PDA

View Full Version : [PS3] New commercials

Haoshiro
Oct 25, 2006, 08:24 AM
Sony released some new commercials (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/new-sony-playstation-3-commercials), what do you think?

Personally, I think it's great marketing.

MacRumorUser
Oct 25, 2006, 08:52 AM
It's like Nazi propoganda all over again. :p

The blu-ray one is complete BS - but at least I got to see some of RFOM in action.

Haoshiro
Oct 25, 2006, 08:56 AM
It's like Nazi propoganda all over again. :p

The blu-ray one is complete BS - but at least I got to see some of RFOM in action.

Yeah, I wouldn't vouch for anything they are actually saying, but the marketting seems good.

macdaddy121
Oct 25, 2006, 09:08 AM
I love them. I'm sold even if it isn't true. Great marketing.

Chaszmyr
Oct 25, 2006, 09:22 AM
Brilliant advertisements. Some of the best I've ever seen. With that said, I don't think we have any real reason to believe that the PS3 is much better than the Xbox 360.

srobert
Oct 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
Interesting stuff. Much better than the PSP commercials (which I personally think are annoying and vulgar).

Those seem to be a little long for TV. Are they really TV commercials?

They make it sound like the cell processor is light years ahead of what we all have in our computers today. Is it still true that "…a normal computer can only handle a single task at any given time?" I thougth that today's computer could also perform multiple tasks in parallel. Just curious.

All that being said. I hope the PS3 becomes available in mass as soon as possible. I wasn't able to place a pre-order.

Bobdude161
Oct 25, 2006, 09:44 AM
I think to the average consumer, they wouldn't give a flying **** about processors and blu-ray, they just want to see nice shiny stuff like game play, which is briefly shown, and the pretty little silver lining that is a must. Whenever the PS3 price goes under 300 dollars that will be the day I might consider buying one. For now it's not worth it and the commercials have no influence on me whatsoever.

princealfie
Oct 25, 2006, 10:02 AM
Yawnn... sorry I rather buy that mac mini than the ps3 right now.

sikkinixx
Oct 25, 2006, 10:13 AM
Even though they have some fact streching (5GB for a DVD, sure if its Single layer? 50 for a BD?, yeah if its DL, use even terms) I reall liked them. They seemed well done, classy, pushing the imagine of a cutting edge system. The narrator has the perfect voice for the commercials too. Instead of Warhawk though, I thought Motorstorm would have been better since to me its one of the most graphically impressive games for the PS3 whereas Warhawk is pretty but not on the same level.

XNine
Oct 25, 2006, 10:25 AM
I'm wondering who's voice that is? It kinda sounds like this actor, James Remar http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001664/

The commercials are pretty cool. Technically the schpeel is correct about the POSSIBLE performance of Blueray, but I haven't seen it measure up to anything like I just saw...

FleurDuMal
Oct 25, 2006, 10:37 AM
I like the adverts. They almost work on me.

However, we're all techno-geeks to some extent. These adverts will not interest the average consumer. Does you're average mum buying for her 10 year old son really care about cell processors and Blu-Ray?

I'm sure someone will tell me they do, but I just can't see those adverts being suitable for normal television broadcast. Perhaps stick 'em on in gaming shops or special events, but not in the Coronation Street ad break.

sikkinixx
Oct 25, 2006, 11:07 AM
I'm sure someone will tell me they do, but I just can't see those adverts being suitable for normal television broadcast. Perhaps stick 'em on in gaming shops or special events, but not in the Coronation Street ad break.

they are too long anyway :D 1:43 for the first one so unless Sony buys up a few blocks for it...

I think these do a better job than the 360 ads ,which a non-gamer would completely tune out because I know my parents do. The PS3 ads though, almost don't seem like video game ads and the guys low voice and nice visuals might catch the eye of a non-gamer and kinda let them in on the hype.

Or they could ignore them all together :D

And PSM3 mag has some videos of their new PS3 if you wanna see some men giggling like little girls

http://www.psm3mag.com/page/psm3?entry=ps3_movies_here

The system load takes a while but the time it takes from turning on the controller to locking it in with the system is about 2 seconds, which is kinda gravy.

2nyRiggz
Oct 25, 2006, 11:23 AM
Good stuff but they seem very serious don't they:p
I was hoping for a playstation 18 commercial but it was cool...very serious like

Damn right the cell is smarter than me...the cookie monster is smarter than me:)

Bless

kinesin
Oct 25, 2006, 12:28 PM
Both disappointed in IMO - plus i don't like been lied to and the BS alarm went off at the 5G DVD size, and then again at the 50GB is double the 30GB HD.

The real issue for me, was they both were suggesting that the PS3 could render a field of flowers, or the rain drops - all lovely and HD 'that's the power of the playstation' they it cuts to the games and it's :eek: that's not nice! It's a massive down grade from nature in HD to ingame shots, actually made the games look bad imo

XNine
Oct 25, 2006, 12:29 PM
Under one of the options, there's an option to INSTALL PACKAGE FILE. This may mean that Linux is indeed already on the machine...

BlizzardBomb
Oct 25, 2006, 01:58 PM
I thought the ads were great. Just two teeny tiny problems... Too long and they were pushing it with all that 4874984x more storage space etc. stuff.

princealfie
Oct 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
Sony could use some lessons from the apple marketing team about keeping things direct and simple rather than showing off. The mac does what it does best which is compute... the Sony ads need to emphasize the games not the bells and whistles.

GFLPraxis
Oct 25, 2006, 02:55 PM
BLAST PROCESSING!

Haha, very well done commercials, definitely some MASSIVE exaggurations but from a marketing standpoint it's good.

BoyBach
Oct 25, 2006, 03:03 PM
Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!

You know that you've got problems when you are launching in under a months time and all your adverts can boast about is high capacity storage on the disc's, the processor can calculate grenade shrapnel and the fact that the customer needs to spend upwards of 1000 on a new HD television to enjoy the PS3 experience.

Where is the fun? Where are the games?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Sony are in terminal decline (PSP, UMD, battery recalls, PS3 delays, root-kits, AMTRAC, Blu-Ray) and the PS3 is going to be the torpedo that finally sinks them.

GFLPraxis
Oct 25, 2006, 03:08 PM
Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!

You know that you've got problems when you are launching in under a months time and all your adverts can boast about is high capacity storage on the disc's, the processor can calculate grenade shrapnel and the fact that the customer needs to spend upwards of £1000 on a new HD television to enjoy the PS3 experience.

Where is the fun? Where are the games?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Sony are in terminal decline (PSP, UMD, battery recalls, PS3 delays, root-kits, AMTRAC, Blu-Ray) and the PS3 is going to be the torpedo that finally sinks them.

It's good marketing for the uniformed consumer. Generally, the average consumer IS dumb enough to be swayed by that stuff. Seriously, I had a guy come up to me saying not to buy MP3 players because he say MP4 players on eBay and MP4 players must be so much better.

While we hardcore gamers laugh at the implication that Blu-ray produces "higher definition" than HD-DVD, most people will believe it. Which is why it's good marketing, even if we hardcore people shake our heads.

RoxStrongo
Oct 25, 2006, 04:00 PM
boring, boring, boring. the fact that you don't actually see any games until about a minute in is a big mistake because i can't imagine it holding anyone's interest til then. it's like they've totally forgotten they have a playstation brand and are trying to push themselves with numbers and stats that really mean **** all rather than saying 'you know that playstation2 you bought or played on or was at least aware of? well this is better and cooler than that.' the 3rd place campaign had 5-10 second stings and worked a treat coz it promoted interest rather than boring you to tears.

Shadow
Oct 25, 2006, 04:07 PM
Fantasic. Some of the best adverts I've ever seen. I'd like to see them on telly!:eek:

FleurDuMal
Oct 25, 2006, 04:33 PM
It's good marketing for the uniformed consumer. Generally, the average consumer IS dumb enough to be swayed by that stuff. Seriously, I had a guy come up to me saying not to buy MP3 players because he say MP4 players on eBay and MP4 players must be so much better.

While we hardcore gamers laugh at the implication that Blu-ray produces "higher definition" than HD-DVD, most people will believe it. Which is why it's good marketing, even if we hardcore people shake our heads.

You mean like the shampoo adverts that always have some new kind of amino-acid or complex protein to keep our hair stronger and shinier?

Or the toothbrush with different shaped and coloured bristles to reach plaque which other toothbrushes can't reach?

Or yoghurt drinks with 'good bacteria' which make you live longer, even though for a third of the price you could just buy plain yoghurt and some fruit with the same effect?

The whole purpose of the advertising industry is to reduce us to naive, child-like and unquestioning consumers. Which is why I despise it all.

GFLPraxis
Oct 25, 2006, 04:40 PM
You mean like the shampoo adverts that always have some new kind of amino-acid or complex protein to keep our hair stronger and shinier?

Or the toothbrush with different shaped and coloured bristles to reach plaque which other toothbrushes can't reach?

Or yoghurt drinks with 'good bacteria' which make you live longer, even though for a third of the price you could just buy plain yoghurt and some fruit with the same effect?

The whole purpose of the advertising industry is to reduce us to naive, child-like and unquestioning consumers. Which is why I despise it all.

Precisely. And by marketing standards, this is good marketing. It's stupid and idiotic, but it sells the product. I don't like the advertisements, but they are done well enough to convince consumers, even if the whole thing is despicable. :(

takao
Oct 25, 2006, 05:04 PM
yeah blast processing, 8 processors and the sunflower stuff was worth a laugh

but thats marketing