PDA

View Full Version : Photo Booth on a 1.42 Mac Mini

kgarchar
Oct 21, 2006, 11:37 AM
So I recently talked my girlfriend into (and helped out with) a 1.42 Mac Mini, She is using an older (broken) video camera for her iSight, (it won't record, but it hooks up to the computer fine, so it's a perfect solution)

The thing is, she loved playing with Photo Booth on my MacBook, and I was wondering if there's a hack or anything to be able to use it on the Mac Mini. I looked around for awhile last night and found nothing, anyone have any ideas?

tvguru
Oct 21, 2006, 11:39 AM
Pretty sure no hack needed just copy the program, but not sure if it's entirely legal.

Kardashian
Oct 21, 2006, 11:46 AM
There's a few websites where you can download Photobooth - I did it on an iMac G5 and Mini before I got my MacBook.

I can't remember for sure, but I'm almost definate you need to fool the Mac into thinking you have an internal iSight, or an iSight in general.

Anyway, look into it. Try Googling ''download Photobooth PPC" or ''download Photobooth mac" and see what comes up.

One things for sure, if you have to trick your Mac into working, its going against some Apple term or condition.

Macmadant
Oct 21, 2006, 11:59 AM
if its a firewire cam it will work, just copy it over from your macbook, i'm using a Powermac G4 and isight, i didn't have to hack anything it just worked

Mac-Addict
Oct 21, 2006, 12:53 PM
if its a firewire cam it will work, just copy it over from your macbook, i'm using a Powermac G4 and isight, i didn't have to hack anything it just worked
But if u copy it from the macbook surely that would mean it would be the mac osx intel version of it and not the PPC version..

CHROMEDOME
Oct 21, 2006, 01:22 PM
But if u copy it from the macbook surely that would mean it would be the mac osx intel version of it and not the PPC version..

Its universal.

kgarchar
Oct 21, 2006, 02:07 PM
oh, that's really easy then, thanks!

jonharris200
Nov 18, 2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I can confirm this too. I decided to wipe my PowerBook G4 (PowerPC) hard disk and do a complete reinstall of operating system, applications and files from my iMac (Intel). This was just because my PowerBook hard disk was limping along and not even Disk Warrior could fix it. Afterwards, to my surprise, Photobooth had been transferred with everything else AND it worked fine on my PowerBook with external iSight - a real bonus. :)

It's the benefit of Universal, working in reverse!

Exist2Inspire
Nov 19, 2006, 12:12 PM
Surely there are other programs similar to PhotoBooth?

roland.g
Nov 19, 2006, 02:32 PM
Photobooth was actually the first Universal App.

It came on the iSight G5 iMac but Apple was already preparing for the Intel releases.

I loaded it onto my 1.66 Rev A. Mini. It now comes with the 1.66/1.83 Rev. B Minis but it wasn't preinstalled on the original Minis. It works but when I choose effects it doesn't show all the effect previews. It's kind of buggy. I'm hoping when I upgrade to Leopard it will resolve the issue, since it should be preloaded on Leopard.

Killyp
Nov 19, 2006, 02:58 PM
Surely there are other programs similar to PhotoBooth?

FunnyPhotographer (http://homepage.mac.com/spillnerclan/fabian/funnyphotographer/Funny%20Photographer.html)

:)

wareami
Oct 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
can someone send me a copy via email please i would be really greatful if anyone can
thanks
cj