Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
All my apps (Reason, Pro Tools) are for OS X, and the 60 gigger in my TiBook is filling quickly. I don't even know if this is possible, and if its a major hassle, I most likely won't bother with it. Thanks for reading and helping a Mac newbie!

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, you can. Just delete "System Folder" from the root level of your hard drive and OS 9 is gone. You may also delete the "Applications (Mac OS 9): and "Shortcut to Desktop (Mac OS 9) folders. However, I believe that there are hidden OS 9 files on your hard drive, so go into Terminal and take a look at your root directory. Use the rmdir command to delete "Desktop Folder", which will get rid of the OS 9 desktop. Do this by typing rmdir "Desktop Folder". If that doesn't work type "sudo rmdir "Desktop Folder". (I don't want to try this on my own system to see which one works, I use OS 9 sometimes)

Not sure if there are any other significant parts of the OS 9 installation, but that should free up most of the space that OS 9 takes up (~400MB including apps that probably came with your computer if you have a full installation).

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by bluey
would it not be convenient if Apple produced a command or utility to remove all trace of OS9 ?

-bluey

They probably will, once they feel comfortable with the rate of adoption of OS X.

Until that point is reached, it simply wouldn't be cost effective to produce something like this.

My guess is that well see something like this along side of 10.6 or 10.7.

We got a few years yet.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
ibookin'@mwny - thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I dont know how to go about doing what you told me to....:eek:. I am such a noob to Mac I don't what I am really doing. In time I will learn, but I guess this is the only way to learn....Thanks in advance!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
it's my experience that removing OS 9 is not such a good idea; you never know when you'll find a classic app you'll need, or need to install something for OS X in classic. all in all, it's not like it takes up that much space. if you need more space, i'd recommend getting a FW hard drive or something.

i have the GHz Tibook myself; i'm waiting for some decent 80-100 GB 7200 rpm drives for laptops myself. they have to come sometime :D

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
Shadowfax -

Actually, I was thinking about this when I was mowing my yard moments ago. Why not just get a FW drive? Surely they can't be that expensive. Thanks for the help everyone, seriously. I think I'll start shopping around for a good external drive. Any ideas of the best place to get one?

(rockin handle by the way Shadowfax....)

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
firewire is great!

i just got the Lacie Firewire 120 gig HD and I recommend it, its sweet!
That will take care of all your needs for storage.

How about reformatting your drive to exclude OS9,
I think its possible that when you reinstall
you just dont install OS9.

I was thinking about doing this soon.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
os9 is dead

i haven't had OS9 in my PM for over a year and I wiped it from my PB when I first got it.

I don't use it, ever.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i just used OS 9 to save my X installation this weekend. OS 9/TechTool also were able to fix a problem with my iPod not mounting that DiskUtility could not fix. in both cases i would have had to nuke the HDD.

it's a good failsafe.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Until...

OS 9 is useful for a few reasons (besides running ancient apps)...

(a)It provides "uncensored" access to OS X system components (across all users and into hidden system folders) without having to use the terminal

(b)It is a very compact second OS in case OS X runs into trouble

(c)It allows for the use of older hardware (I still use a few devices that need OS 9 extentions--This may not be an issue with you)

(d)OS 9 is quite useful for routine maintainance on multi-user computers because it bypasses most of the permissions issues. (I know, this is a lot like (a)--Sorry)

If you don't need any of the above features, I think you're safe to delete it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
delete the system folder, and applications mac os 9 and your set, it wont clear out that much though, just depends how much is a lot of space to you.

iJon

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
I'm running into the same problem with my 10gig ibook, but I agree with coolsoldier completely. However, it seems to me that it wasn't the OS that took up so much space, rather it is the preloaded apps, games, and imovie tutorial.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
personally, music takes up about 1/3 of the used space on my hard drive... an iPod would be really helpful, heh. but then, i can't imagine an ipod would get me to take it off my powerbook....

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
mike, if you're not much of a fiddly/tech person and don't use OS 9 much anyway, then you might as well get rif of it. i've kept it installed for a while... and i haven't used in in about 6 months.

a FW external HD would be way better though...:D

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Re: Should I delete OS 9 from my powerbook?

Originally posted by Mike Teezie
All my apps (Reason, Pro Tools) are for OS X, and the 60 gigger in my TiBook is filling quickly. I don't even know if this is possible, and if its a major hassle, I most likely won't bother with it. Thanks for reading and helping a Mac newbie!

When I finally decided to get Cubase SX some two months ago (after being fed up with the crashes from Cubase 4.1 I just ran to the store and bought it), I reinstalled my mac without OS 9 and haven't missed it since.

Well maybe only when I wish Sounddiver would exist for OS X, but programming my synths without it isn't to bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.