PDA

View Full Version : Questionable performance running Windows games Intel MBP?

FatDaddy 64.5
Oct 21, 2006, 12:15 AM
Has anyone had any questionable performance with any Windows games running on their Intel Mac Book Pro? I have a copy of Windows XP Pro running on my MBP and have installed a few games. One of them is Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. When I run it, everything runs fine except Sam Fisher's animation runs slowly. Example; When I walk or open doors it's taking twice as long to perform the actions, meanwhile the game itself is running a normal speeds. What is going on here? I have also noticed more goofy things going on with other games. Could this be some driver issues? Perhaps playing Window games on a Mac is not as great as it's all cracked up to be. Anyway I just wanted to know if anybody else is noticing the same problem on their MBP's?

Chone
Oct 21, 2006, 09:02 AM
Has anyone had any questionable performance with any Windows games running on their Intel Mac Book Pro? I have a copy of Windows XP Pro running on my MBP and have installed a few games. One of them is Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. When I run it, everything runs fine except Sam Fisher's animation runs slowly. Example; When I walk or open doors it's taking twice as long to perform the actions, meanwhile the game itself is running a normal speeds. What is going on here? I have also noticed more goofy things going on with other games. Could this be some driver issues? Perhaps playing Window games on a Mac is not as great as it's all cracked up to be. Anyway I just wanted to know if anybody else is noticing the same problem on their MBP's?

Well try updating to the latest drivers or using some optimized drivers (I love Omegas, will never use Catalyst again), try playing with the charger on (otherwise there are some power management options to conserve battery life) and you can aslo try overclocking your card, the X1600 in the MBP is not too great at 300/300 but at 500/500 (which runs great at those clocks in my MBP) its great. Playing Windows games on a Mac is good, I mean, well Prey runs at 1440x900, medium settings, playabale, FarCry runs at 1440x900 2XAA/4XAF and everything runs smooth, Doom3 is at maximum settings (minus AA and AF), I get 64fps on CSS's stress test with everything on (including AA/AF) and Oblivion ran decently at 1280x800 with some options turned down but view distance was still at 100% and the game looked good and was playable.

The MBP is completely capable of playing modern games decently... you just gotta be willing to do some tweaks here and there.