PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a home recording suite.

xJulianx
Oct 21, 2006, 01:40 PM
I have been a Music Technology student for over a year now (just started my 2nd year in a 2 year national diploma course), I am very familier with using Logic pro on the college's 17" iMacs. We use a USB MIDI keyboard as an input for our music.

I want to have this same setup at home on my 1.83GHz, 512MB RAM MacBook. the only difference is I would like the ability to record my guitar, be this through a microphone or by plugging the amp straight into the MacBook.

I was wondering exactly what I will need, and, how I will do it. Maybe a diagram to show all of the connections etc. I have had a quick look on the internet and have only found articles that have confused me further.

I will be using Logic Express 7.2 as money is fairly tight, so all other components would need to be of a 'budget' range.

Many thanks for any input:)

mdntcallr
Oct 21, 2006, 01:43 PM
You will need more ram!!!! alot more ram, load your sucker up.

also maybe look into the m audio midi, guitar, keyboard and mic inputs.

you will also want to buy a nice external hard drive for more storage space.

xJulianx
Oct 21, 2006, 01:51 PM
You will need more ram!!!! alot more ram, load your sucker up.

also maybe look into the m audio midi, guitar, keyboard and mic inputs.

you will also want to buy a nice external hard drive for more storage space.

I forgot to add, I'm intending to stick another GB of RAM in there, bringing the grand total up to 1.25GB, then, later on when I have some more cash, I'll put another GB on, maxing it out at 2GB.

I think I'll have to make do with the 80GB HD for quite a while, it should be fine for my needs.

When you say audio mudi, guitar, keyboard and mic inputs...is this an external sound card?

Thanks for the help.

CanadaRAM
Oct 21, 2006, 02:03 PM
Yep: In general you will want an external Firewire or USB sound card, a USB/MIDI keyboard of some description, depending on how experienced you are at piano playing -- if you are a longtime acoustic player, get used to the idea of spending more on a quality keyboard controller because you'll hate the cheap ones.

Have a search through this subforum - we have covered interfaces and keyboards extensively.

Also get ahold of magazines -- Sound on Sound (UK), Keyboard, Electronic Musician, Recording, Future Music (UK), Computer Music (UK). Go to your newsstand and/or Library. They run how-to articles and reviews all the time.

MIDI Keyboard --> MAC <--> Audio Interface| <<--Microphones
MIDI Keyboard --> MAC <--> Audio Interface <<--guitars and other inst.
MIDI Keyboard --> MAC <-->Audio Interface| -->> Amplifier/powered speakers

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Americanloti
Oct 21, 2006, 02:05 PM
What you need is an external audio interface either FW or USB. Also I strongly suggest to buy an external drive. Not for storage, but because recording audio to you system drive can mess up your audio files.Here (http://www.sweetwater.com) you can found pretty much anything you'll need for set up a home recording studio.

xJulianx
Oct 21, 2006, 02:12 PM
Okay, many thanks to you all:)