PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Apple Discipleship

MacBytes
Oct 18, 2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The Cost of Apple Discipleship (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061018225144)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

cwt1nospam
Oct 18, 2006, 09:57 PM
Most PC buyers only get PCs because that's all they know about. Even today, with all the news stories about Apple, I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who haven't even heard about the Mac. When they do know they have a choice, people choose the Mac, and for good reason.

PlaceofDis
Oct 18, 2006, 10:01 PM
except no, these aren't items that everyone will buy.

some of us will buy all. some will only buy a few of the items.
but none, not one of these items is essential.

i don't even have an intel machine, so why would i need Windows for boot camp? and many have an external drive as it is. and not everyone wants/need a shuffle either.

blah. assumptions.

MrSmith
Oct 18, 2006, 10:54 PM
Apple has something called the AppleCare Protection Plan - a fancy name for a three year warranty. Iím always cynical when I see extended warranties. If the product is good enough, why only give it a twelve month warranty? Why not give it a three year warranty outright? Looks a bit like profiteering from where I sit. Otherwise itís an admission that the product wonít last three years without failure of some sort. Why spend good money on a computer that the vendor is betting will be having problems by three years of age? If youíre going to have trouble anyway, why not just buy a cheap computer? No wonder people choose cheap PCs over Macs.

You could argue this for any product that doesn't have a warranty lasting as long as you'd like. And how does this mean PCs are a better buy? He's basically saying Macs are only covered for a year therefore you may as well buy a crap PC that you can be more sure will break within the year. Yeah, that makes sense.

...in an interview with NBC, Steve didnít seem at all concerned about the idea of people buying a new iPod every year, saying ďYou know, you keep on innovating, you keep on making better stuff. And if you always want the latest and greatest, then you have to buy a new iPod at least once a year.Ē Try as I might, I canít read anywhere between the lines that that bothers him.
We have a choice, of course, but I do have some sympathy with this point of view. As technological advance relentlessly spurs on consumerism it's nice to look back when buying something meant we could use it until it stopped working, without any idea of obsolescence.

.mac: However, I do agree that itís no longer justifiable to charge for it. Maybe the first time, but an annual subscription is just milking us.
What about running costs? Ever-increasing disk space costs?

My 2p. That has to be one of the least persuasive articles I've read.

Analog Kid
Oct 18, 2006, 11:01 PM
I agree the extended warranty is dumb, but to pin it on Apple seems a little disingenuous... Dell has the same 1 year standard product warranty.

The rest of the article is just bizarre. Totaling up all the money you could spend? Isn't that like saying, "You might think that Dell was cheap, but you might want to spend another $500 on a graphics card for high end gaming-- what do you think now?"

Complaining about buying Windows for your Mac?? Er...

Oh, and a word to those who might think, "Yeah! Leopard is going to be expensive, especially after I buy a hard drive for TimeMachine!"-- if you aren't already spending $100 to protect your data now, then you're probably losing something somewhere...

Analog Kid
Oct 18, 2006, 11:09 PM
As technological advance relentlessly spurs on consumerism it's nice to look back when buying something meant we could use it until it stopped working, without any idea of obsolescence.
This is the typical model for early adopters-- you get an imperfect product in exchange for having it early. It's just that now there are more early adopters in consumer electronics than there have been in the past.

Eventually, the mp3 player market will level off, prices will drop, innovation will slow dramatically, and the iPod you buy then won't be appreciably different from one you can buy 5 years later. They will become commodities eventually-- or they'll get integrated into phones (which will become commodities eventually).

parenthesis
Oct 18, 2006, 11:25 PM
Oh, and a word to those who might think, "Yeah! Leopard is going to be expensive, especially after I buy a hard drive for TimeMachine!"-- if you aren't already spending $100 to protect your data now, then you're probably losing something somewhere...

Plus, you don't HAVE to buy a hard drive to make Leopard work. You can always partition if you really want TimeMachine.

A is jump
Oct 19, 2006, 01:24 AM
"Apple has something called the AppleCare Protection Plan - a fancy name for a three year warranty. I’m always cynical when I see extended warranties. If the product is good enough, why only give it a twelve month warranty? Why not give it a three year warranty outright? Looks a bit like profiteering from where I sit. Otherwise it’s an admission that the product won’t last three years without failure of some sort. Why spend good money on a computer that the vendor is betting will be having problems by three years of age? If you’re going to have trouble anyway, why not just buy a cheap computer? No wonder people choose cheap PCs over Macs."

um... yet they consistantly top the consumer reports reliability and customer service surveys.
funny thing is, I bought the applecare for my powermac G5 and my powerbook... yet, I've never actually needed it, any problems I've had would have been covered by the original warranty... and werent really problems with the computers as much as registering them, or having questions with setup. I'd almost consider not even bothering with applecare, if I didnt like the comfort of having it.
And honestly, it doesnt bother me at all to pay that extra amount for Customer support that is Second to none. I've watched my parents and siblings wait on telephones for almost an hour for Dell or gateway customer support, whether its customer support for computers, software, or even checking on the shipping status of an order, I've NEVER waited more than 5 minutes for apple. No wonder people dont mind paying for their Apple computers.

A is jump
Oct 19, 2006, 01:27 AM
Posted twice... sorry

MrSmith
Oct 19, 2006, 01:28 AM
Like shouting in the Alps :D

steve_hill4
Oct 19, 2006, 03:36 AM
You could argue this for any product that doesn't have a warranty lasting as long as you'd like. And how does this mean PCs are a better buy? He's basically saying Macs are only covered for a year therefore you may as well buy a crap PC that you can be more sure will break within the year. Yeah, that makes sense.
What the writer is trying to argue, badly, is that if you are only getting a years warranty and it could break just after the year, you might as well go out and buy a cheaper, less-well-built PC for less with the same warranty. If you don't get any more warranty, there is no guarantee from the manufacturer that it will last any longer than machines with similar warranties.

Since Apple scores higher in reliability than most others, this negates the argument. However, if someone who wasn't bothered about Macs or PCs was deciding between two laptops and decided eventually to buy the MacBook, (even though perception may have the MacBook having less for the same price), and it broke down after 13 months, they may think to themselves that this reliability from Apple is crap and go and buy the PC next time. I think that's kind of the point the writer is trying to make.

MacBoobsPro
Oct 19, 2006, 03:59 AM
So he/she is knocking Leopard but praising .Mac?

What a complete spanner!

Fender2112
Oct 19, 2006, 06:59 AM
It's a good thing this guy doesn't own a business. He'd go broke from giving away everything.

It may be true that a Mac user will purchase some or all of those items. But PC users will also buy similar items. Not to mention virus and spyware protection, which isn't optional for PC users.

As for Apple Care. Just about all consumer products have an optional "protection" plan that can be purchased. This is a huge cash cow. Manufactures know it. Retailers know it. Consumers know it. Why should Apple not take advantage of the situation?

SPUY767
Oct 19, 2006, 07:32 AM
The only people who buy any of that are people who A) can afford it, and B) Don't know any better. Why should this be Apple's problem when the consumer is none the wiser. I have had probably 30 Macs, never once bought an extended warranty, nor did I ever have a problem. A dollar worth of prevention is worth a grand of cure.

gerardrj
Oct 19, 2006, 11:07 AM
Between this lousy article and one the other day by that Larry marketing guy, I'm wondering where the critical thinking skills are in the school system today.

I thought the arguments by Larry were the most idiotic thing I've ever read, now I wake up this morning and see this article by Chris and posted, of all places, on a Mac web site.

I really don't want to get in to counterpointing what he wrote, we all know he's just trying to make a name for himself, perhaps the next Enderel?

PLEASE! I implore you, Mac bashing writers, proof read your articles, have someone else read it for errors, content, tone and overall intelligence. If your going to bash our platform, at least do it with style and with valid arguments not common to all computing platforms.

IJ Reilly
Oct 19, 2006, 11:29 AM
On this one hopefully Appleís acknowledgment of the problem means batteries in subsequent shuffles will have a much longer life.

Grammar Police, feet back and spread 'em!

MrSmith
Oct 19, 2006, 11:33 AM
IJ, your signature explains why I've got man boobs. :D

SC68Cal
Oct 19, 2006, 11:37 AM
I was agreeing with the Author right up until he claimed that .Mac was NOT a waste of money.

Give me a break. Biggest money pit/ripoff in the world is dotMac. Nobody even comes close to that kind of fleecing.

aranhamo
Oct 19, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'll probably buy Leopard
- Leopard: $129

I already have three of these
- External HDD: $0

Why would I want this?
- Windows XP Home: $0

I'll buy this if they add a spreadsheet application, which will be well worth the money
- iWork 07: $79

I'll get this when I buy a new Mac. I've never seen a reason to pay to upgrade iLife
- iLife 07: $0

I'll probably upgrade to the Family Pack next year
- .Mac: $199

I have no use for an iPod.
- iPod: $0

$129 + $79 + $199 = $407

BUT, only half of that is a recurring charge (for .Mac). So probably the next time I give Apple any more money (other than .Mac) will be when I buy a new computer. And even if I were to buy a Windows PC, I wouldn't buy a cheap-o one because I'm a programmer and I like being near the bleeding edge (or as close as I can get on my budget).

So if I had a Windows PC, in 2007 I'd have to spend:
$259 for Vista Ultimate upgrade
$50 for antivirus (yearly)
$329 for Office professional 2007 upgrade

That's $638

There's probably more, but I've already blown way higher than my 2007 expenditures for my Mac, and I still haven't added the cost of a .Mac-like service or the hardware upgrades I'd probably need to run Vista.

Notice that Microsoft's upgrade prices are 2 or three times the cost of Apple's full-prices? iWork isn't quite comparable to Office, but still...

IJ Reilly
Oct 19, 2006, 12:02 PM
IJ, your signature explains why I've got man boobs. :D

Best laugh of the day, without a doubt, and it's only morning over here.

:D :D

shamino
Oct 25, 2006, 01:20 PM
So the summary of the article is:

"Apple is evil because they aren't giving away perpetual free upgrades for everything they sell".

I wonder if he's going to write a similar article slamming Microsoft. After all, they're going to charge $200-400 per copy of Vista (with no family pack licensing), some features are going to require hardware upgrades (more memory, more disk, faster video card), and Office 2007 won't be a free upgrade from Office 2003.

And if your Zune battery dies prematurely (but after the 90 day warrantee), you can bet that they won't be replaced for free either.