Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2003
Chicago
I am sorry if this isn't a MAC question. I have a brand new Mac thanks to all your advice. I was in the process of switching over; many important things were still on my Dell so I couldn't fully use my Mac without getting everything on it. I have had nothing but problems with my Dell from crashes to loud beeps when it starts up. My husband was saying it was because I installed some weird downloads (Arabic fonts that didn't work on it anyway). Anyway, today when I woke up I went to use my Dell and the WHOLE ENTIRE HARDDRIVE, ALL EMAILS, ALL MS WORD PRODUCTS WERE ERASED! tHIS IS so weird, its just like I restored the drive. Does anyone know why this would happen? Is it a person who did this or a virus? I am a little angry!

I guess the irony in all this is that I was waiting to use my Mac but now I must switch over immediately!:eek: :eek:

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2001
NY
Okay, well it could be a hacker, but I doubt it, most likely it was some sort of virus, now, if you kept backups of all your info, then you would probaly not be posting. I am a Windows user, and I have encountered many problems, and this is one of them. It depends, maybe the virus could have just hided the files, or it erased them. If you have Norton Protection, then you might be able to recover some of the files, otherwise, you are screwed. Now, if those files are really, really important, you do have one more option, you can go to someone like drive savers to save your data, becasue in a hard drive, you can recover the data, as long as it has not been overwritten, so don't write any files to the drive. Also, if you have a virus scan on yuor Mac, scan it, becasue the virus on the PC could have carried over to your mac, now, it will probaly not affect your mac, but it can attach itself to an e-mail attachment, and it can be sent to another PC. So, check it out, hope I helped, Good Luck

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by MacManiac1224
if you kept backups of all your info, then you would probaly not be posting.

HAHA, so true but I loe the way u worked that in. MacManiac good advice. After my irst iBook crash i decided to backup once a week and its the strnagest thing but whenever i get into the habit of doing that it seems lik nothing crashes.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
HAHA, so true but I loe the way u worked that in. MacManiac good advice. After my irst iBook crash i decided to backup once a week and its the strnagest thing but whenever i get into the habit of doing that it seems lik nothing crashes.

i know what u mean, i backup my music and my err movies (coughcoughdivxcoughcough) once a week to cd-r's, i wish i had a dvd burner :D

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by MacManiac1224
Also, if you have a virus scan on yuor Mac, scan it, becasue the virus on the PC could have carried over to your mac, now, it will probaly not affect your mac, but it can attach itself to an e-mail attachment, and it can be sent to another PC.
pc viruses can't do anything to a mac. there is a possibility of passing the virus on to other pc users, but no risk of damaging the mac. i'm not sure if mac virus software (seems kind of pointless to me) picks up on pc viruses but it may.

does the drive actually mount and boot into windows, or do you just get some kind of bios message telling you that it can't find the hard drive? my sister had the same problem on her pc and it was just a matter of the hard drive failing.

Caddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2003
Chicago
Funny but everything is still intact; when I turn on my PC even my name pops up where it usually did. My comcast connection is still working fine. My browser, however, is set anew. Toolbar blank, nothing in history. Outlook Express, not a thing. All documents are gone. I am just wondering how this happened.

Do you think this will affect its ability (is it a damaged computer now>) I ask because it is for sale on ebay, don't want to screw anyone! Is the virus gone?

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
user profile

Maybe you're just logged in as a different user somehow? Maybe the Mac software to help switch over did this just to make sure you wouldn't go back (haha...)

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
as long as you zero the drive (completely wipe everything out from a startup-cd) it should not have any virus problems. i'm tempted to believe that the files are on there somewhere since the rest of the os seems to be intact, but i'm not that experienced with windows so i'm not sure exaclty how to go about looking for them.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
if the drive is formattd in FAT32 then you can pop it in a powermac (or an external HDD case and then plug it into the emac/imac/ibook/powerbook) and it will see everything.

this happened to a freidn of mine under Win98SE. He gave me the HDD, i popped it in my mac and i could see everything. also the virus that he had on his system did not affect mine one bit. Hey, my mac even copied the infected files with no problems. I then burnt it to a dvd for him.

but, yeah. try the disk in a mac or any unix/linux machine. If yo can then see the files then you know that they were just hidden. other wise follow the advice given by JesseJames.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.