Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
A friend of mine is looking to buy a tablet to do some graphics work. More for learning than anything else. Looking for the best available, for under $100 if possible. She already has Photoshop and some other programs... just needs the hardware to do "serious" work.

Thanks,
YzedF

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I have Wacom Intuos (6x8) and I recommend it highly. New one, Intuos 2 (6x8), is around $350, but you might be able to find used one somewhere for less. I purchased mine about 4 years ago while working at advertising agency and still works perfectly and Wacom's latest driver software still supports older models as well.

I wouldn't recommend Graphire if you or your friend plan on doing a lot of work with Photoshop. Graphire's drawing area is quite small (3.65x5 versus 6x8 on Intuos) and not as comfortable to use for serious work. It is cheaper though.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
If its for learning and just general imaging, the graphire is a great choice, we have them at the computer labs and they do the job. If she's a pro or very serious about her work, the intous is the only way to go, but the graphire is a fine tablet, infact i plan to buy one just for touching up photo's, some work in fireworks and other odd things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.