Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
...So the Brazilian GP is over. Schu didn't make it to the podium...but even though Massa won the race and Alonso clinched the Championship the news of the day is that Michael Schumacher has stepped out of a Formula One car for the last time in his career.

:eek: :eek:

It's the end of an era.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I hope ferrari can do as well with Kimi behind the wheel next year..

It was really cool seeing Schumi race this year at the Montreal GP, i'm glad I got to see him before he retired.

*waits for all the schumi haters to rag on him*

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
sikkinixx said:
*waits for all the schumi haters to rag on him*

I wanted Fisichella to deliberately crash into Schumacher during the overtaking. I think it would have had something 'poetic' about it!

But seriously, F1 is going to be slightly strange without Schumi's flawed genius!

Have a long and happy retirement Michael :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
welshandrew said:
But seriously, F1 is going to be slightly strange without Schumi's flawed genius!

Have a long and happy retirement Michael :)

I couldn't agree more.

*waits for Shumy fanboys to complain*;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
welshandrew said:
I wanted Fisichella to deliberately crash into Schumacher during the overtaking.

Ross Brawn reckons he did pretty much that.

Have to say, on the replay... Fisi was devilishly late on the brakes, trying to defend a corner that he lost halfway down the main straight.

Schumacher and Räikkönen demonstrated how 'close' racing should be done. ;) Just like Mansell and Senna at Barcelona in 1991. :D Beautiful. :D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It will be interesting to see what the post-Schu era looks like in 2007...without Michael around there will be a new podium spot available for just about every race.

Despite Schu's departure Ferrari seem as competitive as ever. Massa and Raikkonen will win a lot of races next year. Button has had a good season too. Alonso's future seems less certain but that isn't due to his speed on the track.

But there was no driver who had the ability to lay down speed when it counted like Schu - it was uncanny.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
iGav said:
Ross Brawn reckons he did pretty much that.

Nah! I mean a proper crash, like Schumi on Hill or Villeneuve. Put himself and his 'target' out of the race! :p

I'm only kidding of course. It would have been nice to have Schumi on the podium in his final race.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
bartelby said:
Well he would do, wouldn't he. :rolleyes:

Your mate. :p :p :p

It was very, very close though... but what are the chances really? the following corner after the overtaking move, on that tyre (which is the unloaded one on the corner where the debris was) just happened to have a puncture?

I think contact was made, though I don't think it was Fisichella's intention to do so... but he did take too much of a risk, when he'd already lost the corner to Schumacher.

But sh*t happens, Schumacher didn't lose the championship today, or yesterday or at Suzuka. It can be traced back to Turkey, Canada, Monaco, Australia... Renault and Alonso did the better job over the season, and are deservedly World Champions.

Either way, it's being an exceptional season... and a fascinating battle between two incredible drivers seperated by 12 years of age. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kace

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2005
Sydney
last couple of races have been quite ironic for schumacher.

ive always preferred kimi over alonso or schumy but wouldve liked if schumacher won today.

its a sad, sad day. end of an era.

go kimi in '07 (even if it is with ferrari).

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
Lol i think Kimi is the man. On UK F1 coverage he was asked by one of the TV team if he was dissapointed that he missed Pele giving Michael that gold trophy...

"No, No I dont really care about that" some more conversation goes on about missing the Pele / Michael thing, Kimi:"....I was actually taking a sh*t"

LOL. That guy just doesnt care about anything, not even Pele congratulating Shumy on the start line.

simonthewolf

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
adom said:
Lol i think Kimi is the man. On UK F1 coverage he was asked by one of the TV team if he was dissapointed that he missed Pele giving Michael that gold trophy...

"No, No I dont really care about that" some more conversation goes on about missing the Pele / Michael thing, Kimi:"....I was actually taking a sh*t"

LOL. That guy just doesnt care about anything, not even Pele congratulating Shumy on the start line.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJ9btlNQW20 :D

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
adom said:

I couldn't stop laughing for ages after that!
You gotta love Kimi!

I was getting really miffed with James Allen though. He managed to mention Schumy in every bloody sentence he spoke!!

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Whats with all the legends of their sports retiring. Stefan Everts from MXGP, Ricky Carmichael the Greatest motocross racer of all time, and now Schumacher.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Dark said:
Whats with all the legends of their sports retiring. Stefan Everts from MXGP, Ricky Carmichael the Greatest motocross racer of all time, and now Schumacher.

Carmichael ain't retiring. He's moving up to late model stock cars on a hopefully meteoric path to Cup cars.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
It is a shame. He was a great driver; one of the best ever IMHO. He could have kept going for some more years to come but maybe he just didnt enjoy it anymore.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
I'm sure Schumi had a lot of fun moving up from 19th or 20th when he was right in front of Massa to 4th. The pass on Kimi was my favorite part of the race. I think Kimi will probably be clean up next year at Ferrari. It was very clear at Brazil that the Ferrari was the fastest car out there. I don't know if Fisi is going to be able to keep up with Kimi, and the McLaren just doesn't look like a competitive car right now. What does look competitive is Jenson's Honda. Look at his race finishes since Germany this year: 4th, 1st, 4th, 5th, 4th, 4th, 3rd! If Honda can step up there speed just a little they could be in the mix of things with Ferrari. But, I say Kimi wraps up the championship with 3 or more races to go next year..... Just my opinion right now.....

knackroller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
So Alonso might have chosen better going to Honda rather than McClaren ... I agree I don't quite see McClaren having the equipment to challenge for the title next year.

Any chance Schumi would do a comeback and do lazy rounds in say a Super Aguri car (hee hee) like the other old timers currently on the track....?

Jedi128 said:
I'm sure Schumi had a lot of fun moving up from 19th or 20th when he was right in front of Massa to 4th. The pass on Kimi was my favorite part of the race. I think Kimi will probably be clean up next year at Ferrari. It was very clear at Brazil that the Ferrari was the fastest car out there. I don't know if Fisi is going to be able to keep up with Kimi, and the McLaren just doesn't look like a competitive car right now. What does look competitive is Jenson's Honda. Look at his race finishes since Germany this year: 4th, 1st, 4th, 5th, 4th, 4th, 3rd! If Honda can step up there speed just a little they could be in the mix of things with Ferrari. But, I say Kimi wraps up the championship with 3 or more races to go next year..... Just my opinion right now.....

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Big question Mark about M$'s legacy will be

He never drove in the same team with another top driver.

Fangio had Moss, Clark had Hill, Prost had Lauda, Senna had Prost.

I dont regard Raikkonen as that good he will probably win in 2007 on the basis of schumachers legacy but Ferrari I think will go into decine after that.

Tis a pity we didnt have KR and MS in the same team in 07.

I also think teh scuderia gave M$ the nudge out as Raikkonen told them they would not get him in 07 if Schumacher was still there was number one.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
knackroller said:
So Alonso might have chosen better going to Honda rather than McClaren ... I agree I don't quite see McClaren having the equipment to challenge for the title next year.

Any chance Schumi would do a comeback and do lazy rounds in say a Super Aguri car (hee hee) like the other old timers currently on the track....?

If Kimi or Massa ever get ill or have an accident, which causes them to miss a few races, I could see MS coming back for a bit. But if he did come back to F1 at some point, I doubt it will be to any other team than Ferrari.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
DerChef said:
I also think teh scuderia gave M$ the nudge out as Raikkonen told them they would not get him in 07 if Schumacher was still there was number one.

No.... The reason Ferrari booted Schumi is becuase they all think Massa is some kind of god or something. If Kimi came and Schumi stayed, Massa was out of a race seat.... unless he could get one at McLaren, there really isn't too many other options for him. For some reason this offended Ferrari and they wanted to keep Massa on, thus Schumi left, so that Kimi could come aboard and Massa could still drive in F1 next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.