noticed we have a tie, (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=248064) what happens now?

Doctor Q
Nov 6, 2006, 01:22 AM
We have our finalists, including two entries from one semi-final because of a tie.

Please vote in the final rounds of our contest:Best Apple Print Ad Finals
Best Apple Video Ad FinalsThese final two polls will run through the end of Wednesday, November 8.

liketom
Nov 6, 2006, 01:57 AM
congrats to dpaanlka for making the final:)

with me coming 2nd in the run off does that mean i came 5th overall;)

:cool:

Doctor Q
Nov 6, 2006, 02:18 AM
with me coming 2nd in the run off does that mean i came 5th overall;)Seems like it.

If we rank contest entries rather than contestants, then, depending on how you count, it might also be spicyapple's Together/Kiss or Kingsly's Go Pro.

TheMonarch
Nov 6, 2006, 03:38 AM
Awe damn. I missed this contest. :(

I know submissions are closed and stuff, but can I post mine somewhere just for the hell of it?

:o

Doctor Q
Nov 6, 2006, 11:48 AM
I know submissions are closed and stuff, but can I post mine somewhere just for the hell of it?Sure, start a thread in this forum for it. The contest submission system is closed, but you can attach the file (if small enough) or post it elsewhere and link to it.

TheMonarch
Nov 6, 2006, 01:53 PM
Sure, start a thread in this forum for it. The contest submission system is closed, but you can attach the file (if small enough) or post it elsewhere and link to it.

For anyone interested, this is what my submission would have been: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=249477

Kingsly
Nov 8, 2006, 11:12 PM
Congratulations spicyapple, ATD and everyone else who participated in the event! :)

ATD
Nov 8, 2006, 11:42 PM
Congratulations spicyapple and Kingsly. What a great race!

arn
Nov 8, 2006, 11:44 PM
we'll post the final results summary in the morning with a gallery... once we get everything in place.

arn