Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacOSRumors reports that the next major revision of Mac OS X may supply a frequently requested feature:

Panther, the new version of OS X that will be previewed at WWDC in June, may well be the first version of Apple's modern operating system that allows multiple simultaneous graphical user logins.

Presently, only one user may be logged into Mac OS X under a graphical user interface. This feature could be used in rumored "thin clients" such as the rumored Tablet Mac -- providing remote login and use.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Q

The way I understand it, macosrumors isn't exactly the most trustworthy site. They seem to assume that a tablet is coming for sure though.
max

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I never used this feature in XP, and I always used to disable it. Now that I've switched, I definitely don't miss it, but a lot of friends have asked how they can log in without logging me out, so I suppose there is some demand for it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
sorry to be dumb. but what exactly does this allow someone to do? how would it be used? etc....

thanks

It lets multiple users all be logged into OS X at the same time, so person A can be using the system then leave to go do something, then person B comes along and logs in, runs their programs etc, then when they've finished they can log back out, and when person A comes back, everything will still be running as it was, like person B had never been there. Not a very good description but hopefully you can follow it!

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I would definately like it. It would keep my dad or brother from logging me out, and wiping out my work when I'm not using the computer. It'll also be much more safer if my roommate in college ever has to use my computer (which I'm hoping he never will have to...)

Hepper

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2003
Panther $$$

The last line of the MacOSRumors article reads. "Panther is shaping up to be well worth the upgrade price."

What ever happened to one free, one pay.... I wonder if this is idle speculation or fact.

Adam

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Re: Panther $$$

Originally posted by Hepper
The last line of the MacOSRumors article reads. "Panther is shaping up to be well worth the upgrade price."

What ever happened to one free, one pay.... I wonder if this is idle speculation or fact.

Adam

Whoever said that Apple would adopt a one free, one pay pricing scheme? 10.1 was only free because 10.0 was admittedly a beta quality product. 10.1 was a perfectly acceptable "1.0" product, which is why Jaguar was a pay-for upgrade, and why Panther will likely also be a paid upgrade.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I'm picturing Apple making cheaper thin machines stripped of a HD and most features... Could be a simple little unit. Have them be powered by an xserve... *drools*

if it was cross-platform, i could hook into the system at work! :)

pnw

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
This simply sounds like a XWindows feature where one machine serves graphical information back to the client as well as doing the majority of the computing. Remote terminals aren't all that unusual in the world of big machines. When you're using a computer at a bank or a hospital, it generally isn't doing the processing. It's only a terminal device, graphical or green screen.

daytona63

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA
Just a thought...

I think this would be a great idea for the Mac OS, I just hope that it doesn't suck away too many resources, like memory and such. If they can make it totally transparent, that would be awesome. However...

I'm by no means a troll, but...why don't I hear anything like "Apple's stealing that idea from Microsoft," like with other topics like piles? Granted, for all I know Microsoft didn't invent it, but I'm just saying...

I do think that Apple will make it better though, so while they may not have "invented" it, they'll innovate.

wheezl

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2002
From the sysadmin's point of view (that's me). This doesn't sound like something for average folks running session without someone else logging out. (though I bet you'll be able to use it that way) You take the addition of the rumored tablet and it sounds like a nifty way to run thin clients off of a few Xserve boxes. So rather than buy everyone in the customer service a $2000 PowerMac (or whatever) you get "low cost" station for each user. It's also generally a nicer quiet work environment (no fans) and easier to administer large groups of users in such situations. Apple would sure sell a hell of a lot more of those than a silly tablet you are supposed to use on your couch.

I *sure* hope it works out that way anyway :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by bousozoku
This simply sounds like a XWindows feature where one machine serves graphical information back to the client as well as doing the majority of the computing. Remote terminals aren't all that unusual in the world of big machines. When you're using a computer at a bank or a hospital, it generally isn't doing the processing. It's only a terminal device, graphical or green screen.

Of course it's the same thing, OS X is built on the UNIX standards for remote terminals. The majority of us just use it as a normal computer. Macs also support remote booting, and this is like a hybrid of the two. it would just be really nice if we could access the GUI as multiple users at once, just like the terminal... as people have mentioned above, it could also be used just like fat/thin clients...

pnw

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: Just a thought...

Originally posted by daytona63
I'm by no means a troll, but...why don't I hear anything like "Apple's stealing that idea from Microsoft," like with other topics like piles? Granted, for all I know Microsoft didn't invent it, but I'm just saying...

I do think that Apple will make it better though, so while they may not have "invented" it, they'll innovate.

Apple isn't stealing anything from Microsoft... that's why no one's saying it. This feature I'm sure has been implented elsewhere long ago, but I know for sure that is has been a feature of X-Windows (the "standard" graphical interface for UNIXes) since something like 1986 or 1987, well before Microsoft had a solidly-functioning GUI.

I know you meant your post as only an example, and Apple, you could say, is "stealing" the idea. This feature, though, is extremely handy and almost expected in modern OS's.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
One thing that I have always wished for was for me to be able to have dual sessions (even under the same account if willed) on two different screens on a dual-headed card, running independantly from one another. This way I would be able to make modifications as root on one screen and be a regular administrator on the other, or basically have 2 different machines if somebody else wanted to surf the web or type up something, while I was working on a project.

It may not be useful to everyone in that aspect, but it would to some users, and others could surely find their own ways to use it.

Of course, the OS would have to determine what mouse and keyboard goes to what session....

wheezl

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2002
Of course it's the same thing, OS X is built on the UNIX standards for remote terminals. The majority of us just use it as a normal computer. Macs also support remote booting, and this is like a hybrid of the two. it would just be really nice if we could access the GUI as multiple users at once, just like the terminal... as people have mentioned above, it could also be used just like fat/thin clients...

Well not *really* the same thing. And not actually related to remote booting in any way. And Aqua != X11 even though Apple's X11 integrates very nicely.

My guess is that this will be an Aqua Specific ARD based thing rather than any UNIX Standard or anything related to X11.

You are, in spirit, correct however.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
This is cool, one of the features of XP I actually like, useful when doing remote desktop from my Mac and such..

Oh, and this is from MacOSrumors?

I haven't seen something from them on the front page since Page 2 was created, this must have some credibility behind it!
attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.