Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sspitsbergen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Farmington Hills, MI
I am at a complete loss. I used to consider myself fairly intelligent, or I have stumbled across a major user enhancement opportunity.

I am trying to publish a web page using my .mac site. I write a file in html. Why can't I simply copy the file in the finder (or in dreaded windows explorer) to the sites folder and have it accessable under my homepage.mac.com site.

It seems to me this is a simple answer, or should be, and I cannot do something most 12 years are doing on a daily basis.

Help, my keyboard can't take much more beating.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
you're making sure to copy it to the Sites folder on your iDisk, not the Sites folder on your computer, right? because the one on your computer ("local") is just for web sharing from your computer...

pnw

sspitsbergen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Farmington Hills, MI
Originally posted by edesignuk
The document you want displayed when someone visits http://homepage.mac.com/dotmacname must be called index.html.

Right, I got that one, you can see the index.html page. But when I try to insert other pages into my sites folder, can't do it.

Originally posted by paulwhannel you're making sure to copy it to the Sites folder on your iDisk, not the Sites folder on your computer, right? because the one on your computer ("local") is just for web sharing from your computer...

and I am sure it is on the Sites on my idisk. I know this since I can get to it from my windoze machine at work. I would think that I could type http://homepage.mac.com/sspitsbergen/album_list.htm and see the file, and this hasn't happened.

Thanks for those clarifying questions.

MPTV-Ti

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by sspitsbergen
Right, I got that one, you can see the index.html page. But when I try to insert other pages into my sites folder, can't do it.

and I am sure it is on the Sites on my idisk. I know this since I can get to it from my windoze machine at work. I would think that I could type http://homepage.mac.com/sspitsbergen/album_list.htm and see the file, and this hasn't happened.

Thanks for those clarifying questions.

i think your problem might be you are naming them *.htm instead of *.html this may not be your problem, but I use *.html all the time and it works fine

(from Apples .Mac site: When you drop an HTML page directly into your iDisk Sites folder, the URL to view that page is homepage.mac.com/yourmembername/pagename.html. Drop the page into a folder within the Sites folder and the URL is homepage.mac.com/yourmembername/foldername/pagename.html. Just make sure the filename has no spaces and it ends in ".html." )

sspitsbergen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Farmington Hills, MI
thanks- but html vs htm doesn't seem to matter, ( and I agree it shouldn't).

Ok, I thought I was doing it properly. I will now yell at Apple tech support for a while.

MPTV-Ti

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
San Francisco, CA
although

well, glad you fixed your problem! however, i'm going to have to beg to differ with that- because i am using both docs i've created with flash and dreamweaver along side some photo albums created by apples "homepage templates" but... anyway, i'm glad you got your pages up and running :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.