Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
i know theres loads of threads on this but they have to be the best hosting company ever! i signed up today, superfast webspace, easy setup, unlimited domains, cheap, and there technical support is basically instant! very pleased!

i strongly recommend to anybody looking for a hosting company.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yep. i love 'em. they aren't the cheapest, but you do get what you pay for. unlike other companies they are super, super reliable and helpful. and their control panel is easy to use and i'd recommend them to anyone at this point as i've never had one single issue with them.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
majorp said:
i know theres loads of threads on this but they have to be the best hosting company ever! i signed up today, superfast webspace, easy setup, unlimited domains, cheap, and there technical support is basically instant! very pleased!

i strongly recommend to anybody looking for a hosting company.

Absolutely!!

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I haven't used them, but there is a lot of buzz about Media Temple.

I am looking for a host now, its so hard to determine who is best. I'm going to check out a small orange. :)

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
njmac said:
I haven't used them, but there is a lot of buzz about Media Temple.

I am looking for a host now, its so hard to determine who is best. I'm going to check out a small orange. :)

I don't know. Media Temple's GS plans seem to blow away ASO in features and pricing. It seems like a no brainer to me considering all the changes that took place at MT.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
radiantm3 said:
I don't know. Media Temple's GS plans seem to blow away ASO in features and pricing. It seems like a no brainer to me considering all the changes that took place at MT.

Have you used them? They do have great features and pricing... but are they reliable? Do they have great tech support?

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I moved all of my domains over to asmallorange after I read good reports here. I did some more research and the thing that worked really well for me is that ASO allows unlimited domain names to be parked on the account for no extra fee. I have some dormant hobby projects that I don't really want to pay hosting for, but still want to be able to get email at that domain. It works out well for me.

As for support, I needed some custom MX records so I could use Google for Domains email service (which is awesome, BTW) and they had me fixed up within the hour just the way I had wanted. I was really impressed. I won't be switching any time soon.

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
I have used both ASmallOrange and Media Temple. They are both good companies. I settled on ASmallOrange because of the way MediaTemple handles domains.

MediaTemple has your account tied to one domain. Every domain underneath it is an add-on domain (a sub-domain that appears to be a unique domain). This would be fine, but they do not let you create email addresses for any domain but the one tied to the account. This means that I could not have an email address for both my website and my father's. Stupid.

ASO also treats additional domains as add-on domains, but you can create as many email addresses as you want for any one of the domains on your account. ASO also had the latest version of software added, and cPanel is much easier to navigate as compared to MediaTemple's panel.

The one thing I really liked about MediaTemple was their support. They respond within minutes and are always very helpful.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
ChrisWB said:
MediaTemple has your account tied to one domain. Every domain underneath it is an add-on domain (a sub-domain that appears to be a unique domain). This would be fine, but they do not let you create email addresses for any domain but the one tied to the account. This means that I could not have an email address for both my website and my father's. Stupid.

I don't think this is the case anymore with their GS hosting.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I've been using ASmallOrange for 2 years(?) now and have had nothing but great experiences with them!

Rare

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2006
Manchester, UK
radiantm3 said:
I don't think this is the case anymore with their GS hosting.

Yep you are correct. GS lets you have multiple domains. MediaTemple's idea behind GS is excellent, there are so many shared hosts *cough* dreamhost *cough* that provide great features, great prices but allow so much bad code to be run on their server's thus slowing them to a halt, much better if they are all load-balanced as in GS!

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
host

just host things myself using TDS Xdata service, and a mac OS X server running mail and linux running websites...

D

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
weldon said:
I moved all of my domains over to asmallorange after I read good reports here. I did some more research and the thing that worked really well for me is that ASO allows unlimited domain names to be parked on the account for no extra fee. I have some dormant hobby projects that I don't really want to pay hosting for, but still want to be able to get email at that domain. It works out well for me.

As for support, I needed some custom MX records so I could use Google for Domains email service (which is awesome, BTW) and they had me fixed up within the hour just the way I had wanted. I was really impressed. I won't be switching any time soon.

this is exactly the same as i have just done.

google email for all of my domains hosted with ASO!

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Rare said:
Yep you are correct. GS lets you have multiple domains. MediaTemple's idea behind GS is excellent, there are so many shared hosts *cough* dreamhost *cough* that provide great features, great prices but allow so much bad code to be run on their server's thus slowing them to a halt, much better if they are all load-balanced as in GS!

I'm in the process of switching my sites from dreamhost to MediaTemple (gs) and so far I'm very impressed. Last night, however, FTP seemed a bit sluggish, but today has picked up pretty well.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
mnkeybsness said:
I'm in the process of switching my sites from dreamhost to MediaTemple (gs) and so far I'm very impressed. Last night, however, FTP seemed a bit sluggish, but today has picked up pretty well.
I'll be doing this in the coming weeks as well.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
I have some questions about asmallorange if no one minds to answer:

1) When they say unlimited addon domains, will these domains be given full features? As in, I will have email accounts and such for every addon domain, just like my primary one? I see that you have answered this question above

2) Can the MySQL databases have your fully customizable names? As in, if I want my database name to be JACKBAUER will it be so, or will I have to use a prefix and then my desired name, like godis_JACKBAUER

3) Also, for the MySQL databases will I be able to set a unique username AND password for each one, or will there be prefixes for the username?

4) Are there query limits on the mysql databases?

If anyone can answer any of these questions, that would be awesome.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
ASO is all i know, and all i'll ever use. What amazes me is how their tech support will respond to you within minutes, litereally, any time of the day. Last month at 3 in the morning i decided I wanted to upgrade my account and they sent me a response in less than 60 seconds. I was sure it was an automated response until I read it.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
mrzeve: your databases and mysql db users will be prefixed by your account name, if you're on one of their shared servers -- that's pretty standard across hosting companies. don't know if they limit MySQL queries. go ask on their pre-sales forum, i'm sure they'll be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.