Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tienvijftien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
I am in the process of upgrading a 9600 on a limited budget. I keep an online blog - just started - to keep for myself the references and information that I find online available.

It might interest some of you, so I am posting the URL. Ninethousand Sixhunderd, or via my portal site 1015.

Cheers, 1015.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Do you have a question?

For your own interest, you might enjoy making a partition on your hard drive devoted to System 7, as it is fully compatible with your Radeon 7000, G4 processor, and RAM. Feel free to go to my site to get everything you'd need, including the drivers for the Radeon and the G4 under 7.6.1.

http://main.system7today.com/

System 7 running on an 800mhz G4 and with a Radeon 7000 powering the video is awfully fun to play around with. Some of the registered members of the forums at my site have similar set ups, including myself (500mhz G4 and Radeon 7000 in an 8600).

Tell me what you think...

tienvijftien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Thanx dpaanlka,
I will read your site with great interest. The plan was to have one drive (4gig) devoted to OS9, and one drive devoted to OSX, But I might start all the way back with System7 anyway. Its the platform I started with 13 years ago.
Thanx for replying.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
tienvijftien said:
Thanx dpaanlka,
I will read your site with great interest. The plan was to have one drive (4gig) devoted to OS9, and one drive devoted to OSX, But I might start all the way back with System7 anyway. Its the platform I started with 13 years ago.
Thanx for replying.

You'll sadly find OS X quite unreliable on a 9600.

If you wanted to build an OS X machine, you should go with at lowest a G4 AGP tower, which you can usually pick up on eBay.

A built up 9600 is great for OS 7, 8, and 9 though.

tienvijftien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
My real agenda is just bulding a reliable photoscanning & photobackup system. The current setup with Laptop & external drives is just not doing it.
And the challenge of course.
I'll see what I end up with, I'll go for dual boot anyhow.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I just read your PCI Alignment in the 9600 entry... and noticed that there was no mention of the fact that the bottom three PCI slots actually perform better than the top three. You may want to keep that in mind... specially when placing things like the video card.

Apple's strategy for PCI card placement in both the 9500 and 9600 series was to put the card that needed the most bandwidth in the bottom three slots followed by the card that required the second most bandwidth in the upper slots.

So if you have only a video card... you'd place it in one of the bottom slots. If you had an UltraSCSI card, that would go in the bottom set of slots while moving the video card to the top slots.

Of course today you would be more likely to use an UltraATA card than UltraSCSI, but the placement strategy would be the same.

tienvijftien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
OK, two weeks and a trip to China further ...

I have received the Sonnet Card - My OS Nine crashed, so I had to revert back to OS Eight (the only one I had lying around). Once that done, I installed the Sonnet and it went in one go. Scroching the (non-existing) carpet as it went along.

I need a tool to measure the speed bump. And I'll post any progress on the Ninethousand Sixhundred blog.

Next steps are
1. getting the machine back up to OS Nine.
2. Installing OSX and see how weel it runs.

I also managed to get another cheap 9600/233 as a spareparts machine. I'll pick it up this weekend, see what it gives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.