PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare: iBook AC = Macbook AC??

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 20, 2006, 11:10 AM
Quick question, I've got a friend who is looking to unload his AppleCare (never been used) for his iBook. He said that it also works for Macbooks (he said he called and asked). I'm just wondering if this makes sense? He is giving me a great deal on it, I just want to make sure that AppleCare that was bought for an iBook and never used can also be used for a Macbook? Any input? Thanks!

yellow
Oct 20, 2006, 11:13 AM
AppleCare is tied to a Mac's serial number, I very much doubt it's transferable betwixt Macs.

I suggest reading the AppleCare Terms & Conditions:

http://images.apple.com/support/products/pdf/applecare_techsuppt_t_and_c_11182003.pdf

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 20, 2006, 11:22 AM
I don't think that is true though Yellow, because people have been selling AppleCare on eBay and in our Marketplace all the time new/unopened?

yellow
Oct 20, 2006, 11:24 AM
Well, being sold on eBay is definitely not a sign of legitimacy. ;)

However, since we ALWAYS purchase AC when we buy the computer, the AC is ALWAYS tied to the computer. Automatically. Perhaps if one purchased it OEM from Apple (or other?) and never opened it and never activated it, then you'd be OK. However, if your buddy (bought it after the fact) has activated it, then it's TIED to his iBook and you'd be wasting money. Or, if he bought it with the iBook at the time of purchase, it's likely his iBook was autoenrolled and therefore the AC is tied to the iBook.

extraextra
Oct 20, 2006, 11:26 AM
If he bought the Applecare specifically for his iBook, they normally register the serial number of the product you're buying it for?

I've never "used" my Applecare for my iPod, but it's registered under my iPod's serial number and I can't just transfer it over to someone else.

WildCowboy
Oct 20, 2006, 12:03 PM
Yes, it all depends on whether the AppleCare and the computer have been linked together in the registration process. I've always ordered custom-built Macs and received the AppleCare separately. I had to register them in order to activate the whole package.

As long as your friend hasn't registered the computer under that AppleCare (which is easy to check through Apple's support site), you're free to use it. iBook and MacBook AppleCare packages are identical and interchangeable.

yg17
Oct 20, 2006, 12:23 PM
Well, being sold on eBay is definitely not a sign of legitimacy. ;)

Not always. I bought AC for my PowerBook off eBay for $175, and I believe it retails for well over $300 at the Apple Store. And it's definitely legit because I've already had a repair done under AC