PDA

View Full Version : Connect TV and projector to 15" Powerbook G4?

cokeworth
Oct 21, 2006, 02:01 AM
I have only twenty-four hours to figure out how best to connect a large screen TV in one room and an Optoma projector in another so that Powerpoint can be viewed on both of them. It seems that my 15" Powerbook G4 cannot support sending both a DVI signal and an S-Video signal at the same-time. Has anyone any knowledge of websites or threads that have related information? I know that multiple displays are supported....I think... Any ideas?

ChrisBrightwell
Oct 21, 2006, 02:35 AM
Close the PowerBook, plugin power, keyboard, and mouse. Plugin projector (dvi).

This should wake up the PowerBook. If it doesn't, press a keyboard button or something.

Now plug in the TV (s-video).

With any luck, you should get it to detect the TV and the projector. Otherwise, you can get a s-video splitter or DA (hit up Radio Shack) and run s-video out to the splitter/DA and from there to the tv and projector.

hth.

cokeworth
Oct 21, 2006, 03:34 AM
Thanks. Yes, I tried it. But, I think that the S-video to the splitter is the way to go. Since the projector goes to a full-sized Cinema screen (about 50 ft across) I'm hoping that the quality of the signal doesn't get too diminished... Oh, and I think I forgot to mention that the TV is about 48" :-D (Oh and it will be connected to the TV via a 100 ft python cord)

It's a fun project, I'll be sure to keep up on this post til I find the absolute best way possible for connecting multiple displays of various types i.e. VGA, DVI, S-Video, etc..)

Oh, and why do we always spend all of our time trying to figure out what macs can and can't do? It seems like they have infinite possibilities, but they're set up like a video-game with little secret tunnels and ways to skip levels... Yeah it's fun, but I get a little tired of it after a couple of years...:)

I LOVE MAC!!!

cokeworth
Oct 21, 2006, 03:37 AM
I think I forgot to mention that it didn't work...

It seems only either DVI or S-Video output can work... The screen on the tv works when it's hooked in alone and the same is true for the projector, but no dice when both are plugged in... There must be a kind of trip-switch between the two...