Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
I found the 400D (Body only) for 719.00 at dell.com on sale. Just thought I would pass it on.

I was thinking about getting that, and spending the extra 200 or so bucks I save to get a decent lens. Any suggestions?

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I can vouch for the Tamron 19-35 (I actually have one for sale). I've taken some amazing shots with that lens. Great color, contrast and sharpness.

P.S. If you get a 20% off E&A coupon from ebay you can get that camera for $639.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Zeke said:
I can vouch for the Tamron 19-35 (I actually have one for sale). I've taken some amazing shots with that lens. Great color, contrast and sharpness.

P.S. If you get a 20% off E&A coupon from ebay you can get that camera for $639.

The EOS 400D kit w/ lens is only 809.00, with a 20% off I could get that for 650.00

NOT a bad deal at all. I just bought a new Macbook Pro, so I have to make a quick choice if I want to throw another 650.00 on my card.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
The 20% doesn't stack with the auto-10% off already in effect. So instead of 650 it'll be 720.

You can always buy the kit lens on ebay for $60 if you really want it instead of something else.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The kit lens is garbage.

As posted above, look at the 50mm f/1.8 -- it is one of the sharpest lenses on the market and it's less than $80!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
carletonmusic said:
The kit lens is garbage. . . . . . . .
Not wishing to offend, but comments such as this with no explanation or qualification (particularly in a forum) are, in my opinion, less than helpful and can set my teeth on edge!
They beg the obvious questions, why?, evidence?, authority? etc. etc. etc.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
John T said:
Not wishing to offend, but comments such as this with no explanation or qualification (particularly in a forum) are, in my opinion, less than helpful and can set my teeth on edge!
They beg the obvious questions, why?, evidence?, authority? etc. etc. etc.

I'd not say it's garbage but it is lacking in sharpness and contrast compared to almost any other Canon lense. In addition it does not have a focus scale on it, does not allow full manual focus whilts in one shot auto mode, it's plastic bodied, not all that fast, no IS...

Basically it's built to be a cheap throw-in that lets you take pictures but not much more. I upgraded mine to the EF-S 17-85 IS within 2 days of buying my 400D!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
robbieduncan said:
I'd not say it's garbage
Agreed!

but it is lacking in sharpness and contrast compared to almost any other Canon lense.
Provided it's not used beond it's capabilities, I'd query this - I've achieved some excellent results with this lens.

In addition it does not have a focus scale on it,
So? It is used on a SLR and it's not everyone who walks round with a tape measure in their pocket!!

does not allow full manual focus whilts in one shot auto mode,
I can't remember but I think mine did.

it's plastic bodied,
So what?!! So is the body of the 400D!!

not all that fast,
It's no slower than a lot of other lense.

Not everyone wants IS!

Basically it's built to be a cheap throw-in that lets you take pictures ...
Agreed! It's a "starter for ten" primarily for beginners. Experienced phographers when purchasing a camera usually buy the body only.

I always remember the words of a professional given to me many moons ago - "It's not the camera that makes a good photograph but the person who's using it!"

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
sorry to be so general, I assumed that most people agree about kit lenses.

The kit lens is definitely not a sharp as every other lens in Canon's lineup. It's a starter lens, aimed at letting you shoot right out of the box. But, most people upgrade within a few weeks. If you don't mind selling the kit lens, then go for it.

Many (most, all?) of the folks here on MR are particular enough about tech gear in some way to seek out a discussion forum (ie. if you're reading this, you care about your gear more than the average joe.) In my opinion, the kit lens doesn't meet the elevated standards of the MR crew. Just sayin...

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
The kit lens is good if you're starting out and aren't exactly sure what you like to shoot. You'd like to focus much, much closer on things? Macro lens. Wider angle? Wide angle lens. More reach? Telephoto lens.

It's not a well-built lens, and pictures will be soft until you're at f/8, but for it's price it's fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.