Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
I am just curious about this... Were there ever actually real rumors posted on MacRumors and elsewhere that Apple was making, working on, thinking about maybe working on etc. a "PowerBook G5?"

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Ha! Found a few. Was Apple REALLY planning on a G5 notebook and just went with intel suddenly or is the rumor mill really that strong and FOS?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
PowerBook G5 was a real live product under development that failed to ship. In January 2005 Tim Cook called it "the mother of all thermal challenges" and at the Intel announcement, Steve Jobs noted that Apple couldn't get it into a shippable state.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Most people seem to agree that Apple was indeed at some point trying to get the G5 to work inside a Powerbook. Steve admitted as much at the launch of the Macbook Pro in January (see the QuickTime stream of the event).

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
It's all we talked about for a while on here (more so than a C2D transition) and I don't doubt that engineering prototypes reached fairly advanced stages.

I think if they'd been willing to change the pbook casing so it was twice as thick they might have got away with it. Who would want that though?

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
emotion said:
I think if they'd been willing to change the pbook casing so it was twice as thick they might have got away with it. Who would want that though?

given the thickness of the average dell notebook, it stands to reason that most people would not care like we do about it.

but screw the G5, I have a G4, and a 1" thick PowerBook and I'm happy with it. A G5 would have been cool(well...), but the cost of adding thickness would be too much for my tastes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.