PDA

View Full Version : If not now, then when will you upgrade from PowerBook to Mac Book Pro




bammac
Oct 25, 2006, 02:09 AM
Very curious to find out for all those that have a PowerBook, as to what are you holding out for in future versions of MacBook Pro's instead of purchasing the latest C2D Version today.

I was very impressed with the specs, but personally it's not enough for me to ditch my 18 month old PBG4.

For me what will tip the scales is:

- Waiting till my machine has reached the 2 year milestone, more so to reduce any buyers remorse of having a rapidly outclassed machine.
- Robson Cache: Really curious to see how this new technology will work. Who knows it may come to nothing, but I use potential technology as a way to prevent myself from rushing in every update!
- UXGA+ 1920x1080 on the 15.4" display. Especially with the possibility of "Resolution Independence" in Leopard. Dell does it, admittedly I have not seen a machine with that res in person.
- Possibility of design change?
- Possibility of Apple going with nvidia (GeForce Go 8xxx maybe on the horizon?) for it's graphic card's. Or even sticking with ATi but updating the card.
- Waiting till Leopard is released, that way I will not have to pay for the upgrade.

What about other current PowerBook owners out there? What will tip the scales for you?



jjmaximum
Oct 25, 2006, 03:02 AM
I've got a 2.5 year old PB 1.5 G4 w/ 1.5 Gb RAM, and will look to upgrade some time next year. It handles everything I need for now and as usual, the longer you can hold off, the better machine you get.

I pretty much agree with everything on your list. The 'free' OS upgrade being the most obvious reason to wait a few more months, and then by that time, more info will hopefully be available on what the next round of updates will bring.

Henri Gaudier
Oct 25, 2006, 03:13 AM
When they reduce the price by 500€!!

4np
Oct 25, 2006, 03:34 AM
Well, for me the money is not an option (I have done some freelance work and get a new MacBook Pro in return) so it does not cost me anything. Also, as I have a ADC membership I will hopefully get Leopard for free before the subscription ends (early March).

I am happy with the C2D, FW800, extra memory, bigger harddrives... However I have doubts because of:

-Robson / Santa Rosa
-802.11n being finalised (probably the 802.11n hardware is already present as in the Imac C2D)
-the GPU has not been upgraded; since jan the MacBook Pro has the X1600 GPU
-no 7200rpm harddrives?
-Blueray?

For the rest; brilliant machine and -according to apple- 7 times faster than my PB G4 ;)

chaosbunny
Oct 25, 2006, 03:43 AM
Until my pb does everything I throw at it just fine (Adobe CS2 & WoW), I'm not thinking of upgrading.

It's still a great machine + sometimes approximately once every month I still "need" classic.

Dalriada
Oct 25, 2006, 05:00 AM
I'm holding off upgrading until my PowerBook aka my precious will have given at least two years solid loyal service which likely will coincide with Leopard's appearance. Guess I'm also against more frequent upgrades in an effort to save our dear old Planet Earth ;)

- Dal

annk
Oct 25, 2006, 05:04 AM
My PB G4 has given me 2.5 years of great service, without a single problem. It does everything I want it to. Pro apps are a bit slow (I only have 1 GB RAM at the moment), but since the little I do with pro apps is only for fun and not for a living, I'm more than satisfied.

I will upgrade when it no longer works. :D

Nuc
Oct 25, 2006, 05:58 AM
I will be upgrading as soon as I can sell my PB on craigslist... I've actually been waiting for this upgrade and paid for a student ADC so the OS upgrade isn't that big of a deal since I will get it through ADC, granted not immediately at release however. To bad iLife '07 won't come with ADC though. Does anyone know if it does?

I've been wanting this to run parallels so that I can run some programs that I need for school instead of having to use my desktop at school...

Nuc

AlBDamned
Oct 25, 2006, 06:08 AM
If I was in the market for one, I'd definitely now consider a 2.33Ghz C2D 15" MBP to replace my last revision 15" PowerBook, much more so than I looked at the core duo model. The new models have pretty awesome specs.

However, software is an issue. Leopard (as other have said) will be a free upgrade in six months (or less) and I'm still slightly putt off by the lack of a native MS Office package and Adobe/Macromedia stuff.

I also wonder if a new chip set (Santa Rosa) could mean a new design ;)

Jay42
Oct 25, 2006, 06:09 AM
I have a 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook with 1.5 gigs of ram that's about a year and a half old. It's certainly fine for day to day tasks, and it can still handle Garageband, Photoshop, iPhoto just fine if you don't have them all open at once.

I'm thinking about getting either an iMac or a Mac Pro a year or so down the line for photos and music and keeping the PB for a portable. The stock 15" MBP seems pretty nice though even at $1999. 160gb hdd and 3gigs of ram would be nice. :D

Queso
Oct 25, 2006, 06:11 AM
I will only upgrade when it becomes clear my PowerBook is dying or dead. I have in it a perfectly usable laptop, so don't need another one.

TDM21
Oct 25, 2006, 06:23 AM
I don't plan on switching to an Intel system for at least 2 more years. For myself there is no reason to upgrade. My PB handles all the tasks I throw at it and if it can't I do the job on my PowerMac. The PB is used for traveling so I need the light weight design. The .6 pound difference of the MB is very noticeable when you pick the two machines up at the same time. Also I figure the Intel transition (software wise) will be finished and I won't have to worry about running applications under Rosetta.

oingoboingo
Oct 25, 2006, 06:43 AM
What about other current PowerBook owners out there? What will tip the scales for you?

I'll be waiting for the key applications Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite to be released as Universal Binaries before considering an Intel Mac of any type.

killmoms
Oct 25, 2006, 06:48 AM
The next Mac I buy will be a Mac Pro. Why? Because I need an expandable, upgradable powerhouse for my home. Now that I'm out of college, my need for a laptop has decreased dramatically, and the PowerBook is still quite suited for the sorts of tasks I do on-the-go—namely, web browsing, e-mail, word processing, and the like. So, probably, if the PowerBook eventually dies or just falls so far behind it's not useful anymore, I'll replace it with a regular MacBook, which is more than sufficient for mobile tasks as well (and is a bit smaller, if not dramatically lighter).

rotlex
Oct 25, 2006, 06:56 AM
When my current machine no longer suits my needs. :) Seriously, I see my existing hardware lasting me at least another year, maybe longer. Plus, as that point, we'll have even newer Macbooks, and of course, Leopard.

Ish
Oct 25, 2006, 07:07 AM
I have a 1.67 GHz Powerbook that's about 18 months old. I'll most likely wait until the first expensive repair after Applecare runs out! . . . or would it be better to sell it before then??

Assuming it meets my needs most of the time, which is best - to sell in about 6 months' time when there's still some guarantee with it, or to wait until it's worth nothing?

4np
Oct 25, 2006, 07:38 AM
To bad iLife '07 won't come with ADC though. Does anyone know if it does?

Nope; I have had an ADC membership for over 1.5 years now and I have never received iLife. I did receive several Panther/Tiger and development DVD's though...

mfacey
Oct 25, 2006, 07:45 AM
Mine is almost 2 years old now. Still works great.

I don't think I'd buy another one until they change the form factor again. I don't think I would like the idea of getting a totally new laptop that's looks practically identical to my current one.

So far everything still runs fine. Hoping that Leopard will be okay too. I doubt I'll be upgrading before OS 10.6 is released.

Compile 'em all
Oct 25, 2006, 08:43 AM
I will only upgrade when it becomes clear my PowerBook is dying or dead. I have in it a perfectly usable laptop, so don't need another one.

Ditto that. I have a 1.5 years old Pb and handles everything I throw at it just
fine. I won't upgrade just because there is a faster machine out there. I won't
as well upgrade if they change the mbp form factor.

I don't do any video/photoshop work so I need no xCore machine :D.

andiwm2003
Oct 25, 2006, 08:55 AM
my PB 1.5G4 is 2.5 years old, has upper ram slot failure that will give me a new motherboard via applecare. i will not upgrade at all to a MBP because the MB is fast enough for everything.

i think more along the line MB + a mac pro or similar.
the MBP costs about $3000. for that money you get a MB and you have money left to put it towards a refurb/used mac pro.

FFTT
Oct 25, 2006, 09:05 AM
If a PowerBook is doing everything you need to do without causing workflow issues, then there's really no rush.

You have a machine capable of running Leopard and all the current PPC and UB
applications.

WE still don't know what kind of heat issues will turn up in the new MBP line-up, so it may be better to hold off for Santa Rosa or better yet Penryn 45 nm chipsets..

Also keep in mind that ATI and NVidia will be working to reduce size, heat and power requirements on their video cards.

The end result should be FAST cool running notebooks with an average 8 hour battery life.

extraextra
Oct 25, 2006, 09:21 AM
I'm definitely waiting till Leopard. I'm hoping for a smaller MBP too though, the 12" Powerbook is such a great size.

By then my iBook and Windows laptop will be dead (or close to it). I don't know what I'd do with my Powerbook though. I think maybe I'm going to be waiting for a few years. :o

rkriheli
Oct 25, 2006, 09:33 AM
I'm READY!

I just placed my powerbook on ebay. In case anyone is interested:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Powerbook-G4-1-67ghz-15-4-in-2GB-plus-ipod-nano_W0QQitemZ150050551185QQihZ005QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yannick
Oct 25, 2006, 09:55 AM
Very curious to find out for all those that have a PowerBook, as to what are you holding out for in future versions of MacBook Pro's instead of purchasing the latest C2D Version today.

I was very impressed with the specs, but personally it's not enough for me to ditch my 18 month old PBG4.

For me what will tip the scales is:

- Waiting till my machine has reached the 2 year milestone, more so to reduce any buyers remorse of having a rapidly outclassed machine.
- Robson Cache: Really curious to see how this new technology will work. Who knows it may come to nothing, but I use potential technology as a way to prevent myself from rushing in every update!
- UXGA+ 1920x1080 on the 15.4" display. Especially with the possibility of "Resolution Independence" in Leopard. Dell does it, admittedly I have not seen a machine with that res in person.
- Possibility of design change?
- Possibility of Apple going with nvidia (GeForce Go 8xxx maybe on the horizon?) for it's graphic card's. Or even sticking with ATi but updating the card.
- Waiting till Leopard is released, that way I will not have to pay for the upgrade.

What about other current PowerBook owners out there? What will tip the scales for you?

I agree and feel the same.

wPod
Oct 25, 2006, 11:27 AM
when i get some $$$$$ !!!!

ive been wanting a C2D machine for a while simply becuase the C2D is the best chip on the market right now.

but design wise, i think the bezel on the top of the screen of the PB looks too big. yes, i know they added the iSight camera, but still, the bezel on the 15" pb looks much better!

and maybe some color variations like the iPod nano. . . id like that black on a MBP!

I also wouldnt mind waiting until lepord is out along with a better version of Boot Camp. I have had some difficulties with Boot camp and my mac mini. I dont want my HD to be at risk of some dumb boot camp failure!

MattyP
Oct 25, 2006, 11:33 AM
I'm kinda waiting to see if the macbook revisions happen soon and if they are significant enough for me to consider the lower end option, but my powerbook will soon hit the point where I will have trouble updating to new versions of OSX and have them be fully supported, (although he still is a great machine!) so I'm getting antsy to upgrade. I do want to wait until the MBP ships with Leopard however.

Or I might order one tomorrow.

benthewraith
Oct 25, 2006, 11:39 AM
I'm kinda waiting to see if the macbook revisions happen soon and if they are significant enough for me to consider the lower end option, but my powerbook will soon hit the point where I will have trouble updating to new versions of OSX and have them be fully supported, (although he still is a great machine!) so I'm getting antsy to upgrade. I do want to wait until the MBP ships with Leopard however.

Or I might order one tomorrow.

Order one tomorrow. ;)

YS2003
Oct 25, 2006, 11:42 AM
Even though I am interested in getting MBP (C2D), I have not yet been able to justify the purchase because my current PPC Macs are managing my computing needs so far to my satisfaction. My main apps (CS2 and Office 2004) are not yet Universal Binery, which is also one of the reasons I have not yet moved onto to MBP/MB.
I admit I am itching to get MBP now that it is updated with C2D chip. But, I would like to wait out a little more to see how the user reviews on C2D MBP would be like. Since CD MBPs have been plauged with some heat and other problems, I would like to see if this newly updated MBPs do not show the similar problems (or new problems).
All of my previous notebook purchases have followed that process and so far I have been lucky with my computers I picked.

sososowhat
Oct 25, 2006, 11:48 AM
When there's a 12" model! What's low-end about 12 inches? It's portable, it's easy to move with one hand, it's lighter, and it's plenty of real-estate for me to do 99% of what I do.

I'd love a nice bright screen, a c2d, 2 Gig, and an eSATA interface for super-fast external RAID at home & a 6-hour battery. But for me, 12" is the #1 feature.

Antares
Oct 25, 2006, 11:51 AM
Very good question, My PowerBook will be 7 years old this coming February. I don't immediately need a new portable. So, my wait will probably be a little longer. I bought an iMac this past January and my next purchase will likely be a MacPro. My MacBook Pro purchase will be postponed until I actually need one (which will not be before it has an HD screen, better graphics card, one of the upcoming processors and maybe some other features). I'm in no hurry just yet.

AdeFowler
Oct 25, 2006, 11:54 AM
I have such an emotional attachment to my Powerbook (15" 1.5ghz 1gb ram) I'm not sure I could ever trade her in :o

However, in May next year she'll be 3 (bless) and the Applecare will be finished; I'll buy a 17" MBP. A lucky windows using friend is having the PB.

Superdrive
Oct 25, 2006, 11:56 AM
I sold my 12" PowerBook 1.5 Ghz in August hoping to get a MacBook in September. Since the machines are still on the same rev since they came out, I've been holding off on picking one up. Other than my iMac G4, I am Macless. I'm going to need something sooner or later to fulfill my expose fix, but I don't see myself getting a new one until 2007 or when another sub 13" model appears.

Angelus
Oct 25, 2006, 12:42 PM
I own a 667 TiBook DVI and for the life of me I'm finding it very hard to take the plunge and order. I've become very attached to my little workhorse and to be honest it still does everything I want,albeit a bit slower. I guess I'll upgrade when Painter and Photoshop become unuseable and I can't animate anymore.
I could get one now but it seriously stretch me financially so I'm gonna wait til I'm an intern next year and actually making money.

brepublican
Oct 25, 2006, 01:04 PM
It'd make things easier if there were a 12" MBP...

But in all honesty, I dont see myself relinquishing my 12 incher til it dies. Literally. I dont even like thinking about it. I mean, much love to the MBP (those specs are pretty sweet), but... no thanks. Even with Leopard, 802.11n, built in toaster, and so on and so forth.

Just patiently waiting on that much anticipated 30" iMac, HDTV

emotion
Oct 25, 2006, 01:14 PM
I agree with the original poster and all the other 12" powerbook users saying they want a smaller mbp.

A macbook might do (but only if black price = white) but I'm at least going to wait until leopard to replace my 1.33GHz machine (even though it's groaning a little now).

They might release either an ultraportable (11") or a mbp 15 that might tempt me (full 64 bit).

daneoni
Oct 25, 2006, 01:17 PM
I also have a maxed out last rev PB and i was gonna wait for Leopard initially but the thing is i dont want to jump on Leopard till at least 10.5.3 (more sofwtare would be written and it would be more stable)

Also my PB whilst sufficient is really struglling with my video re-encoding task and even safari. I re-encode videos alot to iPod formats and they take as long as 30-50 mins on my PB and on the MBP CD i initially got these took 20-30 mins at most.

I guess i long for that kind of speed but i simply can't get it no matter what. Finally my course at university requires you to have a computer and its a windows based IT structure, so there are times the PB struggles to "fit in". Hence Bootcamp is a nice tool and mobility is also nice. which is why i ordered a C2D MBP last night. I'd ideally want to keep my PB as i absolutely LOVE it but for financial reasons won't be able to. So i'm calling all prospective buyers now.

Santa rosa sounds promising and all but unless there is a case redesign, i prolly won't be upgrading. 802.11n is NOT yet a standard and wont be till at least mid-08, 800MHz sounds good but wont really make a difference to me, NAND/ROBSON/CRESTLINE...well, i simply dont even know what those mean.

Then again i may just be trying to justify pulling the trigger now but unlikely, i wanted to upgrade in january but the last rev was rushed and as a result had lots of issues, which is why i went back and bought this PB anyways. Now i think the real PowerBook successor has debutted which is why im getting one.

HOWEVER, if i sense even the slightest issue such as whine, moo, latch problems then i'm keeping my PB and returning MBP for an iMac.

PS my PowerBook has the best latch ever....totally symetrical and it runs cool.