PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive swapping? iBook G3 and iBook G4

Xenesis
Oct 20, 2006, 11:56 AM
Hey guys. My brother's iBook G4 (800Mhz, First Rev) has completely splattered itself and we're getting a new Macbook for him under insurance. My iBook G3 (White, 900Mhz G3..the last G3 Rev of the iBook) has a failing hard drive.

Now, could I swap out those two drives, at least to recover stuff? And is there a specific method of opening up the iBook G4 so that I don't break stuff (I've already messed with my G3..and ended up with a dozen extra screws ^_^;)

Mainly the aim is to salvage the hard drive and swap them out; replacing my faulty iBook G3 one with the iBook G4 one which is perfectly fine.

Any other things I should be aware of?

WildCowboy
Oct 20, 2006, 11:59 AM
Yes, you should be able to swap the drives, but it's a lot of work...especially since you're taking apart two of them. See the take-apart guides over at iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/).

Xenesis
Oct 20, 2006, 12:09 PM
Looks like I'll have a busy afternoon then. The main thing I wanted to know is if the hard drives were compatible.

aquajet
Oct 20, 2006, 02:18 PM
Looks like I'll have a busy afternoon then. The main thing I wanted to know is if the hard drives were compatible.

Indeed they are. Just keep track of your screws and good luck.

Xenesis
Oct 21, 2006, 04:35 AM
Huzzah! It was a complete success!