PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Cards for Cubes?

kiwi_the_iwik
Feb 24, 2002, 08:34 AM
OK all you Tekkies - I need a bit of help...

I'm trying to determine whether the new GeForce 4 cards (or even the GeForce 3, for that matter) will fit inside my Cube. After reading a report on www.cube-zone.com I saw that someone put in a GeForce 3 in their Cube, but www.xlr8yourmac.com has no benchmarks. Considering that these cards are EASIER to get than a Radeon Cube, they might be an alternative. Bearing in mind, a GeForce 2 MX from a G4 Tower WILL fit inside the Cube, after swapping the mounting plates with your existing card, that is...

(see: http://w1.404.telia.com/%7Eu40423130/geforce/ for more details on how this works...)

Also, it would be nice to find out if these cards are "backwards-compatible" - if it actually matters if the card is rated for a 4x AGP slot rather than the Cube's 2x AGP slot.

Any ideas?

Cheers, folks!

mymemory
Feb 24, 2002, 09:57 AM
Beleive it or not I was working on that last friday. Some one wants to sell me a Cube, I'm a VJ so it is important for me to have a nice look of machines on stage.

Well, the problem with the Cube is that I can not have an independent video signal coming out of the unit beside the main monitor. I need a S-VHS output to connect the video beams. So, there was this video card, I guess was the radeon that came with a S-VHS out put togather with the VGA and the Flast Screen stuff. The problem is that undet the Cube there is not room for the S-VHS connector, the little aberture is not wide enough to hold 3 different connectors. The only way would be to do some custom (job i think) and cut the chasis.

If any body know another way to get an estra video signal from a Cube let me know.

kiwi_the_iwik
Feb 24, 2002, 11:10 AM
I think that something like the Firewire-based Formac Studio might help - if you want to send a video signal from the Cube to a monitor, it has it's own Monitor Out and S-Video jacks.

You could try Eskapelab's MyVideo, which is a USB-based video-out unit (good for watching DVD's on a big screen!), and I believe that has an S-Video jack.

If you want to try this, then get a Mini-DV player/deck and connect it to your Mac via Firewire. Then, you can send any video out to a monitor via the Mini-DV deck using iMovie 2, or FCP, etc.

Lastly, if we CAN in fact use the GeForce 4 card, then your prayers are answered: I think it has an S-Video jack as standard...

...correct me if I'm wrong!

narf
Feb 24, 2002, 02:39 PM
my parents want to purchase a G4 400 because they cannot afford a new imac. The G4 is only 800 with monitor. It has a dvd rom. But they want to be able to use it on their tv too, instead of getting a separate dvd player. But the G4 has an ati Rage 128 with a VGA connector and a DVI connector(no s-video). They dont want to spend another 100 dollars for a radeon with s-video. And they dont want to have some external doodad like those usb tv things. Are there any adapters to convert the vga or dvi to s-video????

kiwi_the_iwik
Mar 9, 2002, 02:58 PM
By the time you'd put all the adaptors required on the VGA port of your card (which won't be able to send anything anyway, because your graphics card is already driving your monitor), your parents would have been better off buying a USB device, such as the Eskapelabs MyVideo, etc... as mentioned in my above reply.

Have you considered buying a cheap PCI graphics card - complete with an S-Video connection - made for PC's, and then "flashing" it so that it works on your Mac? That way, you can have a dedicated S-Video port out of your computer. Go to www.ebay.com and look thru the lists of cards available, but check out www.xlr8yourmac.com for info of what cards can be successfully "flashed", and where you can obtain the drivers.

Meanwhile - my questions still stand...

1. CAN I USE A GEFORCE 3 or 4 IN MY CUBE?

2. CAN A 4x AGP CARD WORK IN A 2x AGP SLOT?

Cheers!

mymemory
Mar 9, 2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik

Meanwhile - my questions still stand...

1. CAN I USE A GEFORCE 3 or 4 IN MY CUBE?

2. CAN A 4x AGP CARD WORK IN A 2x AGP SLOT?

Cheers!

I do not know! :)

fragiledreams
Mar 9, 2002, 04:00 PM
About the agp 4 question....

From what I know most of the AGP 4 cards are also AGPx2 compatible.... Now if a graphics card states just AGPx4... then it will probably wont work with AGPx2