PDA

View Full Version : DV Camera Suggestions?

cashcows
Oct 19, 2006, 11:58 PM
I have a Sony Handcam about 3 years old right now...but I think I need a good new camera. I want to produce DVD's and Webcast (I am sure I could use the sony for the web cast) But for the DVD's I think I need a bit more high end.

I have been looking at the Canon GL2, anything else out there that I should consider?

I am going to be doing a lot of Green Screen Chroma Key work with it.

I want to stay under $2500

theWholeTruth
Oct 20, 2006, 12:11 AM
Canon XL-2, Sony DSR-PD170, Sony DSR-PD150, Sony DCR-VX2000 and VX 2100, Sony HVR-A1U (HDV) will all do the same as the the Canon GL-2. They will all yield mediocre pictures for keying. The HDV has the added benefit of greater resolution so you can zoom in without losing detail which can give the illusion of a 2-camera shoot.

You should be able to find all for your given price range. Cheaper if you can find them used. Go to bhphotovideo.com. You can buy all your gear from the same place.

cashcows
Oct 20, 2006, 01:00 AM
Canon XL-2, Sony DSR-PD170, Sony DSR-PD150, Sony DCR-VX2000 and VX 2100, Sony HVR-A1U (HDV) will all do the same as the the Canon GL-2. They will all yield mediocre pictures for keying. The HDV has the added benefit of greater resolution so you can zoom in without losing detail which can give the illusion of a 2-camera shoot.

You should be able to find all for your given price range. Cheaper if you can find them used. Go to bhphotovideo.com. You can buy all your gear from the same place.

Thanks again. How ever You listed so many but with no comments (except the HDV that I have no Idea why I would choose one over any of the others.

bhphotovideo.com seems really over priced from what I can tell I have found the Canon GL 2 for close $1500 new or a Kit loaded with everything from other online stores for hundreds less.

NTJetboater
Oct 20, 2006, 09:00 AM
for that money I would look at a canon XL 1S. It has excellent image stabilization, decent zoom and is easy to use.:)

Garden Knowm
Oct 20, 2006, 10:40 AM
Try to find a used Panasonic 100B.. It shoots 24P and it is industry standard for cable TV along with many many other $$$ paying jobs..

cheers

marioman38
Oct 26, 2006, 05:46 PM
Check Out The Sony VX2100 there awesome!

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DCRVX2100&Dept=cameras&CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders_MiniDVHandycamCamcorders

$2999 at sony

Can Be Found For Much Less At Other Online Stores...

$1349 at BestPriceCameras.com

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=192961&start=1

----------------

Also: The High-Def HDR-HC3

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=HDRHC3&Dept=cameras&CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders_HighDefinitionVideo

$1399

bigbossbmb
Oct 26, 2006, 09:04 PM
Be VERY weary of the "kits" you find online...most of those places are scammers and you can read all about them at www.ressellerratings.com. B&H is sometimes a little high, but it no way are they completely overpriced. If you're seeing prices that are more than $200-300 different, then it is 99% likely a scam. Do not deal with these people.

DO NOT BUY FROM BESTPRICECAMERAS.COM They are complete scammers.

bigbossbmb
Oct 26, 2006, 09:13 PM
To actually answer the camera question, a GL1/GL2 is a good starter camera. I prefer Panasonic, so the DVC30 is their good starting cam. Comparable with the Canon but has some different features. If you can find a used Panasonic DVX100/A/B that would the best in your price range though.

untitled...
Oct 26, 2006, 11:06 PM
Be VERY weary of the "kits" you find online...most of those places are scammers and you can read all about them at www.ressellerratings.com. B&H is sometimes a little high, but it no way are they completely overpriced. If you're seeing prices that are more than $200-300 different, then it is 99% likely a scam. Do not deal with these people.

DO NOT BUY FROM BESTPRICECAMERAS.COM They are complete scammers.
mr. big is right!
what a lot of the places that sell the kits do is strip the product down to the barebones then make it seem like you are getting a great deal. then you have to buy all of it back and they then overcharge!

bhphoto.com is one of the best places to get all your gear. I know for a fact they will be in the top 3 for the best prices out there. (no tax)

well just my 2cents!:)

Garden Knowm
Oct 26, 2006, 11:57 PM
B&H is numero UNO : )

and so is the panasonic 100B and even if somebody likes another camera more.. it is the most respected camera in the industry (in that price range) and it can GET you JOBS!!

the panasonic 100a/b basically replaced the sony pd-150 which replaced the VX-1000/2000... as the industry standard for DV shooters

cheers

faustfire
Oct 27, 2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks again. How ever You listed so many but with no comments (except the HDV that I have no Idea why I would choose one over any of the others.

If you are planning on doing a lot of greenscreen stuff you might want to look into an HDV camera. SD DV really doesnt key very well at all, you will get much better results with HDV.

bigbossbmb
Oct 27, 2006, 12:19 AM
Good point about the DVX being the industry standard (and the HVX, as well)...

I just got my DVX last week and it's amazing. If you can afford it, it is definitely at the top of the list. If not, the DVC30 and GL2 are both good, but certainly not great.

TheFuzz
Oct 27, 2006, 12:52 PM
i'd go with the following:

SD: 1. dvx-100b 2.sony vx2100 3. canon gl2

HDV: 1. hvx200 2. sony whatever

the hvx records at a higher bit rate giving you more color info, but it still has it's drawbacks as it's sensor only records 960x540 resolution. the hdv sony's record at the same bit rate as sd dv, stretching it out over a larger area. i had a sony vx2000 for three years and can say it's a really good camera w/ a better picture than the gl2. both are crap for keying greenscreen footage, but if that's the route you go there are plug-ins that will help you get a better key. if i were in the market for a new camera it'd probably be a dvx-100b until the hd stuff is sorted and the prices come down.

corywoolf
Oct 29, 2006, 12:29 AM
mr. big is right!
what a lot of the places that sell the kits do is strip the product down to the barebones then make it seem like you are getting a great deal. then you have to buy all of it back and they then overcharge!

bhphoto.com is one of the best places to get all your gear. I know for a fact they will be in the top 3 for the best prices out there. (no tax)

well just my 2cents!:)

Just about to say the same thing! NEVER buy from any Brooklyn, NY camera shop.

Garden Knowm
Oct 29, 2006, 12:50 AM
Sony PD-150 and Sony PD-170
are a notch above the VX-2000 for probably the same price.

cheers