PDA

View Full Version : iMac cd burner dodge

mmmdreg
Apr 13, 2003, 09:05 AM
My burner has issues...part-way through burning a cd, it ALWAYS fails..it used to only do so when it was max speed and heaps of other programs running...now on 1x with nothing running, it cant burn a cd...this is a g3 600mhz imac...take it to apple?

iGav
Apr 13, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
My burner has issues...part-way through burning a cd, it ALWAYS fails..it used to only do so when it was max speed and heaps of other programs running...now on 1x with nothing running, it cant burn a cd...this is a g3 600mhz imac...take it to apple?

In situations like this, I personally try everything I can think of, (such as a quality CD-ROM/DVD lens cleaner disc) and it it still doesn't work then I erase and reinstall my OS (pain yes, but atleast it gives total piece of mind) and if it still does it after a clean reinstall then it's likely to be a hardware issue....

My SuperDrive in my PowerBook needed replacing a few weeks ago, and that had demonstrated slight quirks since new, where by within 2 months, it'd keep ejecting a disc everytime one was inserted! I noticed a pattern with the fault too so that made it easier to diagnose over the phone to the Tech at Apple!

If you've done the whole software check, try a decent lens cleaner disc, and if that fails to make it work, try a OS erase and reinstall.....

Failing that give Apple a call if you've got Applecare... if not, you could always fit one yourself....! ;)

Good luck though! hope you manage to get it sorted!! :)

G