Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chazmox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
I was wondering if I could use my iPod as a portable storage hub for a Firewire equipped digital camera??? Does anyone know of any third party hackware that would allow me to download pictures from a camera to an iPod for temp storage... basically trying to save $ on Compact Flash...

Thanks!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
the only thing that can write data in/out of the iPod is the MacOS.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
well, yes and no.

you can use the iPod as a portable storage, but you would still have to connect the camera to a Mac and from the Mac to the iPod.

but i guess you have known that.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I might just mention, you do not need to have a Mac but you do have to have a computer in between. While Firewire supports the sending of data between non-computer items your camera would not know how to upload to the firewire drive (iPod)

xj9000

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002
iPod Harddrive

I remember reading somewhere that it is not good to use the iPod hard drive too much. People have managed to load the iPod with OS X and use it as their boot drive, but your battery life and hard drive will suffer for due to the activity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.