PDA

View Full Version : Best way to power my Powerbook?

jotti
Oct 23, 2006, 12:11 PM
My G4 Powerbook 17" 1.5mhz stays on most of the time. Only thing that really gets any rest is the screen once in a while. For this reason, is it better to just power it off the powersupply and take out the battery? Any harm done in having the battery there and charging for extended periods?

andrewmulligan
Oct 23, 2006, 12:22 PM
I don't think that keeping it charging constantly will do any damage but I've used my iB/MB without a battery and the iB was sometimes a little unbalanced.. plus, it's better to not risk getting dirt inside the case. :)

garfield2002
Oct 23, 2006, 12:59 PM
There is a lot of folklore on the web about how to best care for a battery. :)

My understanding is that most modern laptops control very carefully the charging and discharging of their internal batteries. They switch the amounts of current relative to the condition of the battery. Therefore it should not be a problem to leave the powerbook connected to a charger constantly. My former Titanium Powerbook and my current MBP are all constantly connected much in the same way that you use your Powerbook. Will this decrease battery life? It is possible, but I've not noticed a huge difference.

I have also heard that operating your computer without a battery is not recommended and from a practical standpoint I can understand why. First, the battery acts as a built in UPS (uninterruptible power suply). This allows the voltage being sent to your laptop to be maintained through normal spikes of power flow comming from the wall outlet. Second, most OS's don't like to be shutdown abruptly (think blackout). Doing this too many times will ultimately cause irreparable damage to the OS and possible the hardware. When using your laptop without the battery the portability of the computer makes it easier to accidentaly pull the plug. Desktop computers that are heavy and can't be moved much don't have this problem. I once had a Compaq with a bum battery. Reaching over for my soda one night I pulled the plug from the back and I completely lost my word document (it was corrupted on restart). :)