PDA

View Full Version : No New iPod Case?

MacRumors
Apr 14, 2003, 12:42 PM
MacWhispers posts (http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000059.php) a speculative article based on their information. According to the site, the new iPods will continue to have the chrome back -- as it appears production of those are ongoing... but they feel the button-design originally posted by ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com) are unlikely to appear.

MacWhispers did first mention a dual USB/Firewire cable that was being manufactured for Apple -- which would fit in with the USB/Firewire Dock rumor associated with ThinkSecret's story.

Of note, SpyMac (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/09/20020928110025.shtml) first hinted at an iPod dock in September 2002... and claimed it was due in Q1 2003.

In another discrepancy, MacWhispers reports (http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000060.php) that the 30gig Toshiba drive is "only being produced as a PC-Card version" -- which would suggest against a 10GB, 15GB, and 30GB sizing of iPods.

damax452
Apr 14, 2003, 01:02 PM
I hope macwhiaspers is right, the current ipod design is too perfect to discard. And i want to see 10,20,40gb ipods too, 15 and 30 are wierd. And i like the ipod chrome back, keep in mind that the metal back is probably there for cooling purposes so it most likely has to be some kind of metal, not necessarily polished SS though.

alia
Apr 14, 2003, 01:14 PM
Part of this news snippet seems to be caught between the links for Mac Whispers and ThinkSecret.

:)

EDIT: Oops! Looks like they caught it. Sorry about the spam.

Flowbee
Apr 14, 2003, 02:27 PM
Maybe it's time for PAGE 3: iPOD RUMORS ;)

smashedapart
Apr 14, 2003, 02:36 PM
damax452 > Couldn't agree with you more! You're not alone in your hope...

Freg3000
Apr 14, 2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Maybe it's time for PAGE 3: iPOD RUMORS ;)

I second this proposition. :) Whatever happens, a lot of people will just be flat out wrong-there have so many conflicting reports, someone needs to be wrong.

shadowfax
Apr 14, 2003, 03:03 PM
with any luck, they'll keep the groovy chrome backing, but i am still curious to see if apple can outdo themselves on the interface design.

i wonder what the chances are that we'll see a 40 GB iPod instead of the more heavily rumored 30?

DavPeanut
Apr 14, 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Maybe it's time for PAGE 3: iPOD RUMORSMaybe Page 2 should have multiple sections, one for iPods, one for 15" powerbooks, and one for powermacs.

MacFan25
Apr 14, 2003, 04:11 PM
i kind of hope that the new ipods wont have the chrome back on them. so then there wont be fingerprints all on the chrome.

psxndc
Apr 14, 2003, 04:54 PM
Personally, I don't like the chrome. It just looks out of place to me (I don't have one, always drooling over my friends' ones). I know this will cause people to flip tables over with rage, but I think they should ditch the chrome and go all white plastic. But that's just my personal pref. Sorta like how I think all the brushed metal apps look goofy compared to the candy prefs pane.

-p

wsteineker
Apr 14, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by psxndc
Personally, I don't like the chrome. It just looks out of place to me (I don't have one, always drooling over my friends' ones). I know this will cause people to flip tables over with rage, but I think they should ditch the chrome and go all white plastic. But that's just my personal pref. Sorta like how I think all the brushed metal apps look goofy compared to the candy prefs pane.

-p

*flips table over in rage*

I understand what all the all plastic folks are saying with regards to fingerprints and scratches and whatnot, but the chrome just looks so pretty. :)

yzedf
Apr 14, 2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by wsteineker
*flips table over in rage*

I understand what all the all plastic folks are saying with regards to fingerprints and scratches and whatnot, but the chrome just looks so pretty. :)
for about a week of normal use. then it looks all scratched and nappy :(

mstecker
Apr 14, 2003, 06:48 PM
People who complain about the chrome iPod back are driving me nuts! Would you really rather have an unscratched piece of PLASTIC, or a scratched up piece of chrome?

I, for one, would take the scratched up piece of chrome anyday. It just looks used - but still very cool.

You use it, it ages, it looks aged. That's the natural cycle of things. You don't see people shunning blue jeans becuase they don't keep their "new" look, do you?

DHagan4755
Apr 14, 2003, 07:13 PM
What if that 5x7 enclosure that MacWhispers was talking about awhile back was actually for the recharging table stand for the iPod?

davidc2182
Apr 14, 2003, 08:18 PM
what about dynamic ornamental design? huh? where do you think that will be implemented

shadowfax
Apr 14, 2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by mstecker
People who complain about the chrome iPod back are driving me nuts! Would you really rather have an unscratched piece of PLASTIC, or a scratched up piece of chrome?

I, for one, would take the scratched up piece of chrome anyday. It just looks used - but still very cool.

You use it, it ages, it looks aged. That's the natural cycle of things. You don't see people shunning blue jeans becuase they don't keep their "new" look, do you?
a plastic back would scratch also. i have a power adaptor for my laptop. i bet it gets comparable usage to an iPod in a backpack. pocket of an active person. it is indeed scratched. if you don't want scratches, you have to take good care of stuff.

wsteineker
Apr 14, 2003, 08:50 PM
Ok, so i've been thinking about this. My Zippo is chrome, and it looks fine with the scratches on it. Not like new, but it's got a bit of character to it. Almost like what silver does as it ages (patina). I far prefer it to the old Bic on my desk with all of its scratches. The chrome just looks and feels better.

psxndc
Apr 14, 2003, 09:09 PM
You don't see people shunning blue jeans becuase they don't keep their "new" look, do you?

Actually a lot of the "blue" (indigo) jeans I see people wearing these days would look terrible if they were broken in and thus I doubt people would wear them. :)

Secondly, what I don't like about the chrome is that it just looks out of place. It's like "oh, here's all this nice white plastic. Plastic dial, plastic buttons, plastic case and AGGGHHH my eyes! Blinded by the chrome!"

It just reminds me of an oversized spoiler on a Honda Civic. I guess it looks cool, but it also just looks... out of place.

Again, these are my prefs. I don't expect others to feel the same way.

-p

shadowfax
Apr 14, 2003, 09:21 PM
they should do like an option.

size? 10,15, or 30 GB
color? white, white, or white?
back? plastic, chrome, or paper?

MorganX
Apr 14, 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by mstecker

Mine doesn't look used, it looks nasty, filthy, greasy and ugly. The iPod is simply unable to be handled by human hands with the chrome backing. I'd like to see aluminum at the least.

The chrome sucks, I will upgrade but if it remains chrome I'll be looking for a case.

wsteineker
Apr 14, 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by MorganX
Mine doesn't look used, it looks nasty, filthy, greasy and ugly. The iPod is simply unable to be handled by human hands with the chrome backing. I'd like to see aluminum at the least.

The chrome sucks, I will upgrade but if it remains chrome I'll be looking for a case.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I'd settle for brushed aluminum on the back of an iPod.

bentmywookie
Apr 15, 2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I'd settle for brushed aluminum on the back of an iPod.

What about that metal that's in Wolverine's body? Adamantium? That would be cool to have on the back of an iPod. Even better would be to move the whole Powerbook line to that - I don't know how heavy it is though.

On another note - I think this story is interesting simply because MacWhispers has pitted itself against ThinkSecret. Two rumor sites - in the end, only one can win the love of the mac rumor community! Who will win?

wsteineker
Apr 15, 2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by bentmywookie
What about that metal that's in Wolverine's body? Adamantium? That would be cool to have on the back of an iPod. Even better would be to move the whole Powerbook line to that - I don't know how heavy it is though.

That's damn funny! How about a depleted uranium caseback? It's super strong and can be used as a weapon in case of enemy invasion! ;)

On another note - I think this story is interesting simply because MacWhispers has pitted itself against ThinkSecret. Two rumor sites - in the end, only one can win the love of the mac rumor community! Who will win?

Very true. I think it's safe to say that MacWhispers has a lot more to lose here. It'll be interesting to see who's right. :)

Cowboy Dan
Apr 15, 2003, 10:40 AM
I really hope that Apple doesn't do anything along the lines of ThinkSecret's drawing. The current interface is just about perfect. I wonder, however, if Apple might introduce some red, yellow, and green led buttons somewhere...as many have noted that recent OSX updates have changed the window buttons in metal windows so that they look embedded in the brushed aluminum. I doubt that the next iPod would implement this, but who knows? Anyone? Does anyone know?

anonymous161
Apr 15, 2003, 02:50 PM
I posted this on another thread, but I meant to post on this one.
I think I could really grow to like the 4 buttons on the new iPod mock up if they had fiber optic backlights like the new PowerBook keyboard. Especially if the screen dimmed along with the buttons.

SoonToGetAMac
Apr 15, 2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
I second this proposition. :) Whatever happens, a lot of people will just be flat out wrong-there have so many conflicting reports, someone needs to be wrong.

Well, it could be coming in 3 editions: solid steel, lucite, and solid gold. Also, the buttons would be plastered all over the device, making everyone happy. ;)

SoonToGetAMac
Apr 15, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by anonymous161
I posted this on another thread, but I meant to post on this one.
I think I could really grow to like the 4 buttons on the new iPod mock up if they had fiber optic backlights like the new PowerBook keyboard. Especially if the screen dimmed along with the buttons. That would be so ultra-über-cool that I would need 2 adjectives to describe it.:D But seriously, that would be the best. I would assume it would take barely any battery life, and the illumination could be turned off if the used didn't want it. || On another iPod topic, anyone thnk that it'll have a bigger/more potent battery.

moby1
Apr 16, 2003, 03:23 AM
I want a Black 10-15 GB iPod with a chrome back.

iMook
Apr 16, 2003, 07:54 AM
Hmmm... backlighting...

how about... pair the backlighting with those touch sensor buttons which don't actually have tactile response (sorta like the G4 Cube power button but with much faster response time, saw a row of them on a Samsung LCD display at Circuit City. with blue backlights)? Though it'll be hard to navigate blind, it'll make for a sweet-looking iPod. Imagine: perfectly flat face (move the screen forward too, or add a protective shield to it.) Tiny backlit touch sensors, a touchwheel with a glowing center (pulsating, even?) Ja, that'd be sweet. (Seriously, how many times have you done anything other than volume control and have not been looking at the iPod?)

Another idea: you know the new displays that RCA is making into its high-end Scenium DVD players? Yeah. The ones which are chrome when unlit, but you cansee what's underneath when the text below is lit. That'd be nice, too, provided it's not too bulky. That way, the whole iPod can be pseudo-chrome (I prefer brushed metal, myself, but still).

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, the touchwheel wouldn't be chrome, which would take away from the elegance of the design...

Grimace
Apr 18, 2003, 10:01 AM
What if there was an alumiPod to match the Powerbooks?

Or maybe an ePod in tangerine and other bizarre Apple colors.

shadowfax
Apr 18, 2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
What if there was an alumiPod to match the Powerbooks?

Or maybe an ePod in tangerine and other bizarre Apple colors. if it were out of aluminum, i think they would call it the alPod. that would be different. i wonder if apple is going to make aluminum its new look, or even just new pro look, and if the latter if the iPod will be affected.

iMook
Apr 18, 2003, 12:13 PM
Something ridiculous...

Aluminum is Apple's Pro aesthetic, apparently, and since consumer machines are called i<...>, and Pro machines are called Pro<...>, mebe they'll come out with an aluminum ProPod >> Prod.

Just imagine the ad campaign: The Apple Prod. Think different. :D

Yeah... that was lame.

shadowfax
Apr 18, 2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by iMook
Something ridiculous...

Aluminum is Apple's Pro aesthetic, apparently, and since consumer machines are called i<...>, and Pro machines are called Pro<...>, mebe they'll come out with an aluminum ProPod >> Prod.

Just imagine the ad campaign: The Apple Prod. Think different. :D

Yeah... that was lame.
i can't think of any names of pro stuff i have seen that has pro in its name. it's actually Power<...>.
PowerMAC
PowerBOOK

so, PowerPOD?

Bateman
Apr 19, 2003, 01:35 AM
I think some of you will remember this.... PowerPod (http://powerpod.com/)

Hey, am i the only one that sees the iMac in it??? ;)

GeneR
Apr 19, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Bateman
I think some of you will remember this.... PowerPod (http://powerpod.com/)

Hey, am i the only one that sees the iMac in it??? ;)

That's pretty darn cool. Looks A LOT like an iMac! I mean, the iMac looks a lot like it! :D

iMook
Apr 20, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
it's actually Power<...>.
PowerMAC
PowerBOOK

so, PowerPOD?

Ja. Stupid me.

PowerPod? Ugh. Apple can do better.