PDA

View Full Version : Why are 12" Powerbooks still so expensive?

joe50000
Oct 24, 2006, 02:21 AM
I just got an iMac and now i'm looking for a good portable system to take with me on the go. Nothing too fancy, so I was looking at the old 12" Powerbook. why are they still so expensive on the aftermarket? with the release of the new Macbook and updates the to Macbook Pro line as well as the intel transition, I would have thought the price of a used Powerbook would have dropped well into the $500-$800 range. Is there a reason why they're still so expensive? are they particularly coveted?

Chundles
Oct 24, 2006, 02:26 AM
I just got an iMac and now i'm looking for a good portable system to take with me on the go. Nothing too fancy, so I was looking at the old 12" Powerbook. why are they still so expensive on the aftermarket? with the release of the new Macbook and updates the to Macbook Pro line as well as the intel transition, I would have thought the price of a used Powerbook would have dropped well into the $500-$800 range. Is there a reason why they're still so expensive? are they particularly coveted?

Well, they're still the smallest portables Apple released, even the MacBook can't touch it for ease of carrying - they make my 12" iBook look chunky.

FFTT
Oct 24, 2006, 02:33 AM
The 12" PowerBook is still highly prized for portability and good if not great
performance on most PPC applications. They also have that professional look for presentations.

Many owners also have a desktop in their home or office, so the PowerBook
still does what most people use a portable for.

erikamsterdam
Oct 24, 2006, 02:44 AM
with the release of the new Macbook and updates the to Macbook Pro line as well as the intel transition, I would have thought the price of a used Powerbook would have dropped well into the $500-$800 range.

You hit the nail right on the head there. Just buy a Macbook. That extra inch is not going to kill you and the 1280 width is so much nicer than 1024. Also, the MB has a far better screen than the old PB screen, which was outdated already when it was still sold.

joe50000
Oct 24, 2006, 03:00 AM
You hit the nail right on the head there. Just buy a Macbook. That extra inch is not going to kill you and the 1280 width is so much nicer than 1024. Also, the MB has a far better screen than the old PB screen, which was outdated already when it was still sold.

Yeah, I heard about those screen issues, how it wasn't 180-degree viewable and was quite dark. Still, the Powerbook's design and features are still attractive to me - esp. the illuminated keyboard, which is good for class because some classrooms i'm in turn the lights out for presentations. I was considering getting a low-end macbook early next year. Hopefully by then it'll have Leopard, 1 gig of ram, and a superdrive standard.

Chundles
Oct 24, 2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah, I heard about those screen issues, how it wasn't 180-degree viewable and was quite dark. Still, the Powerbook's design and features are still attractive to me - esp. the illuminated keyboard, which is good for class because some classrooms i'm in turn the lights out for presentations. I was considering getting a low-end macbook early next year. Hopefully by then it'll have Leopard, 1 gig of ram, and a superdrive standard.

The 12" PowerBook doesn't have an illuminated keyboard. It's really just a slightly more capable 12" iBook. It was left behind in January '05 when it was last updated before it was replaced by the MacBook this year. Even the final revision of the iBook had a faster (albeit smaller) graphics card and could hold more RAM.

telecomm
Oct 24, 2006, 04:05 AM
Is there a reason why they're still so expensive? are they particularly coveted?

Mine is. :D

Going into my third year with my 12" PB, I'm still really happy with it. It's certainly not as fast as a new MacBook, but its performance still meets my needs, it still looks great, and it's a really convenient size. So, were I to sell it, I'd probably overcharge. :D

thworple
Oct 24, 2006, 04:32 AM
My 12" Powerbook has just celebrated its 2nd birthday, and its still going strong. Its the best computer purchase I've ever made, and when I get my new MacPro soon it will still have pride of place on my desk. Its also become my girlfriend's computer of choice, and if I ever do stop using it, it will remain with her. Because its the smallest laptop Apple made, it could well end up being something of a collectors item in years to come!

Tymmz
Oct 24, 2006, 04:38 AM
When it comes to portability the 12'' PB is unbeatable.

I hope mine will last me a long, long time.

extraextra
Oct 24, 2006, 10:26 AM
It's small and gorgeous. The Macbook doesn't even come close to it, for me. (ignoring the specs, obviously :p )

California
Oct 24, 2006, 10:32 AM
Well I bought a brand NEW 12" Powerbook in August. So that tells you that they aren't that out of date. In fact, mine was manufactuered in March of 2006. And they are the smallest and most elegant Powerbooks ever made.

In fact, they are the smallest and lightest laptops Apple has ever made. LOVE MINE!

njmac
Oct 24, 2006, 10:39 AM
I <3 my 12" Powerbook. My PB is 4 years old this month (rev. b) and still going strong. I hope to have it for a few more years.

MattyMac
Oct 24, 2006, 10:45 AM
Because they are flippin Sweeeeeeeet!

I love mine so much...so small and sleek and it makes it more awesome that it is the smallest portable made by apple out there!

Xeem
Oct 24, 2006, 11:53 AM
The 12" PowerBook doesn't have an illuminated keyboard. It's really just a slightly more capable 12" iBook. It was left behind in January '05 when it was last updated before it was replaced by the MacBook this year. Even the final revision of the iBook had a faster (albeit smaller) graphics card and could hold more RAM.

That's why I bought a 12" iBook instead of a Powerbook last year. It was just as powerful overall (the Radeon 9550, even at 32MB, was capable of making up the slight processor difference in many applications), and wasn't much bigger than the 12" PB. Here are the specs from Apple's Mexican website (the numbers on the left are the iBook):

Height: 1.35 inches (3.4 cm) vs. 1.18" PB
Width: 11.2 inches (28.5 cm) vs. 10.9" PB
Depth: 9.06 inches (23.0 cm) vs. 8.6" PB
Weight: 4.9 pounds (2.2 kg vs. 4.6 lb. PB

Killyp
Oct 24, 2006, 12:00 PM
That's why I bought a 12" iBook instead of a Powerbook last year. It was just as powerful overall (the Radeon 9550, even at 32MB, was capable of making up the slight processor difference in many applications), and wasn't much bigger than the 12" PB. Here are the specs from Apple's Mexican website (the numbers on the left are the iBook):

Height: 1.35 inches (3.4 cm) vs. 1.18" PB
Width: 11.2 inches (28.5 cm) vs. 10.9" PB
Depth: 9.06 inches (23.0 cm) vs. 8.6" PB
Weight: 4.9 pounds (2.2 kg vs. 4.6 lb. PB

The PowerBook was overall more compact though. It can even fit into my english folder (I don't have one, but I have a friend who has one). Fits in perfectly like a thick wad of paper.

MattyMac
Oct 24, 2006, 12:05 PM
The PowerBook was overall more compact though. It can even fit into my english folder (I don't have one, but I have a friend who has one). Fits in perfectly like a thick wad of paper.
...and the silver is way more classy.

mkrishnan
Oct 24, 2006, 12:06 PM

I'm really tempted by this logic, but then... I just received my replacement iBook battery, and ... giving up 6.5 hours of battery life with the screen turned down and the wireless off is going to be soooo hard. :(

telecomm
Oct 24, 2006, 12:32 PM
I <3 my 12" Powerbook. My PB is 4 years old this month (rev. b) and still going strong. I hope to have it for a few more years.

If it's a Rev. B 12" it's only 3 years old, even if it's a Rev. A it'd only be 3.5 years old.

nmamur
Oct 24, 2006, 01:02 PM
i love mine to death.
once i got my 15 MBP i really began to appreciate the size and portability.
and for those people who chose the ibooks over the pb, i would definitely disagree.
My girlfriend and i bought our comps together(mine a pb, and her's, an ibook), and she envies me soooo much. My powerbook is only a little better than hers, but the sleekness of the silver and the overall compactness of it is surely worth the extra 300(i think) i paid.
If looks are what your going for(if you want an apple, than it probably factors into your decision) there is no competition.
As for the price on ebay, i can see how there still so much as they are now extinct.
when it was time to get a MBP i wished soooo badly for a 13 inch model. I don't totally want a 15 inch laptop but if i wanted the silver enclosure that doesnt scratch as easily as that white garbage on the macbook(black looks ugly) i was forced to buy the 15 incher.
i absolutely hate the macbook inclosure(my girlfriend's ibook looks like crap after about 2 years).

MistaBungle
Oct 24, 2006, 01:07 PM
I really do love mine. So sleek and adorable. When other people see it they get this 'whoa, that's pretty' type look on their face and I know that they want one. But then once they find out that it doesn't run Windows, that kind of bursts their bubble.

erockerboy
Oct 24, 2006, 01:14 PM
It's all about supply and demand.... or simple lust :D

My biz partner has had the 12" PBook for awhile and I was always jealous of it.... it just made my 15" seem all bulky and clunky. So, I coughed up nearly $1K for a used one on eBay this last week.

Guess I'm part of the problem :D

aliasfox
Oct 24, 2006, 02:07 PM
I have my own Rev A that'll be going into surgery this week (new bottom case, DVD burner, screen-latch assembly, battery) that I plan on keeping and using long after I have to return my Rev D (lent from work).

It's almost the same footprint as a sheet of paper - a MacBook can't even come close in terms of size. That amazing keyboard - MacBooks are nice, but I can type faster on the PowerBook keyboard. The screen isn't great, but I usually have it turned down quite low on battery power anyway.

Of course, it's not all perfect - the baby PowerBook was always plagued with an underpowered graphics card, low RAM ceiling, and tinny speakers. Never given the top processor, it was always in the shadows cast by its bigger brothers and often barely a step ahead of the iBook. Not to mention the early build issues with warped cases. An iBook can fall off a table and still look like it's showroom material, a PowerBook's crumple zones don't afford that level of protection.

Doesn't matter. until Apple puts an Intel processor and a real graphics card into a 12" chassis, you can pry my 12" machines from my cold, dead, fingers. $1000 ain't enough to take it from me!

(I also have a Cube and an iMac G4, so I appreciate Apple industrial design at its finest, even if it is flawed in some way or another)

Fukui
Oct 24, 2006, 02:29 PM
(I also have a Cube and an iMac G4, so I appreciate Apple industrial design at its finest, even if it is flawed in some way or another)
Oh, what I would give for a Core 2 Duo powered iMac (G4).... the best designed computer ever.

P.S I also have a 12" PB and love it 2 death. (1.25 GB Ram, 1.5 Ghz G4)

YS2003
Oct 24, 2006, 02:40 PM
I bought my 12" PB in March 2005 as my portable computer. But, I ended up liking it too much. So, I had to buy a 12" iBook so that I don't have to make my 12" PB subject to the potential daily hazard as it travels with me on the road. Even though I bought it to be a portable unit, it ended up staying close to desk. Good thing is it can drive 20" ACD without any problem.

miniguu
Oct 24, 2006, 03:45 PM
I have a Rev D 1.5 ghz/80g/1.25gb that I'll let go for $500 :)

The reason is that it has a small dent behind the power port. PM if interested.

(edited error in specs!)

TDM21
Oct 24, 2006, 04:07 PM
Basically everybody is saying the same thing: People just love the 12" PB. Think of us like the people who own Cubes, we're a bit crazy and will only replace our PBs when something just like it, only better comes along.

I've owned my PB since June '04 and I must say its perfect for college (after you hook it up to an external monitor). The 12" PB is small and light enough to be carried in a backpack, but you when you need the power its there. That and the 4 hours of battery life isn't bad.

doctor pangloss
Oct 24, 2006, 04:11 PM
That's a good deal.
I love mine. It's got a couple of dents but it just keeps humming along.
By the time this one wears out they will have something new and slick to replace it.

2ms
Oct 24, 2006, 05:39 PM
Did Apple or anyone ever offer any kind of reason why they stopped making a 12" pro notebook? I agree the MacBook is awesome but it doesnt have that sveltness that is so sexy in a secondary/relatively occasional use portable. If the reason was something like that it didnt sell worth a damn then that is bad news. If it is that the Intel platform runs too hot for such a small platform then perhaps it wont be long before it comes back as the CPUs get more and more efficient (smaller process, lower voltage, etc that usually comes w time on new platform).

Unfortunately, given that there appear to be several ultrap-portable Core2 notebook out there in Windows world right now, I fear the explanation might be the former.

Anyone, have any info on when a new ultra-portable Apple notebook might come around again?

EricChunky
Oct 24, 2006, 06:02 PM
Did Apple or anyone ever offer any kind of reason why they stopped making a 12" pro notebook? I agree the MacBook is awesome but it doesnt have that sveltness that is so sexy in a secondary/relatively occasional use portable. If the reason was something like that it didnt sell worth a damn then that is bad news. If it is that the Intel platform runs too hot for such a small platform then perhaps it wont be long before it comes back as the CPUs get more and more efficient (smaller process, lower voltage, etc that usually comes w time on new platform).

Unfortunately, given that there appear to be several ultrap-portable Core2 notebook out there in Windows world right now, I fear the explanation might be the former.

Anyone, have any info on when a new ultra-portable Apple notebook might come around again?

Apple's industrial design technique is not as good as many have thought... look at the Macbook pro, it's much hotter (in terms of temperature :p) than most of its PC conterparts.

aliasfox
Oct 24, 2006, 06:12 PM
MacBook Pros are essentially designed to be hotter than the competition - it's thin and made of metal, so the heat dissipates across most of the lower casing. If it were thicker, Apple could use plastic (more insulating) and there'd be more airflow.

joe50000
Oct 25, 2006, 01:04 AM
Actually the problem was that the 12" powerbook sold too well and they were afraid of cannibalizing their sales of the ibook. As it stands right now the macbook is probably the smallest they'll go because of the move to widescreens on all macs.

2ms
Oct 25, 2006, 02:30 AM
why would cannibalizing sales of a cheaper model be bad? That can't be. Are you serious?

CrackedButter
Oct 25, 2006, 07:44 AM
I recently bought a 12"PB off ebay. Revision D. I wanted it because of its size and power. As others have said, nothing beats it. I also don't know why people are talking down the screen on the 12"PB. Its amazing and the gloss versions of the MB are not as good in my opinion. I need Matte anyway for my work. I never have the 12"PB at full brightness either because its so good.

2 Girls were in uni today with their brand new MB's. I asked if I could hold one of them and boy are the heavier than the 12"PB, i'm glad I didn't get one after all. It is thin though and thats nice.

With regard to the 13" MB. I think its trying to be a very portable machine but it has to balance that ability with a reasonable screen size. The 12"PB accepted its role as a true portable and is of course the smallest laptop Apple has ever made.

joe50000
Oct 25, 2006, 09:53 AM
why would cannibalizing sales of a cheaper model be bad? That can't be. Are you serious?

The ibook wasn't a "cheaper" model per se just a different one, and the 12" powerbook seemed like an odd fit for their model line. Apple still sells their consumer laptops for a profit and they're an important part of their sales.

njmac
Oct 25, 2006, 09:55 AM
If it's a Rev. B 12" it's only 3 years old, even if it's a Rev. A it'd only be 3.5 years old.

oops... your right. I just checked my receipt and I bought it in October 2003, not October 2002. So its exactly 3 years old :) :o

IJ Reilly
Oct 25, 2006, 10:17 AM
Apple has been rumored to be considering adding a sub-notebook to the lineup, so this could well be the reason why the 12" model was not duplicated by the MacBook line. I hope Apple realizes that many 12" PowerBook owners are not jumping to a new MacBook because we prize compactness and light weight. If anybody can do a sub right, it's Apple. Here's hoping.

John Jacob
Oct 25, 2006, 10:56 AM
Ha, looks like I have the oldest 12" PB in this thread. I have a Rev A, 867 MHz 1.12 GB RAM purchased in May 2003. I will replace it with a new Apple portable Mac the day Apple makes a 13" or smaller ultrathin ultralight ultraportable (while the current MacBooks are great machines, they simply aren't small enough). If they never do that, you can pry my PB out of my cold, dead fingers.

EDIT: Woot! 100 posts!! I'm a regular!!! :D

techster85
Oct 25, 2006, 11:07 AM
what revision number would my PB be if I bought it in February 2005? It is the 1.5 ghz...

mkrishnan
Oct 25, 2006, 11:41 AM
what revision number would my PB be if I bought it in February 2005? It is the 1.5 ghz...

I think that makes it "C", doesn't it? They went up to "D", but only for the 15/17, I think.

sikkinixx
Oct 25, 2006, 12:00 PM
I sold my 12"pb when the macbooks came out. I love my macbook, even if it has been a pain, it is way faster, much brighter and nicer screen, thinner, etc... but damn i miss my powerbook so much... I was a fool to sell it. I should have kept it, bought the extra Apple care and got an iMac for home use...

CrackedButter
Oct 25, 2006, 12:47 PM
Apple has been rumored to be considering adding a sub-notebook to the lineup, so this could well be the reason why the 12" model was not duplicated by the MacBook line. I hope Apple realizes that many 12" PowerBook owners are not jumping to a new MacBook because we prize compactness and light weight. If anybody can do a sub right, it's Apple. Here's hoping.

To be honest, Apple never really did the 12"PB right anyway so I don't have high hopes for a new one.

When they were selling the 12"PB's we were always bitching about the fact that the processor wasn't as fast as the other models or the 12" was missing this or that feature. We would bitch that Apple should include FW800 and they should realise that people who buy machines for portability shouldn't be forced to get the bigger laptop simply for more features.

But I want Apple to prove me wrong on this if they do another smaller notebook.

dpaanlka
Oct 25, 2006, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the used Mac world. Macs take forever to depreciate compared to how fast PCs do.

IJ Reilly
Oct 25, 2006, 01:17 PM
To be honest, Apple never really did the 12"PB right anyway so I don't have high hopes for a new one.

When they were selling the 12"PB's we were always bitching about the fact that the processor wasn't as fast as the other models or the 12" was missing this or that feature. We would bitch that Apple should include FW800 and they should realise that people who buy machines for portability shouldn't be forced to get the bigger laptop simply for more features.

But I want Apple to prove me wrong on this if they do another smaller notebook.

Personally, I never bitched about any of these things. The smaller form-factor was always my top priority, and continues to be. If Apple does do another sub-notebook, I'll be far more interested in dimensions and weight than features and speed.

CrackedButter
Oct 25, 2006, 03:18 PM
Personally, I never bitched about any of these things. The smaller form-factor was always my top priority, and continues to be. If Apple does do another sub-notebook, I'll be far more interested in dimensions and weight than features and speed.

I had a iBook or an eMac at the time so I didn't care and I don't care now since I wanted to buy one based on the same criteria as you just stated. But I'm just saying, that was the general attitude on these boards. I didn't mean for anyone to take offense.

deputy_doofy
Oct 25, 2006, 03:30 PM
I still love my PB 12" 1GHz. It's extremely portable, yet has just enough power to do stuff. In fact, many PC people over the last 3 years have been surprised to find out that it was only 1GHz. Let's face it. A 1GHz Pentium was never as impressive as the G4 (of the same frequency) and a 1 GHz Celeron was even worse. To this day, my PB w/512mb RAM still beats PC's w/2.4GHz Celerons and 768mb RAM.
Now I have a new 15" Glossy MacBook Pro coming to me (C2D 2.33, 2gb RAM, etc.). I have little experience with the glossy screen, but I'm willing to chance it. They always look cool to me in stores. The PB 12" will soon go to the little lady. :)

lmalave
Oct 25, 2006, 03:46 PM
As it stands right now the macbook is probably the smallest they'll go because of the move to widescreens on all macs.
Not necessarily. I could see Apple making a 10.6" widescreen MacBook nano. My dream would be a 10.6" MacBook nano in the nano metallic finishes. That would be the only thing that would make me want to sell my MacBook (or give it to my mom).

EDIT: even though the screen would be a lot smaller, I would still like to see resolutions comparable to the MacBook. Maybe 1120 x 700?

IJ Reilly
Oct 25, 2006, 03:55 PM
I had a iBook or an eMac at the time so I didn't care and I don't care now since I wanted to buy one based on the same criteria as you just stated. But I'm just saying, that was the general attitude on these boards. I didn't mean for anyone to take offense.

Don't worry, I'm not offended.

I think it's apparent from the comments in this thread, and the high resale value, that the 12" PowerBook was (is) much appreciated, no matter how some people may have responded to it at the time.

QuarterSwede
Oct 25, 2006, 05:01 PM
I bought my Rev C. 1.5GHz 12" in May of 2005 and absolutely love it. Even a friend of mine with a 15" PB loves the portability of my 12". He actually considered swapping mine for his (I would like more screen real-estate ) but I wouldn't let him.

CrackedButter
Oct 25, 2006, 05:20 PM
Don't worry, I'm not offended.

I think it's apparent from the comments in this thread, and the high resale value, that the 12" PowerBook was (is) much appreciated, no matter how some people may have responded to it at the time.

I wonder if this attitude was the same for the cube in its heyday?

IJ Reilly
Oct 25, 2006, 05:52 PM
I wonder if this attitude was the same for the cube in its heyday?

Good point. Yes, I think you've got a good analogy there.

I've got both a Cube and a 12" PowerBook. Not sure what that says about me. ;)

dpaanlka
Oct 25, 2006, 06:21 PM
Good point. Yes, I think you've got a good analogy there.

I see 12" PowerBooks all over the place though, unlike Cubes.

I think what it really indicates is that the opinions expressed on the Mac web do not accurately represent the wider public.

playm0de
Oct 25, 2006, 06:28 PM
As a recent buyer of a 12 inch pb, I can say they are awesome. My only problem with it is the screen is a little dim.

IJ Reilly
Oct 25, 2006, 06:30 PM
I see 12" PowerBooks all over the place though, unlike Cubes.

I think what it really indicates is that the opinions expressed on the Mac web do not accurately represent the wider public.

I'm not in the habit of hauling my Cube around in my briefcase, but that's not really the point. The point was some Apple products are greeted with some amount of B&M-ing when they come out, only to be appreciated later.

But I do agree with your second statement. This is a tough crowd. :)

iLunar
Oct 25, 2006, 07:27 PM
I love my 12" Powerbook, and I am not giving it up for a new MB or MBP anytime soon, that is, until Apple releases a smaller notebook in the Intel line.

I bought my Dad a Macbook, and it is a really nice machine. I love everything about it, but it doesn't compare to the portability of my 12" Powerbook. This little machine has done everything I've needed with good power.

Apple, release a 12" Pro machine, damnit! :p

TDM21
Oct 25, 2006, 08:12 PM
I think that makes it "C", doesn't it? They went up to "D", but only for the 15/17, I think.

The 12" PB went through 4 revisions in its lifetime:
Rev A: 867 MHz, 256MB ram, Geforce 420Go, VGA out, USB1.1
Rev B: 1 GHz, 256MB ram, Geforce Go5200 32mb VRAM, DVI out, USB2.0
Rev C: 1.33 GHz, 256MB ram, Geforce Go5200 64mb VRAM, DVI, USB 2.0
Rev D: 1.5 GHz, 512MB ram, rest same as Rev C

The 15/17 PB got one more revision where the screen resolution was increased and DDR2 was incorporated.

Of course there were other minor upgrades in there as well. Wireless and Bluetooth were made standard and the Rev D got two finger scrolling and Bluetooth 2.0

coffey7
Oct 25, 2006, 11:15 PM
Just buy the macbook.

YS2003
Nov 21, 2006, 08:22 AM
To those who are using 12" PB on the daily basis, how long are you going to keep it? I would also like to ask this to the people who take 12" PB on the road on the regular basis (almost a daily basis). Is it holding up well in terms of reliability and appearance (scratches/dent issues)?

miniguu
Nov 21, 2006, 08:26 AM
I've used mine on an almost daily basis for 18 months, just toting to school and word processing.

Mine incurred a dent when my bag strap broke, but is still chugging along like a champ :) I have some scratches, but they are really minimal and kind of inevitable really. I'm hoping my new MBP will hold up as well.

I'm trying to sell mine, but prices on Macrumors seem kinda low compared to Ebay.

Sdashiki
Nov 21, 2006, 08:28 AM
i want to buy broken/damaged 12" lappys...

imacintel
Nov 21, 2006, 08:37 AM
To answer the OPs question:

They are not made, but they aren't quite outdated.They are still powerful machines, with a good processor. They are also one of Apple's most reliable PowerBooks, with a very small defect history. They are so compact and light, I think its worth it. I just bought a used Powerbook 12 inch and it is wondeful. It is so light, and it is really tiny. Really a well built, compact, nice looking machine.

carman63
Nov 21, 2006, 08:39 AM
I'm looking to sell my 12" PB. RevA I'm guessing (bought in Fall 2003, 1GHz, 40GB HDD, 1.25GB RAM, CD Combo). Haven't decided what to ask, but it'll probably be in the $500 range and go from there.

It's served me well, but I've got the upgrade itch ;)

mariahlullaby
Nov 21, 2006, 08:44 AM
I personally love my 12 inch PowerBook. It's a Rev D that I bought in the spring of 2005. It's hooked up to my 23 inch ACD and runs Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iMovie, etc. when I need it to. And the small footprint is just amazing.

However, I would love to upgrade. The 1.25 GB of RAM just isn't enough sometimes, and I would love my machine to FLY. The battery lasts about 2 hours...maybe.

I keep going to the Apple Store looking at the new models, wanting to upgrade, but nothing at the moment beats my PB. I really hate the look of the MacBooks and I have never enjoyed using any of my friends'. The trackpad is TOO big and somewhat unresponsive, the keyboard looks cartoon-y, and I miss having a latch.

What about the MacBook Pro? Well, I do love it, but I am waiting for all my apps to go Universal before I make that purchase, or at least until Leopard comes out. Still, I wish they made a 12 inch model.

At the moment, nothing beats it!

Zimmy
Nov 21, 2006, 08:49 AM
I got a Rev A, 887Mhz 640mb Ram, and i love it too bits, does almost everything i want it to do. i'll prob update to a blackbook, sometime next year, think its about time i have a beastier machine, though if a smaller MBP comes out tomorrow i will be 1st inline to get one..

till then, my and my powerbook will keep doing what we do..

Zim

failsafe1
Nov 21, 2006, 08:54 AM
I was discussing portability on another thread and this laptop can't be beat. I travel with a 15 Powerbook and wish it were a 12. I use the 15 at home for my primary machine and can't justify two. You pay a premium for a nice discontinued item that really fills a niche. The old you got it and I want it. If Apple were to humor all us nuts who want the best in the smallest package and come out with a MBP in the 12 range the old 12 books would drop. Until then....

RedTomato
Nov 21, 2006, 08:54 AM
I'm buying a c2d macbook soon to replace my 15'' PB which is starting to creak a bit. (and so I can run BootCamp/ Parallels).

However if anyone offered me a 12'' PB for a good price, I'd snatch it up in a flash as a second computer / travel laptop.

My brother brought a second hand 12'' PB about 5 months ago, and he's very happy with it. (tho he dropped it and dented some of the metal.)

His PB seems almost polished compared to mine, and it's much more slippery (fell out of it's sleeve while he was holding it horizontally). Are your 12'' PBs slippery / polished compared to other people's 15'' PBs?

Finally, Intel are expected to release their ultra-low-voltage version of the Merom C2D chips (probably underclocked) on a variant of the Santa Rosa platform in or around April 2007.

2 or 3 months later, we *may* see it appear in a possible Apple subnotebook. That takes us up to about July 2007 for rev A and maybe september / october 2007 for rev b.

FFTT
Nov 21, 2006, 09:19 AM
I have to agree that a bit of patience may be well worth it if you can stand to
wait till spring-summer 2007.

Not only am I hoping to see a new ultra portable MBP, but I think eventually
we'll see a Quad Core MBP sooner than most people might be expecting one.

2008 is where things get really interesting with Octa-Core processors.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Logic Pro 8, ProTools 8 and a whole lot of other 8's in 2008.

Anything you buy now will still be working fine 2 years from now, but I'm sure we'll hear plenty of fuss from people who over invested in what's
out there now.

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 09:24 AM
Finally, Intel are expected to release their ultra-low-voltage version of the Merom C2D chips (probably underclocked) on a variant of the Santa Rosa platform in or around April 2007.

Not only that but there is a LV version of Merom due in January (full 4MB cahce etc). ULV is a little too hobbled for my liking with it's small cache and low clock speed(though would make a suprb basis for a 10.6 ultraportable mac).

I have two 12" powerbooks (rev a and c) and I'm a little torn between just settling on that black macbook I keep eyeing (the extra size might suit me) or waiting anoth two months for wwdc announcements.

FFTT
Nov 21, 2006, 09:46 AM
You guys over in the UK already get so hammered on these prices plus VAT, that it pays to be extra careful on your purchasing decisions.

I MUST buy my daughter a MacBook next month, so I can't wait, but if I was buying just for me, I would do so very conservatively unless you can afford
to upgrade again once things settle down a bit giving software developers some time to catch up to all these multi-core capabilities.

That being said, if I was fortunate enough to own a 12" PowerBook, I'd keep it.

IJ Reilly
Nov 21, 2006, 10:10 AM
Repeating some of the sentiments expressed above, I'm going to hang onto my revA 12" PowerBook 867 until Apple comes out with a replacement in this size range. Mine is in very good condition. No dents, only a few light scratches. The only wear I've noticed after about three years of use (not daily) is some dimming of the display. Otherwise it still works great for Keynote presentations, which is its main task.

YS2003
Nov 21, 2006, 11:05 AM
It is good to hear so many positive comments on actual users' experience with 12" PB. So, it seems 12" PB is as sturdy as 12" iBook to be used as a daily computer (at home and outside). I might as well sell my iBook now and use my 12" PB as my daily computer (meaning it comes with me at work).

ChrisA
Nov 21, 2006, 11:49 AM
I... Why are they still so expensive on the aftermarket?

Supply and demand. Not many sellers compare to the huge number of buyers who want an Apple but can't afford anything new from Apple

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 12:11 PM
It is good to hear so many positive comments on actual users' experience with 12" PB. So, it seems 12" PB is as sturdy as 12" iBook to be used as a daily computer (at home and outside). I might as well sell my iBook now and use my 12" PB as my daily computer (meaning it comes with me at work).

I've been using a 12" powerbook as my main computer for 2.5 years. It goes in my bag to work, everywhere. It even goes to night clubs with me when I DJ. No probs at all.

Passante
Nov 21, 2006, 12:13 PM
Just watch out for the 80 gig Toshiba drives. Lots of failures.

Otherwise a great and true LAPTOP. Not a notebook!

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 12:15 PM

Yes, I had one that failed (a 5400rpm toshiba 80G).

thejadedmonkey
Nov 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
My friend has a 12" PB.. I mean I've got a 14.1" laptop that I use as my main computer, but as a 2nd computer, damn that thing was nice. Now that I'm at uni, I can really see how a 15" is too big.. and that MacBook is just.. I don't like it at all. Nice, yes.. and I'd buy it over a 15" (due to size and price) but if Apple could just release a 12" laptop with an external CD-drive (maybe firewire400 extension?) I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Thin, Light, a long Battery, and Aluminum. :)

Edit:

heck, why not just forgo a media bay all together, give it one of those new PCMCIA slots (you all know what I mean) integrated graphics, and make it a hybrid tablet/notebook. Instead of a rotating hinge like Toshiba uses, why not just have the screen flip over to the bottom of the notebook, and the keyboard would be on the bottom while it's in tablet mode, and deactivated to prevent accidental touches.

Ok, what it comes down to is gateway made me a (very reliable) sub-1" laptop weighing just 4.35lbs 3 years ago (almost to the day), and I'm still waiting for apple to make me one today.

Ok. so maybe I don't know what I'm trying to say.

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 12:23 PM
My friend has a 12" PB.. I mean I've got a 14.1" laptop that I use as my main computer, but as a 2nd computer, damn that thing was nice. Now that I'm at uni, I can really see how a 15" is too big.. and that MacBook is just.. I don't like it at all. Nice, yes.. and I'd buy it over a 15" (due to size and price) but if Apple could just release a 12" laptop with an external CD-drive (maybe firewire400 extension?) I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Thin, Light, a long Battery, and Aluminum. :)

Yeah I agree. I'm close to getting a macbook but I'm not sure.....

California
Nov 21, 2006, 12:31 PM
Another note -- i dropped a 100gb 7200 laptop drive in my 1.5ghz 12" PB and maxed out the ram. Fast little sucker now.

I dropped a 60gb 7200 laptop drive in my mom's 867mhz 12" PB and it is great too. The faster drives really improve performance. The 12" PB is the coolest lappie Apple ever made.

YS2003
Nov 21, 2006, 12:41 PM

Otherwise a great and true LAPTOP. Not a notebook!
Agree, 12" PB can be called "Laptop." I got used to be "Technologically Correct"(politically correct version for techies) when I call portable computers as "notebook" as most of the recent portables are too hot to be put on your lap.
My PBs have Fujitsu drive (not Toshiba's). So, that would be a good sign, I believe.

AppleIntelRock
Nov 21, 2006, 01:25 PM
There is something to be said for a 12" anodized aluminum, full-featured notebook. And a price to match. Personally, I just moved from a 17" MBP to a Blacbook and am 150% happy with how portable it is.

CrackedButter
Nov 21, 2006, 01:35 PM
Another note -- i dropped a 100gb 7200 laptop drive in my 1.5ghz 12" PB and maxed out the ram. Fast little sucker now.

I dropped a 60gb 7200 laptop drive in my mom's 867mhz 12" PB and it is great too. The faster drives really improve performance. The 12" PB is the coolest lappie Apple ever made.

I just bought a 19 inch external screen for my 12" PB. But my next upgrade is a new faster 7200rpm Hard Drive.

GreatDrok
Nov 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
I was just issued with a 12" PB rev D machine by work and am using it now. I had been using my own 15" MBP for work for a while but it wasn't very satisfactory to be supplying my own hardware.

Performance is pretty good actually, it only has 768MB of RAM but does have the optional 100GB drive which is nice. The whole feel of the machine can't easily be described. The keyboard is the same feel as my MBP but there is just this great compactness. The screen is not as bright as my MBP but I have been able to get it looking pretty good after using SuperCal.

I never understood the attraction until now, but after my first day with it, and having used it for a presentation this morning, I am really learning to appreciate the design. Best of all, it just received a brand new replacement battery from Apple :D